Favorite Aviation Films

Old April 18th 20, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

Default Favorite Aviation Films

On 4/17/2020 4:28 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 10:45:57 -0700, sgs135c wrote:

Flight of the Phoenix was neat, especially as they actually built and
flew the aircraft - but a black spot is that Mantz was killed doing so.
The film wasn't worth that. Which reminds me, Scholl died doing shots for
Top Gun - jeezthis make-believe is dangerous!

I've seen the film and read the book. The book was better.

"Ditto" on the FotP book/film comparison. Has anyone ever seen a film they
considered better than the book from which it was derived? (Musta been a
really lousy book IMO, dry chuckle...)

---
https://www.avg.com

Old April 18th 20, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Salmon[_3_]

There was a film with gliding in it about 40/50 years ago, something about
Bulldog Drummond played by Richard Green. Can't rememeber how it fitted the
plot but he was asked to test fly what I think was a Foka 4. He climbed in
complete with bonedome, was towed to 4000ft, by one of the voluptuous
scantilly clad female villains, who then knocked his tailplane off. He
bailed only to find the rip cord handle come off, and for the next
seemingly 5 minutes fell, until he managed to open the pack manually.
Not amongst the great aviation films, but a good laugh at the absurdity.
Dave

Old April 18th 20, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sat, 18 Apr 2020 06:59:20 -0600, Bob Whelan wrote:

"Ditto" on the FotP book/film comparison. Has anyone ever seen a film
they considered better than the book from which it was derived? (Musta
been a really lousy book IMO, dry chuckle...)

Yes, one and a score-draw:

The better film was "War and Peace", the 1966-67 Soviet version directed
by Sergei Bondarchuk. Very long, but excellent. I've read the book, but
though it didn't really make it, especially the very long end were it
sort of dribbled away to nothing.

The score-draw is MASH. Both book and film are excellent, though I'd
award a big thumbs-down to the TV series.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old April 18th 20, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Piece of Cake. Not a movie but a mini series. Not exactly upbeat, but a great watch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbeA504VzR8
Old April 18th 20, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Avoid at all costs: The Aeronauts, every bit as bad as I imagined it
might be. "Based on a true story", well a balloon went real high in
1864, that's about all they got right.
Old April 18th 20, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Love Story?Â* The book was written after the movie was released. Both
were crap.Â* Oh, and no flying.

On 4/18/2020 6:59 AM, Bob Whelan wrote:
On 4/17/2020 4:28 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 10:45:57 -0700, sgs135c wrote:

Flight of the Phoenix was neat, especially as they actually built
and flew the aircraft - but a black spot is that Mantz was killed
doing so. The film wasn't worth that. Which reminds me, Scholl died
doing shots for
Top Gun - jeezthis make-believe is dangerous!

I've seen the film and read the book. The book was better.

"Ditto" on the FotP book/film comparison. Has anyone ever seen a film
they considered better than the book from which it was derived? (Musta
been a really lousy book IMO, dry chuckle...)

---
https://www.avg.com

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 18th 20, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 6:59:25 AM UTC-6, Bob Whelan wrote:
On 4/17/2020 4:28 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 10:45:57 -0700, sgs135c wrote:

Flight of the Phoenix was neat, especially as they actually built and
flew the aircraft - but a black spot is that Mantz was killed doing so.
The film wasn't worth that. Which reminds me, Scholl died doing shots for
Top Gun - jeezthis make-believe is dangerous!

I've seen the film and read the book. The book was better.

"Ditto" on the FotP book/film comparison. Has anyone ever seen a film they
considered better than the book from which it was derived? (Musta been a
really lousy book IMO, dry chuckle...)

---
https://www.avg.com

Catch 22, book and film both excellent.
Old April 18th 20, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 7:42:27 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
The Blue Max...Â* All of the airplanes built for that movie lived at a
grass strip between Dallas and Denton, TX.Â* I landed a Stearman there in
1985 and had a tour.Â* Really nice.

It's listed on the Abandoned Airfields website: http://www.airfields-freeman.com/index.htm

Hartlee Airfield was the best grass strip in Dallas. http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/...NE.htm#hartlee

I owned a J3 in the early 90's and we could still land there.

If you have endless time, look up abandoned airstrips in your area.

Bob
Old April 18th 20, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sat, 18 Apr 2020 11:02:17 -0700, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 6:59:25 AM UTC-6, Bob Whelan wrote:
On 4/17/2020 4:28 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 10:45:57 -0700, sgs135c wrote:

Flight of the Phoenix was neat, especially as they actually built
and flew the aircraft - but a black spot is that Mantz was killed
doing so. The film wasn't worth that. Which reminds me, Scholl died
doing shots for Top Gun - jeezthis make-believe is dangerous!

I've seen the film and read the book. The book was better.

"Ditto" on the FotP book/film comparison. Has anyone ever seen a film
they considered better than the book from which it was derived? (Musta
been a really lousy book IMO, dry chuckle...)

---
https://www.avg.com

Catch 22, book and film both excellent.

I like the book a lot, but would cheerfully never see the film again.

"Memphis Belle", OTOH is a film I enjoyed.

Does "Chain Lightning", the Bogart B-movie, count as a gliding film?

He did glide her in to land at Idlewild after running out of fuel over
Boston enroute from Nome, Alaska to NYC via the North Pole, and at least
the opening shots were at RAF Bassingbourne, a WW2 B-17 base which I know
well - used to fly models there and its on my route from home to the
gliding club.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old April 18th 20, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Gypsy Moths with Burt Lancaster, Deborah Kerr and Gene Hackman.

"When the ground comes up at you like a sledgehammer, and the sweat freezes on your brow; when jumping isn't only a way to live, but a way to die, too... you're a Gypsy Moth."