Formation Flying

Old March 6th 05, 10:22 PM
Slick

Default Formation Flying

Is there an etiquette to formation flying? Is there a book or list of
general rules to follow?

Old March 6th 05, 10:29 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Slick" wrote in message ...
Is there an etiquette to formation flying? Is there a book or list of
general rules to follow?

There is some good information in the book and videos at the following link.

http://www.buildersbooks.com/flying_skills_sport.htm

KB

Old March 6th 05, 10:31 PM
Dudley Henriques

The EAA recommends the T34 Formation Manual and pushes it' for civilian
formation flying. I totally agree with EAA on this and find the
standardization procedures to be conducive to the flight safety issues
involved with formation.
I recommend this path to everyone who asks about this issue.
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot; CFI; Retired
dhenriquestrashatearthlinktrashdotnet
(take out the trash :-)
"Slick" wrote in message ...
Is there an etiquette to formation flying? Is there a book or list of
general rules to follow?

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old March 7th 05, 01:11 AM
Blanche

I believe the Bonanza Society uses the T34 material as the basis for
its formation flight class. That's the one everyone must take (or
similar course) before they're allowed to do the formation flight
into Oshkosh each years.

Old March 7th 05, 01:26 AM
Eric Rood

The T-34 manual on that website is practically useless.
The best book available to the general public that I have found is
"Every Man A Tiger". It contains two or three chapters devoted to
formation flying and safety. Included is a formation briefing form.
Anyone who flies close formation will tell you that it is hard work.

Old March 7th 05, 01:50 AM
Dudley Henriques

This is correct. I believe the Bonanza Society has it's own program, but it
takes heavily from the T34 Manual and so states in it's own formation
material.
Dudley

Old March 7th 05, 02:09 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Blanche wrote:

I believe the Bonanza Society uses the T34 material as the basis for
its formation flight class. That's the one everyone must take (or
similar course) before they're allowed to do the formation flight
into Oshkosh each years.

The bonanza and T-34 use the same points to line up (intersection of
inboard trailing edge of the aileron and second(?) cowl latch. That will
give you a 45 degree line.

The Yak Assn. and Swift Assn. also have their similar versions of the
manual.

Yes, there IS a definite etiquette to formation flying and MUST be
adhered to. I agree with Dudley on this, as it i mandatory that all
members of a formation know and adhere to the agreed-upon rules of the
flight.

Formation flying can be a lot of fun (and hard work, too) and will
enhance your flying skills.
Old March 7th 05, 02:22 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Eric Rood" wrote in message
The T-34 manual on that website is practically useless.

Hmm, considering that it is THE most referenced resource when you talk with
the various amateur formation groups, I'd say "useless" is simply wrong.
The T-34 manual is the basis for most of the amateur formation training
clinics that are held every year. It gives pilots a common set of terms and
procedures, as well as a common set of visual signals that are used for
communicating within a formation without creating a bunch of radio chatter.

KB

Old March 7th 05, 03:13 AM
Dudley Henriques

You are correct about the T34 Manual.
Also, the T34 Manual is recognized and recommended by every competent source
on formation flying in aviation. What makes it so useful for General
Aviation is that it stresses a SIMPLE formation doctrine instead of covering
all the possibilities and concentrates on just the formations that will be
useful for getting planes and pilots to the destinations together and in one
piece, then doing a simple formation display, which is the very essence of
General Aviation formation flying .
The T34 Manual is good enough for EAA, and good enough for Bob Hoover, and
it's good enough for me, and I've flown and taught a LOT of formation!! :-))

Old March 8th 05, 03:18 AM
jsmith

Okay, maybe useless is the wrong word.
Grossly inadequate is more descriptive.
The manual by itself is too basic and leaves out too much really
important information.
If you can get your hands on the US Navy T-34C manual, you will have
something practical.