A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Scary story about landing on a Lake Tahoe golf course

Old July 31st 20, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

Default Scary story about landing on a Lake Tahoe golf course

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 3:30:50 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Monday, 27 July 2020 07:33:50 UTC+1, Charles Longley wrote:
I would think land gear up. It might float indefinitely. Depends on how much foam/wood is in it. I would certainly try and get out as quick as I could.

All the recommendations I've heard, including in for instance Finland and Sweden, say wheel down

It helps break the surface, and otherwise the belly gets grabbed and the glider can get sucked in and turn over.

This one resulted in a broken glider. Seem to recall advice that water landings should be downwind so you get blown towards the shore. Some high altitude lakes out west are pretty cold and may be tolerable in July/August. A high school chum died of hypothermia after capsizing a kayak in Puget Sound. He made it to shore and out of the water and dropped dead. His partner survived. Lake Tahoe is a similar temperature below about 18 inches is around 53F. The surface temperature may get to 66F in July.
On August 7, 2003, at 1415 mountain daylight time, a Schempp-Hirth Ventus B/16.6 glider, N25RN, was substantially damaged during a precautionary landing in Gross Reservoir, near Boulder, Colorado. The commercial certificated flight instructor, the sole occupant on board, was not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed. No flight plan had been filed for the cross-country flight being operated under the provisions of Title 14 CFR Part 91. The glider departed Boulder, Colorado, at 1130.

According to the pilot, he was soaring 8 miles northeast of Mount Evans, when he noted the formation of thunderstorms and rain showers along his route of flight. He elected to return to Boulder. During his return flight, thunderstorms developed along the foothills, just west of Boulder. Due to the inadequate lift to sustain flight and with unsuitable terrain between his position and Boulder, the pilot decided to ditch the glider in Gross Reservoir. The pilot reported that he positioned the glider to land into the wind, a "west/northwest direction[,] parallel to the shore." During the impact with the water, the glider canopy was destroyed and the wings were separated from the fuselage at mid-span.
/unquote

I don't recall if this was gear up or down.

Frank Whiteley
Old July 31st 20, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

a Schempp-Hirth Ventus B/16.6 glider

How about the landing flaps/spoilers.

If those were out, it might explain the wing damage?

Old July 31st 20, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

Darren Braun wrote on 7/31/2020 8:03 AM:
Other consideration is that a lot of pilots now have LifePo4 batteries onboard. Wonder how those fair in fresh water landing and if any concern.

Salt water landings... yikes, the corrosion. Imagine it would trash the instrumentation.

As long as the cells in the battery aren't damaged enough to expose the innards to
the water, there shouldn't be any problems. I suspect damage to the battery is
much less likely in a water landing than a land landing.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1
Old July 31st 20, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 8:06:54 AM UTC-7, Frank Whiteley wrote:
I would think land gear up. It might float indefinitely. Depends on how much foam/wood is in it. I would certainly try and get out as quick as I could.

All the recommendations I've heard, including in for instance Finland and Sweden, say wheel down

It helps break the surface, and otherwise the belly gets grabbed and the glider can get sucked in and turn over.

This one resulted in a broken glider. Seem to recall advice that water landings should be downwind so you get blown towards the shore. Some high altitude lakes out west are pretty cold and may be tolerable in July/August. A high school chum died of hypothermia after capsizing a kayak in Puget Sound. He made it to shore and out of the water and dropped dead. His partner survived. Lake Tahoe is a similar temperature below about 18 inches is around 53F. The surface temperature may get to 66F in July.
On August 7, 2003, at 1415 mountain daylight time, a Schempp-Hirth Ventus B/16.6 glider, N25RN, was substantially damaged during a precautionary landing in Gross Reservoir, near Boulder, Colorado. The commercial certificated flight instructor, the sole occupant on board, was not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed. No flight plan had been filed for the cross-country flight being operated under the provisions of Title 14 CFR Part 91. The glider departed Boulder, Colorado, at 1130.

According to the pilot, he was soaring 8 miles northeast of Mount Evans, when he noted the formation of thunderstorms and rain showers along his route of flight. He elected to return to Boulder. During his return flight, thunderstorms developed along the foothills, just west of Boulder. Due to the inadequate lift to sustain flight and with unsuitable terrain between his position and Boulder, the pilot decided to ditch the glider in Gross Reservoir. The pilot reported that he positioned the glider to land into the wind, a "west/northwest direction[,] parallel to the shore." During the impact with the water, the glider canopy was destroyed and the wings were separated from the fuselage at mid-span.
/unquote

Frank Whiteley

The longer this thread goes on the better Carson looks for options B and C.
Old July 31st 20, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

When you talk about Carson are you talking about Carson City Airport or
somewhere else?

On 7/31/2020 1:08 PM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 8:06:54 AM UTC-7, Frank Whiteley wrote:

/unquote

Frank Whiteley

The longer this thread goes on the better Carson looks for options B and C.

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 31st 20, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 4:56:33 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
Good part was it was late in the day and there were no golfers on this hole:

https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=8033935

I just checked google earth, what hole did the landing occur on?
Old August 1st 20, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech
external usenet poster

How can you land out on a flight with a glider that is averaging 83 to 1 glide over the entire flight?? (See the OLC link at top.)To me that would be almost like having a motor. Seems like really bad planning.
Old August 1st 20, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:58:09 PM UTC-5, Soartech wrote:
How can you land out on a flight with a glider that is averaging 83 to 1 glide over the entire flight?? (See the OLC link at top.)To me that would be almost like having a motor. Seems like really bad planning.

Gliders have been landing out for as long as they have been flying.
While a great ship offers amazing performance, (not like I own one though),
the inevitable victory belongs to gravity.
Nobody got hurt, Success I say, and a valuable lesson to be shared without criticism.
Respect,
Scott
Old August 1st 20, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster

^^^Yep what he said! ^^^
Old August 1st 20, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Shelton[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 11:59:08 AM UTC-7, Steve Koerner wrote:
Some of the posts here about water landing could give the impression that it's not so bad. Sometimes it isn't.

Readers should bear in mind that those who drown while so doing are not posting their story in counterpoint. I have just one friend who's ever attempted a water landing with his glider. He won't be posting.

That's a very unfortunate point Steve. I paraglide at a coastal site near the San Francisco Bay. Hang glider and paraglider pilots drown there nearly every year. Although water landings are usually gentle, any injury or loss of conciousness can be deadly in the water. People get stuck in their harness, drown in surf, smashed into rocks, or succumb to hypothermia. If the water is 32 degrees and you're a poor swimmer, then banging up the sailplane on dry land could be the better option.