Paint shops in Atlanta area ?

Old April 20th 07, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike

Default Paint shops in Atlanta area ?

Due to some peeling clear coar, slightly thinning base coat in a couple
of places, and some recent minor hail damage (with payment from
insurance) it looks like we're due for a paint job on our Archer.
Can anyone suggest any good shops (or ones to stay away from) in the
Atlanta area? All windows were replaced with a recent interior
refurbishment, so all we should need is basic paint, probably a couple
of fairings, and some minor fiberglass touch-up.

Thanks
Mike Pvt/IFR N44979 PA28-181 at RYY

Old April 20th 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave Butler

Mike wrote:
Due to some peeling clear coar, slightly thinning base coat in a couple
of places, and some recent minor hail damage (with payment from
insurance) it looks like we're due for a paint job on our Archer.
Can anyone suggest any good shops (or ones to stay away from) in the
Atlanta area? All windows were replaced with a recent interior
refurbishment, so all we should need is basic paint, probably a couple
of fairings, and some minor fiberglass touch-up.

Depends on what you mean by "area"... and also depends on what you
consider "good". Some people are perfectly satisfied with paint jobs
that others consider unacceptable.

Anyway, I and my partners were satisfied with the job done by Grace Air
at KCKI, near Florence, SC.

Here's a good reference article about evaluating paint shops:
http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182829-1.html

Dave
Old April 20th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike

Dave Butler wrote:
Mike wrote:
[...]

Good point(s)...
Florence is a little further that I'd like to go. I was thinking of
staying within about 200 miles (or 3 hours driving time). I figure
we'll have to make at least 3 trips, including two (drop-off and
pick-up) that will require another aircraft or driving.
We're not looking for either absolute lowest price or absolute highest
quality, but rather a middle-of-the-road good quality for a reasonable
price without a lot of "bells & whistles".
Thanks for the pointer to the Avweb article, I'll take a look.

Mike

Old April 21st 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Stephen N Mills

We had our '75 Cardinal RG painted by Grace Air 2 1/2 years ago. I am
not real happy with the results. It took significatly longer than
they had estimated. They did not replace all of the plastic stop
buttons on the top of the flaps. And now we have more places where
the paint is off than I think we should. The paint looks good, I just
feel that they were just a little bit careless in their quality
control. Next paint job, we will find a different shop.

- Steve Mills
N2679V Vicky @ PDK