Bounced landing recovery?

Old April 21st 05, 04:32 AM

Default Bounced landing recovery?

When I look at the NTSB reports it seems pretty often a bounced landing and
loss of directional control is cited as a cause of accidents. Many of the
pilots involved were highly experienced. My question is why isn't
recovery from bounced landings stressed more in private pilot training? I
reviewed several of my Private pilot texts and none really had much to say
about bounces. I would be interested in knowing the newsgroup's opinions
on this subject.
Thanks,
Greg M
Old April 21st 05, 04:45 AM
Peter R.

My question is why isn't
recovery from bounced landings stressed more in private pilot training? I
reviewed several of my Private pilot texts and none really had much to say
about bounces. I would be interested in knowing the newsgroup's opinions
on this subject.

The theory of "anticipated outcome" probably plays a role here. A pilot
makes 700 successful landings and therefore becomes complacent about the
701st landing, expecting that it will also be successful. One bounce and
the pilot insist on recovering to an immediate landing, rather than going
around to try again.

--
Peter

Old April 21st 05, 09:12 AM
Roger

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 21:51:31 -0700, "mindenpilot"
wrote:

"Peter R." wrote in message

My question is why isn't
recovery from bounced landings stressed more in private pilot training?
reviewed several of my Private pilot texts and none really had much to
say
about bounces. I would be interested in knowing the newsgroup's
opinions
on this subject.

The theory of "anticipated outcome" probably plays a role here. A pilot
makes 700 successful landings and therefore becomes complacent about the
701st landing, expecting that it will also be successful. One bounce and
the pilot insist on recovering to an immediate landing, rather than going
around to try again.

I haven't had any unsuccessful landings since my first as a student.
An unsuccessful landing is one where you can't reuse the airplane
without at least some maintenance.

I have no idea as to how many landings I have now, but it's a good
many thousand and I still bounce one occasionally. If I do, I don't
have to stop and think, should I add power, when should I add power if
necessary, does this look like I can salvage it? It's all automatic.
If it doesn't look good, I do, if it does I land.

Three weeks ago I was doing some really short field landings after a
long layoff. The first was a steep slipping turn from down wind to
the numbers. I rolled level, but the sink rate was a tad high so I
gave it a touch of power. Unfortunately it was a tad too much. I
could have cleared a bus, but I did not have to add power and it did
not bounce on the next touchdown. Other than being really sloppy and
looking the part it was a gentle landing including the bounce.

OTOH with some nasty, gusty cross winds I have had to go around as
many as 3 times before landing. Friend of mine in an Aerocoupe made
it 5 go arounds the same day.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
--
Peter

Well said.

Old April 21st 05, 09:25 AM
G Farris

I never bounced a landing as a student - at least nothing that a touch of
power wouldn't smooth right out. Just luck? When it finally did happen to me
I was certified, with over 100 hours, and I was moving up to a C-182.
Fortunately, I had an instructor with me because I was training in new
equipment. He took the plane after a second hard bounce and did the go-around,
when I was ready to dive for a third bounce. Probably would have ended badly.
Having read about it so much, I was surprised how unprepared I was when it
really happened.

Now I would like to believe I am better prepared.

G Faris

Old April 21st 05, 09:35 AM
Roger

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 04:45:49 GMT, George Patterson

When I look at the NTSB reports it seems pretty often a bounced landing and
loss of directional control is cited as a cause of accidents. Many of the
pilots involved were highly experienced. My question is why isn't
recovery from bounced landings stressed more in private pilot training?

They probably figure that normal students will get plenty of practice during the
course of standard training.

I ever met any that didn't:-)) and that does include me.
At least I never broke anything on landing.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.

Old April 21st 05, 03:57 PM
Rolf Blom

On 2005-04-21 09:30, Nomen Nescio wrote:

-snip-

"Bounced landing"?
What's that?

It's when you land too fast, and the plane still has enough lift to
bounce you back up; you can start oscillating or 'gallop' if you use
elevator to get back down, since lowering the nose adds speed & lift
again. Can be a nasty roller-coaster ride along the runway.

You need to _hold_ a nose-up attitude, and add throttle to stop the
oscillation. Go around if the field is too short for a second touchdown.

/Rolf

Old April 21st 05, 04:32 PM
Guy Elden Jr

My problem is I end up "bouncing" in the flare. I usually come in a
little too hot in the 172SP I fly, and I've never been able to really
master the flare in that thing. It's a very sensitive beast... just a
little too much elevator and it wants to climb like nobody's business,
instead of settle nicely into a flare. A touch of power settles things
out though when that happens, and I usually grease it on in, albeit
several hundred feet down the runway. Fortunately I don't have to land
on short runways much.