Bounced landing recovery?

Old April 21st 05, 04:39 PM

Greg
In 40 years of instructing, I never had a student pilot that didn't
bounce a few times on landing. When they got upset I told them, Hell if
you made every landing perfectly you wouldn't know how to handle one
that wasn't!
As for professional pilots losing one on landing, without being there
to see it, what do I know about what was going on?
I'm interested to hear the definition of "highly experienced". ??
And, I teach all my students to keep on flying until the dust settles.

Old April 21st 05, 04:43 PM
Brian

Nothing like a little tailwheel training (especially wheel landings) to
help erase that "anticipated outcome" feeling.

I never really learned how to do a go around from a bounce until I
started flying tailwheel.

Brian

Old April 21st 05, 04:44 PM
Dan Luke

"Guy Elden Jr" wrote:
I usually come in a little too hot

Well, stop doing that! That's your *whole* problem.

I've never been able to really
master the flare in that thing. It's a very sensitive beast

No, it isn't.

... just a
little too much elevator and it wants to climb like nobody's business,
instead of settle nicely into a flare.

Too fast, too fast, too fast.

. Fortunately I don't have to land
on short runways much.

Indeed. Slow down there, cowpoke. You should be at 70 KIAS max on short
final.
--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old April 21st 05, 06:28 PM
Guy Elden Jr

I totally agree... my problem is due more to fear of stalling I think,
even though I know from experience that the plane will not stall at 65,
60, even 55 kias.

Old April 21st 05, 06:53 PM
Ron McKinnon

"Guy Elden Jr" wrote in message
oups.com...
I totally agree... my problem is due more to fear of stalling I think,
even though I know from experience that the plane will not stall at 65,
60, even 55 kias.

I remind you that the plane can of course stall at any airspeed. An
abrupt pull-up, for example ...

Old April 21st 05, 10:07 PM
Dan Luke

"Guy Elden Jr" wrote:
I totally agree... my problem is due more to fear of stalling I think,
even though I know from experience that the plane will not stall at 65,
60, even 55 kias.

Not technically correct, but I know what you mean.

Well, you'll just have to get over it if you want consistently good landings.
Concentrate on getting that short approach speed right and everything else
will start to work a whole lot better.

As for the flare, don't think about it. Rather, as the plane settles,
concentrate on keeping the wheels off the runway. Prevent the airplane from
touching down as long as you can by pulling the yoke back. Don't let the
stall horn scare you--it's supposed to blow if you're doing this right--just
keep easing the nose up until the mains touch. Keep the yoke back as you
roll out. There, you did it!
--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old April 22nd 05, 01:01 AM
Newps

John Galban wrote:

For an experienced pilot, a regular bounce (off the mains) should be
no big deal. You have the option of adding a touch of power,
restabilizing, then flaring again, or you can just take it around.

In a 182 if you bounce back in the air you do not move the controls,
stay in your landing attitude, increase RPM by 50-100 and let it land.
You start rowing the controls is when you start losing parts.
Old April 22nd 05, 02:37 AM
john smith

Solid advice, on the mark.