Jeppesen FliteMap- where do you put your laptop?

Old March 2nd 04, 07:24 AM
Bill Padley

Default Jeppesen FliteMap- where do you put your laptop?

Hi all..

just upgraded my excellent Jepp flitestar IFR to flitemap (very good deal it
was too ! )

I bought a new laptop which prompted this , the very small Sony TR1MP...
Im very impressed with the software indeed, but one question to those who
have Flitemap..

where do you put your laptop , so you can use it? - is it actually usable in
flight, or do you really someone in the right hand seat to be using it?
Given that my laptop is small , the coaming would be the obvious, but even
that would restrict the view

Any answers appreciated..its a great bit of kit!

Bill Padley
London

Old March 2nd 04, 01:32 PM
Dan Luke

"Bill Padley" wrote:
where do you put your laptop , so you can use it?

I have a Sony PCG-TR1AP that I use for WxWorx satellite weather. It
rides on the right seat or in the lap of whomever sits there.

- is it actually usable in flight, or do you really someone in the

right
hand seat to be using it?

Either works, but both are unhandy.

Given that my laptop is small , the coaming would be the obvious,
but even that would restrict the view

Mine won't fit on the coaming - I fly a C-172RG

..its a great bit of kit!

I like the notebook pc and WxWorx, but but having all that stuff in the
cabin is a bit of a kluge. Someday I'll move up to a certified, panel
mounted solution.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old March 2nd 04, 02:59 PM
C J Campbell

Most people put the laptop on the seat next to them or have a passenger hold
it. When they get tired of not being able to see it (either the passenger is
not holding it just right or the bright sun makes the screen impossible to
see) and tired of the power save feature turning off the laptop at
inopportune times and tired of the lid closing unexpectedly and tired of the
system crashing unexpectedly and tired of the batteries dying and tired of
cables wandering all over the cockpit and tired of the laptop falling onto
the floor and tired of having it and its cables crushed under the seat
tracks and tired of it falling out of the airplane and onto the concrete
whenever anyone gets in or out and tired of passengers tripping over cables
and falling on their faces onto the concrete when they get in or out -- then
they put the laptop away and never use it again.

Old March 2nd 04, 06:05 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
[...]

Exactly, my experience with 'in-flight' laptop use....... not terribly
practical nor probably very safe....

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL
Student-IASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old March 2nd 04, 07:33 PM
MC

C J Campbell wrote:

Most people put the laptop on the seat next to them or have a passenger hold
it. When they get tired of not being able to see it (either the passenger is
not holding it just right or the bright sun makes the screen impossible to
see) and tired of the power save feature turning off the laptop at
inopportune times and tired of the lid closing unexpectedly and tired of the
system crashing unexpectedly and tired of the batteries dying and tired of
cables wandering all over the cockpit and tired of the laptop falling onto
the floor and tired of having it and its cables crushed under the seat
tracks and tired of it falling out of the airplane and onto the concrete
whenever anyone gets in or out and tired of passengers tripping over cables
and falling on their faces onto the concrete when they get in or out -- then
they put the laptop away and never use it again.

So true.
But it's still usefull to take a sideways peek every now and then to confirm
the current versus desired position., especially in non-coastal area of
Australia where radio navaids tend to be few and very far between.
Old March 2nd 04, 08:35 PM
Blanche

I usually leave the portable locked in the trunk of the car.

Old March 2nd 04, 09:50 PM
Bill Padley

LOL

cheers for the advice..
I thought that may be the case...
I have a Skyforce 111c in the aircraft anyway , but as I already had
Flitestar IFR and a new laptop, it was not too expensive to upgrade to
flitemap....
I wonder who they market this at then ?

Bill Padley
London

Old March 3rd 04, 12:34 AM
Doug

In the baggage compartment.
Old March 3rd 04, 12:59 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Doug" wrote in message
om...
In the baggage compartment.

My wife or the kids play games on it in the back seat.

Old March 3rd 04, 07:13 AM
Bill Padley

Guys

anyone tried this...?
looks like a great solution to the laptop issue , especially if you are an
aircraft owner , where the wiring could be tidied up and left in the
aircraft
http://www.navaero.com/index.html

Bill Padley
London