IFR reading

Old February 20th 05, 05:24 PM
Paul Folbrecht

Default IFR reading

Am finishing up Machado's exellent Instrument Flying Handbook now.
Really enjoyed that - lots of good stuff on approaches (especially) that
you don't get in the training materials.

So, what else is must reading for the newly-minted IFR pilot??

Thanks for all the replies on the staying-current question - good stuff!
I intend to make every effort to stay current and do a lot of
real-world instrument flying in the coming months!

~Paul

Old February 20th 05, 08:46 PM
John Clonts

"Paul Folbrecht" wrote in message
Am finishing up Machado's exellent Instrument Flying Handbook now. Really enjoyed that - lots of good stuff
on approaches (especially) that you don't get in the training materials.

So, what else is must reading for the newly-minted IFR pilot??

Thanks for all the replies on the staying-current question - good stuff! I intend to make every effort to
stay current and do a lot of real-world instrument flying in the coming months!

~Paul

I liked Eckalbar's IFR: A Structured Approach...

Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Old February 21st 05, 02:57 AM
Jim Burns

Ditto. Although directed at the twin flyer, there are many practices and
procedures that will benefit the single IFR pilot. Great book from which to
gain some "power/performance" practical IFR habits and guidelines. Also
never quit learning about weather, try Buck's Weather Flying.

Jim

Old February 22nd 05, 12:43 AM
andrew m. boardman

Jim Burns wrote:
Also never quit learning about weather, try Buck's Weather Flying.

Seconded. There's a somewhat recent rewrite that's up-to-date on the
minutae, but the important stuff hasn't changed.
Old February 24th 05, 07:45 AM
Marco Leon

Just read IFR: A structured Approach for the second time. I got even more
out of it than the first time.

Others I would recommend:
- Instrument Procedures Guide (Jeppesen or FAA)
- Mastering GPS Flying by Dixon/Harris (just came out, good if you fly with
IFR GPS)
- The Instrument Flight Training Manual by Peter Dogan

Marco Leon
N36616

Old February 24th 05, 10:12 PM
Jim Burns

I find myself going back to IFR: A Structured Approach quite often. It's
one of the few books that has gained a prominent position on the headboard
of my bed. I think the best lesson that the book trys to impart is that
with "structure" a single IFR pilot can gain and save time, possibly life
saveing time. It also helps develop flows and habits that, when used, keep
the pilot ahead of the airplane and the airplane configured properly for
each phase of flight, so that if the pilot does happen to get behind the
plane, the plane should already be in a stable configuration. Most IFR
pilots will say that these are skills that every IFR pilot should have and
put to good use.... I wonder how many really do.

Jim

Reading PA . WWII Weekend - 2004 - What's it Like ? TF Piloting 1 May 11th 04 02:13 PM
Interesting Reading EDR Piloting 7 April 24th 04 02:45 AM
high copper reading in oil analysis [email protected] Owning 1 March 26th 04 04:32 PM
Reading List Ray Lovinggood Soaring 10 March 16th 04 10:23 PM
FA: WWII Weekend 1991 Program - Reading, PA Disgo Aviation Marketplace 0 February 6th 04 06:18 PM