Fuel Prices For The July Pilgrimage

Old May 23rd 07, 12:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
B A R R Y[_2_]

Default Fuel Prices For The July Pilgrimage

Montblack wrote:
("RST Engineering" wrote)
My best estimate right now is that it will cost slightly north of 1 AMU to
pump the 182 from GOO to OSH and back.

GOO ...funny name.

How about FOK?
Old May 23rd 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Honeck

Reason being, about two months from today a lot of us will be coming a long
distance to The Money Hole On Lake Winnebago. My best estimate right now is
that it will cost slightly north of 1 AMU to pump the 182 from GOO to OSH
and back.

Well, although I can't officially sell mogas at the airport out of our
Mighty Grape, I *can* be persuaded to sell it to friends. For those
who are coming to the Pre-OSH Pool Party, let me know in advance,
please, and I'll make sure we're topped off.

Thus far I know Jim & Gail, and Darrel are in the mogas market.
Anyone else? Jack, you got the mogas STC on your Arrow? Edwin, how
'bout for your Maule?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 23rd 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jonathan Goodish

In article . com,
Jim Burns wrote:

100LL.com has consistently beat Airnav.com on price accuracy and
timely updates for all of the long cross country trips I've taken
during the past 2 years. It's saved me more than $1000 over what
Airnav found for lowest priced fuel near my destinations.

Interesting. While Airnav is often incorrect (old data), 100ll.com is
more often incorrect in my experience. Certainly, 100ll.com appears to
be consistently less accurate just in my local/regional area.

In any case, I've concluded that the best method is to find the airports
with low price trends, and then call them to get an update on prices and
availability. During the post-Katrina run-up, the cheaper fields
quickly sold out and, because they didn't raise prices with the market,
couldn't afford to refill the tanks until prices came back down again.
It would be a shame to land somewhere with legal reserves, only to find
out that their tanks are dry.

JKG
Old May 24th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Margy Natalie

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

Jay,

I don't believe you are selling anything. You are offering to fill up
your friends and they are accepting your kind offer to keep their plugs
clean, but they would never let you actually pay for their gas. :-)

Margy
Old May 24th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Darrel Toepfer

"RST Engineering" wrote:

I'd like a consensus opinion from the newsgroup denizens who use any
of the popular "fuel pricing" websites as to the one that they find
the most accurate. My personal favorite over the last few years has
been Airnav, but I'm willing to be persuaded that there is better.

Reason being, about two months from today a lot of us will be coming a
long distance to The Money Hole On Lake Winnebago. My best estimate
right now is that it will cost slightly north of 1 AMU to pump the 182
from GOO to OSH and back. There are a lot of people from both coasts
who are going to spend at least a significant fraction of that and
possibly more.

Let's pick ONE site and keep it absolutely up to the minute current
from our local area at least through the week of The Show.

Jim

I know, I know. "consensus opinion" goes in the same sentence as
"herding cats".

AOPA has fuel pricing through Anywhere Map which has access costs of $30
per year... Gots to be an AOPA member too for the discount... Course
they get their data from: http://www.100ll.com

Golden Eagle Flight Prep has a link to fuel pricing (its a free download
from http://www.duats.com/cirrus.shtml or http://www.flightprep.com )
They link to AirNav for fuel pricing...

EAA is linked for fuel prices through here and made requests of the
membership to keep it current and list your favorites for flying to
Aventure 2007: http://map.aeroplanner.com/tools/fbomap.cfm Requires at
least a Premium subscription of $12.95 per month or $119.95 per year...
Also "rideshare" through he
http://www.airventure.org/rideshare/default.asp

So I really didn't find anything new... Maybe we need to list airports
within walking distance of mowgas and bring our fuel cans? ;-)
Old May 24th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Darrel Toepfer

Darrel Toepfer wrote:

EAA is linked for fuel prices through here and made requests of the
membership to keep it current and list your favorites for flying to
Aventure 2007: http://map.aeroplanner.com/tools/fbomap.cfm

Mybad, even their free version includes access to FBO's and Fuel Prices...
Old May 24th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"RST Engineering" wrote:

I'd like a consensus opinion from the newsgroup denizens who use any
of the popular "fuel pricing" websites as to the one that they find
the most accurate. My personal favorite over the last few years has
been Airnav, but I'm willing to be persuaded that there is better.

Got to put my two cents worth in here. A few years ago (2002) I used Airnav
to plan our trip to Oshkosh from the northwest, with stops in Washington DC,
New York, and Macinac Island. My thought was to use mogas where possible.

We left home and flew to Pullman in eastern Washington for the first fillup.
When we were passing 25 mi. north of Helena, MT, the engine quit - vapor
locked. Contributing factors were the high temperature (85 F @ 9500'), the
(I suspect) old mogas I bought in Pullman, and my fuel system design, having
the electric pump forward of the firewall and no forward-facing air scoops
on the tank vents.

Fortunately things cooled off on the glide down and I was able to effect a
restart as I was about to enter downwind for a soybean field; which would
likely have totaled the plane and possibly us as well. We flew in to Helena
and replaced the mogas with 100 LL.

I have since corrected the design deficiencies but I can't do anything about
the weather (no matter what ALgore says). One thing I can do is be very
careful as to when and where I burn mogas. I will not buy it from a source
which is unknown to me. This lets out every strange airport. I will not use
mogas on hot days nor at high altitudes.

Mogas burns clean and costs a buck or so less. 100 LL tends to foul my plugs
and costs more. My engine will run with two or three fouled plugs. It won't
run at all if it vapor locks. I've told this tale before and have gotten
used to the inevitable flaming. I'm *not* recommending that anyone use any
particular fuel. Fill it up with Dilithium crystals if you like. I'll spend
the extra buck for avgas when I head out over the Rockies for OSH.

YMMV

Rich S.

Old May 24th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Rich S. wrote:
"RST Engineering" wrote:

I'd like a consensus opinion from the newsgroup denizens who use any
of the popular "fuel pricing" websites as to the one that they find
the most accurate. My personal favorite over the last few years has
been Airnav, but I'm willing to be persuaded that there is better.

Got to put my two cents worth in here. A few years ago (2002) I used
Airnav to plan our trip to Oshkosh from the northwest, with stops in
Washington DC, New York, and Macinac Island. My thought was to use
mogas where possible.

I think I found your problem. You went from the NW to OSH with stops in DC &
NY.

Old May 24th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message

I think I found your problem. You went from the NW to OSH with stops in DC
& NY.

I used cheap no-lead charts, too!

Old May 24th 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Matt Whiting

Rich S. wrote:

I have since corrected the design deficiencies but I can't do anything about
the weather (no matter what ALgore says). One thing I can do is be very
careful as to when and where I burn mogas. I will not buy it from a source
which is unknown to me. This lets out every strange airport. I will not use
mogas on hot days nor at high altitudes.

Why is mogas from an unknown source worse than avgas from an unknown source?

Matt

Fuel Prices For The July Pilgrimage RST Engineering Piloting 46 June 15th 07 10:45 PM
Fuel prices Paul kgyy Owning 14 October 19th 05 10:55 PM
Fuel Prices Ross Richardson Owning 60 September 30th 05 02:06 AM
Fuel Prices ~R Rotorcraft 0 September 10th 05 03:56 PM
Fuel Prices S Green Piloting 0 May 9th 04 09:47 PM