Things you don't want to hear on a taxi test.

Old December 10th 03, 12:47 AM
Dave Hyde

Default Things you don't want to hear on a taxi test.

"[Shucks], I'm airborne."

But 6 inches for 100 feet doesn't count as a
first flight :-) Interesting cockpit
video g.

Dave 'I swore I'd never crow-hop' Hyde

Old December 10th 03, 01:37 AM
Rich Ahrens

Dave Hyde wrote:
"[Shucks], I'm airborne."

But 6 inches for 100 feet doesn't count as a
first flight :-) Interesting cockpit
video g.

Shucks? Shucks? Now there's another tall tale for next year in Pville!

|Rich Ahrens | Homepage: http://www.visi.com/~rma/ |
|-----------------------------------------------|
|"In a world full of people only some want to fly - isn't that crazy?" |

Old December 10th 03, 01:45 AM
Roger Halstead

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 00:47:38 GMT, Dave Hyde wrote:

"[Shucks], I'm airborne."

But 6 inches for 100 feet doesn't count as a
first flight :-) Interesting cockpit
video g.

Dave 'I swore I'd never crow-hop' Hyde

Just don't try to imitate the Emmeraud here at 3BS. it had a 125 HP
engine and was designed for about 65 or so. The pilot only had a few
hours of tail dragger time...wayyyy back when he'd been checked out.

For some strange reason he fire walled it and it went ballistic
instead of accelerating down the runway. What goes straight up
usually comes straight down. The lift from the wing brought the nose
back up and it hit just the south of the runway. The only damage to
the plane was it broke both main gear off the spar and put a crack in
the right side cowl...and the two sets of teeth marks in the glare
shield.

It's been rebuilt and is now regularly flying.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Return address modified due to dumb virus checkers

Old December 10th 03, 02:27 AM
Dave Hyde

Roger Halstead wrote:

Just don't try to imitate the Emmeraud here at 3BS.

Whew, I have no intention of that. I had intended
to do a few medium speed runs, raising the tail each time,
then pull the cowl and check things over. I'm not cruising
around with the tail up, it's just power up, tail up, power
back and stop. Second run I could feel it getting light on the
gear. Third run I guess I didn't get as much forward stick as
before, so the attitude was a little more nose-high, and it rotated
on the mains and popped off the ground. Airspeed was out of
my scan at that point, but it must've been around 45 knots or so,
so I wasn't going to horse it into the air and take it around.
I had plenty of runway, so I throttled back, held the attitude, and
let it settle. I wasn't 100% sure I was airborne until the tires
chirped on touchdown. Next comment (on tape), "I guess I know
it flies now."

Observations:
Acceleration is faster than I expected - I've never flown an RV
solo. I'd planned on good accel, but it was more than I expected.
Tail comes up sooner than expected too. See above.
Takes longer than I expected to slow to taxi speed...although
time compression may have something to do with that g
Everything felt great control-wise. No gross trim problems
noted.

By the way, I was doing this prepared for a flight if something
like this happened. Flight-ready airplane, parachute, gas,
preflight/runup, etc., so if it turned into a first flight I could
minimize the surprises and not get caught in something too ugly.

Dave 'taxi stand' Hyde

Old December 10th 03, 07:32 AM
Roger Halstead

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 02:27:29 GMT, Dave Hyde wrote:

Roger Halstead wrote:

[...]

You have considerably more experience than I:-)) I have flown one
twice, but it was a nose dragger (6A) and never solo. It was a nice
flying plane. Light on the controls, but overly so and good harmony.
*Nothing* like the GP4 I flew.

Takes longer than I expected to slow to taxi speed...although
time compression may have something to do with that g

Wait till you're coming back in to land it the first time. I'll bet
it's at least as exciting as your first solo landing as a student:-))

Everything felt great control-wise. No gross trim problems
noted.

Glad to hear that. Of all the planes we've had solo out here at 3BS
only a couple needed some tuning of the rigging.

By the way, I was doing this prepared for a flight if something
like this happened. Flight-ready airplane, parachute, gas,
preflight/runup, etc., so if it turned into a first flight I could
minimize the surprises and not get caught in something too ugly.

Parachute? Just cause it's a first flight of one "You put together"?
You should have more faith in the builderLOL
I'll be wearing one through the flight test phase for the G-III if I
ever get it off the ground. I'll probably be too old to fly by then.

Dave 'taxi stand' Hyde

Keep up the good work!

Old December 10th 03, 01:23 PM
Bob Martin

Observations:
Acceleration is faster than I expected - I've never flown an RV
solo. I'd planned on good accel, but it was more than I expected.

Yeah, it'll press you back into the seat... what model and engine do you
have?

Tail comes up sooner than expected too. See above.

It does... my dad yelled at me the first few times I took off (he's been
giving me unofficial taildragger training, with the intent of getting me to
the point of just being able to have a CFI sign me off) since by the time I
would raise the tail we'd already be at flying speed...

Takes longer than I expected to slow to taxi speed...although
time compression may have something to do with that g

Nope, not time compression there... and if you leave even the tiniest smidge
of power on by accident, it takes an eternity. These planes do not like to
slow down...

Old December 10th 03, 03:50 PM
Dptate

hucks], I'm airborne."

But 6 inches for 100 feet doesn't count as a
first flight :-) Interesting cockpit
video g.

Dave 'I swore I'd never crow-hop' Hyde

Congratulations on your project. Great feeling isn't it.

Dave "been there, done that" Tate
Old December 10th 03, 04:34 PM
RR Urban

Observations:
Acceleration is faster than I expected - I've never flown an RV
solo. I'd planned on good accel, but it was more than I expected.
Tail comes up sooner than expected too.

Takes longer than I expected to slow to taxi speed...

Dave 'taxi stand' Hyde

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

{Everything is even a tad quicker in the RV-3.]

As to slowing down to taxi speeds --
My RV-3 never does... WITHOUT brake
application on a paved strip of 4500 feet
even when 3 pointing on the first 600 feet,

The 69 inch pitch prop and 650 rpm idle, keeps
the RV-3 trucking almost indefinitely over 30 mph
without minor brake application on hard surface.

If your idle and prop pitch are above that...
so much the worse.

P.S.
Grass, of course, is a different story.

Barnyard BOb - do the math