Taxi speed

Old March 5th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Hilton

Default Taxi speed

Hi,

What is the normal and maximum taxi speed (in knots) for an RJ, 737, and 747
in normal operations? I'm just using those as examples, feel free to
mention any others. Also, I'm not looking for maximums or AFM limiations,
just the day-in day-out taxi speeds and the maximum that a crew would use to
get to the runway for an expedited takeoff.

Thanks,

Hilton

Old March 5th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Mar 5, 12:55 pm, "Hilton" wrote:
Hi,

What is the normal and maximum taxi speed (in knots) for an RJ, 737, and 747
in normal operations? I'm just using those as examples, feel free to
mention any others. Also, I'm not looking for maximums or AFM limiations,
just the day-in day-out taxi speeds and the maximum that a crew would use to
get to the runway for an expedited takeoff.

My guess here is that if you're taxiing fast enough to get an
indication on the airspeed indicator (tape display?) you're going too
fast... (unless you're heading upwind maybe) I don't know if there is
a max taxi speed, usually it's at the pilot's discretion - interesting
question though.

Old March 5th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Hilton wrote:
Hi,

What is the normal and maximum taxi speed (in knots) for an RJ, 737, and 747
in normal operations?

As an airline passenger, I typically see ~ 15 MPH (~ 12.5 knots) on my
handheld GPS, with the occasional 20 MPH leg on a long, straight
taxiway. In my Spam can, the GPS groundspeed typically shows ~ 10-12
knots on the high end.
Old March 5th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

When the 747 entered service, the pilots used the inertial
nav to control speed, because it was said, that it was too
hard to judge the speed visually because of the high cabin.
I a straight line, you can taxi fast, but no airplane
corners like a F1 race car.

Slower is better.

Old March 6th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Michelle P

Hilton wrote:
Hi,

What is the normal and maximum taxi speed (in knots) for an RJ, 737, and 747
in normal operations? I'm just using those as examples, feel free to
mention any others. Also, I'm not looking for maximums or AFM limiations,
just the day-in day-out taxi speeds and the maximum that a crew would use to
get to the runway for an expedited takeoff.

Thanks,

Hilton

We used to taxi our CRJ 200's around 20kts. Usually on one engine. Two
at idle, no passengers the thing will taxi at 40kts.
Michelle (former instructor mechanic)
Old March 6th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Michelle P wrote:

We used to taxi our CRJ 200's around 20kts. Usually on one engine. Two
at idle, no passengers the thing will taxi at 40kts.
Michelle (former instructor mechanic)

How not to taxi:

http://www.cargolaw.com/2003nightmare_NW165%20arrive.html

http://www.amfanatl.org/Pages/11_Safety&Standards/NWAAirbusLGARpt11903.htm
Old March 6th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JonH

747 and 777, 15 knots. At least that's what we, as mechanics were taught.
Slowing to 8ish in turns.

news

Old March 6th 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
747 and 777, 15 knots. At least that's what we, as mechanics were taught.
Slowing to 8ish in turns.

Just out of interest, how do you measure speed on the ground? Obviously the
airspeed indicator isn't much use in these situations...

(This is from a sim 'pilot', so might seem like a daft question!)

Andy
Old March 6th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Andy Hawkins wrote:

Just out of interest, how do you measure speed on the ground? Obviously the
airspeed indicator isn't much use in these situations...

GPS and inertial nav units can provide ground speeds.
Old March 6th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Andy Hawkins writes:

Just out of interest, how do you measure speed on the ground? Obviously the
airspeed indicator isn't much use in these situations...

If you have fancy avionics, they'll tell you your actual ground speed, as read
from an IRU or GPS.

Taxi accident at OSH StudentPPSEL Owning 4 August 3rd 06 09:52 PM
Hanoi Taxi john smith Piloting 0 April 27th 06 03:48 AM
License To Taxi? SteveT Piloting 29 October 16th 05 04:57 PM
Leaning for taxi Jim Rosinski Piloting 28 September 12th 04 03:53 AM
taxi in reverse? [email protected] Owning 20 February 21st 04 12:26 AM