Give direction to children interested in Aviation

Old July 28th 08, 07:28 PM
Merk Merk is offline
Junior Member

Lightbulb Give direction to children interested in Aviation

I am not a pilot or have any experience in this area, however I am the mother of 5 sons and twin toddler girls, 4 of whom I home school and they are very interested in Aviation and I don't know where to start, what direction to take them to keep them interested and what do I do first and always to keep their minds stimulated until they get old enough to search these areas themselves.
I love science and so do my children and aviation gets to be a main focus in homeschooling through many years, from how the air goes over the wings to
building working models of engines and turbines, you know all of that fun stuff, so I was just looking for some ideas on where some one with experience in the field would start a house full of fun loving boys.
Thanks
Merk
Old July 29th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Brian Whatcott

Default Give direction to children interested in Aviation

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 19:28:49 +0100, Merk
wrote:

I am not a pilot or have any experience in this area, however I am the
mother of 5 sons and twin toddler girls, 4 of whom I home school and
they are very interested in Aviation and I don't know where to start,
what direction to take them to keep them interested and what do I do
first and always to keep their minds stimulated until they get old
enough to search these areas themselves.
I love science and so do my children and aviation gets to be a main
focus in homeschooling through many years, from how the air goes over
the wings to
building working models of engines and turbines, you know all of that
fun stuff, so I was just looking for some ideas on where some one with
experience in the field would start a house full of fun loving boys.
Thanks
Merk

A flight simulator PC package might do the trick?

Brian W
Old July 29th 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

--
Merk

Merk
you should also take your kids out to the airport. There is always a
place to sit and watch the airplanes. Some pilots will see little kids
watching the activity there, and we'll take them for a ride around the
airport. Are there interested in all planes, or have they gotten to
love old war planes or new fighters or what? There's a million things
you can do, the worst would be to stop their interested in flying.
Old July 29th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Merk wrote:

I love science and so do my children and aviation gets to be a mai
focus in homeschooling through many years, from how the air goes ove
the wings to
building working models of engines and turbines, you know all of tha
fun stuff, so I was just looking for some ideas on where some one wit
experience in the field would start a house full of fun loving boys.
Thanks
Mer

--
Merk

There are many simple build flying models that I recommend.
It is where I started when I was about 6 y/o. Sig makes a rubber powered kit
that is inexpensive and very simple to construct.
I think it is very valuable for kids to get their sensory-motor functions
going.

We always found it rewarding to actually launch something that we made.

Old November 2nd 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Cliff[_3_]

Merk

Goto EAA.org and look for your local chapter. These chapters also support a
Young Ealges program that gives free rides. I am sure there is one near you
with just what you are looking for. Best of luck

Pilot
Cliff