OT Severe thunderstorm - video

Old August 8th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default OT Severe thunderstorm - video

Severe thunderstorm at my house. Needless to say, glad I was wishing
to be up there then wishing to be down here :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8XDzUbVT7Y

I would have stayed out much longer but the trees were making some
ominous cracking noises that you can hear on the video especially
before my comments (subtitled throughout the video). I "toned down"
the wind noise about 15 percent in the video, it was that loud.

Allen
Old August 8th 08, 08:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Morgans[_2_]

wrote in message
Severe thunderstorm at my house. Needless to say, glad I was wishing
to be up there then wishing to be down here :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8XDzUbVT7Y

I would have stayed out much longer but the trees were making some
ominous cracking noises that you can hear on the video especially
before my comments (subtitled throughout the video). I "toned down"
the wind noise about 15 percent in the video, it was that loud.

Yep, and if you know what's good for you, you will cut down those tall
scraggly yellow pines, before a strong wind blows from the wrong direction,
and they end up on top of your house. That cracking sound was them starting
to break, and get weak.

I'm betting that they used to be in a big forest of like trees, a developer
came in and cut lots of them down to put in a bunch of houses.

While they were in a tightly bunched forest, they protected each other, by
slowing the wind down, and leaning on each other if they got moving too
much. Also, with a bunch cut down, they get a whole lot more light, and
start growing very fast, and that makes them even weaker.

A friend had one land on his roof, only to have some branches break off a
few feet long, to spear through to roof plywood, and through the sheetrock.
If he had not gotten off the throne when he did, he would have gotten
speared. How do I know this? I cut the tree off his roof, and patched the
holes!
--
Jim in NC

Old August 9th 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Everett M. Greene[_2_]

"Morgans" writes:
wrote
[...]

I'll second the motion. My son had very large trees topple
on his house on two separate occasions. The first wasn't
too bad -- hit the garage end of the house with minor damage
other than taking out overhead utility lines and blocking
the driveway for quite some time until removed. The second
just about took off the opposite end of the house -- most of
the roof gone, large portion of the ceilings, and water
damage to nearly everything.
Old August 10th 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Aug 8, 2:15*am, "Morgans" wrote:

Yep, and if you know what's good for you, you will cut down those tall
scraggly yellow pines, before a strong wind blows from the wrong direction,
and they end up on top of your house. *That cracking sound was them starting
to break, and get weak.

I think you are right Jim, but some of those pines unfortunately are
not in my yard! I only heard that cracking sound one other time and
that was during Katrina so I knew that the winds were a tad strong!
Old August 11th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Morgans[_2_]

wrote in message
On Aug 8, 2:15 am, "Morgans" wrote:

Yep, and if you know what's good for you, you will cut down those tall
scraggly yellow pines, before a strong wind blows from the wrong
direction,
and they end up on top of your house. That cracking sound was them
starting
to break, and get weak.

I think you are right Jim, but some of those pines unfortunately are
not in my yard! I only heard that cracking sound one other time and
that was during Katrina so I knew that the winds were a tad strong!

I believe there are laws on the books that will allow you to petition your
neighbor to have them taken down.

If not that, if you talk to your neighbor, and tell him that if your house
gets hit by one of his trees, he is legally liable for your repairs.

That might encourage him to split the bill with you for taking them down.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 11th 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Aug 10, 8:41*pm, "Morgans" wrote:

If not that, if you talk to your neighbor, and tell him that if your house
gets hit by one of his trees, he is legally liable for your repairs.

LOL, guess you forget where I live, the land of the "lawless" AKA
Mississippi.

Where I took the video spans about 3 lots, one being mine. My lot is
pie shaped, front of the house being the pointed end. Where I took
the video would span 2 other neighbors on the wide part of the pie.

Saving grace would be my house is on the west and north side of those
trees upwind of the general prevailing winds.

I do know learning from experience, the state of the tree determines
who is liable.

If it's my tree and it's alive (all it needs is one pine cone) then
the liability falls on the neighbors insurance should that tree fall
on their house.

Conversely, if the tree is on my property and dead, then that
liability falls on my insurance should that tree fall on their
house.

Suffice it to say, I have had 5 trees removed in 8 years of living
here. 4 of those 5 trees met their maker via a lightning strikes,
Katrina took the 5th one.

How I know this? One word... Katrina.

Give those tree guys credit in removal :-)) I'd get a nose bleed for
as high as they shimmy up the trunk. I'm skeeered of heights!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8tP3pmd6NM