No more autogas tax refund in VA

Old August 18th 05, 12:56 PM

Default No more autogas tax refund in VA

I just received my official denial letter of my request for a refund of the
road tax on the autogas I run in my plane. In Virginia, highway fuel taxes amount to
$0.175/gal and aviation fuel is subject to $0.05/gal. Previously, the difference of
$0.125 was refunded.

I believe they are taking the "58.1-2259. Fuel uses eligible for refund"
literally, which specifies *full* refunds (and a few special cases otherwise). Has
anyone else run into this?

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old August 19th 05, 09:08 AM
Dave S

The applicable part of the virginia statute states:
14. Used for a purpose other than in operating or propelling highway
vehicles, watercraft or aircraft;.

Sounds like you have been getting an unexpected bonus from the state of
virginia for quite a while. Hope they dont decide to come get their
money back.

Now.. TEXAS offers a full refund on state fuel taxes used in aircraft.

Dave

Old August 19th 05, 12:26 PM

Dave S wrote:
: The applicable part of the virginia statute states:
: 14. Used for a purpose other than in operating or propelling highway
: vehicles, watercraft or aircraft;.

: Sounds like you have been getting an unexpected bonus from the state of
: virginia for quite a while. Hope they dont decide to come get their
: money back.

: Now.. TEXAS offers a full refund on state fuel taxes used in aircraft.

It's actually more complicated than that as I've read into it. The statute is
written to enumerate the conditions under which the taxes can be fully refunded. The
reason the statutes state it that way is that for all three types, there are
situations where taxes *should* be paid. In the case of watercraft, commercial
operators should receive a refund less a little bit. For aircraft, aviation fuel has
a $0.05/gal tax... so motor fuel used for aviation should have to pay that.

Anyway, I'm not quite done yet. It's really a matter of interpretation.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old August 19th 05, 05:20 PM
Chris

wrote in message
Dave S wrote:
[...]

Yeh, but they have your money and you don't!

AutoGas question.. Jay Honeck, Jim Weir.. others.. Dave S Owning 32 November 11th 04 10:04 PM
Autogas and high end engines John Skorczewski Home Built 10 August 17th 04 05:19 PM
Stupid question about autogas Paul Folbrecht Owning 34 March 1st 04 02:05 AM
autogas to 100ll Ron Natalie Owning 4 January 27th 04 04:49 AM
Hot weather and autogas? Rich S. Home Built 33 July 30th 03 11:25 PM