HondaJet: Not A Steam Gage In Sight

Old October 20th 06, 08:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bucky

Default HondaJet: Not A Steam Gage In Sight

Larry Dighera wrote:
What do you do when the electrical system fails?

I found this article on the Airbus 320, which has an all glass cockpit:

"The energy supply is backed up in several ways. Along with one
generator per engine, a third generator is powered by the APU. A fourth
power supply is available by extending a little fan generator into the
airstream. The chances of experiencing a complete power loss in an A320
are calculated to be at around one in one trillion. Should this happen,
the above mentioned mechanical system of the rudder and the elevator
trim ensure a safe landing."

http://www.flug-revue.rotor.com/FRhe...09/FR9709a.htm

Old October 20th 06, 10:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Bucky posted:

Larry Dighera wrote:
What do you do when the electrical system fails?

I found this article on the Airbus 320, which has an all glass
cockpit:

"The energy supply is backed up in several ways. Along with one
generator per engine, a third generator is powered by the APU. A
fourth power supply is available by extending a little fan generator
into the airstream. The chances of experiencing a complete power loss
in an A320 are calculated to be at around one in one trillion. Should
this happen, the above mentioned mechanical system of the rudder and
the elevator trim ensure a safe landing."

http://www.flug-revue.rotor.com/FRhe...09/FR9709a.htm

That's all well and good for the failure modes of the on-board generators.
How did they protect against the power surge that a lightning hit could
impose that could take out the PFDs?

Neil

Old October 20th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay B

Mxsmanic wrote:
Mortimer Schnerd, RN writes:

Numbnuts, you let someone else earn the red badge of current flying ANY
aircraft.

Some aircraft are safer than others.

And most here are smarter than one...

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old October 20th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Al G[_1_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
news
Mortimer Schnerd, RN writes:

Numbnuts, you let someone else earn the red badge of current flying ANY
aircraft.

Some aircraft are safer than others.

And you know this how?

Not exactly the voice of experience.

While there will always be discussions on the relative merits and
safety of one design over another, these will be discussions of informed
opinion, for which you are singulary unqualified. In other words, until
you've tried an airplane, you lack credibility when you offer your
speculation.

Al G CFIAMI 2069297

Old October 20th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Al G[_1_]

"Bucky" wrote in message
oups.com...
Larry Dighera wrote:
What do you do when the electrical system fails?

I found this article on the Airbus 320, which has an all glass cockpit:

"The energy supply is backed up in several ways. Along with one
generator per engine, a third generator is powered by the APU. A fourth
power supply is available by extending a little fan generator into the
airstream. The chances of experiencing a complete power loss in an A320
are calculated to be at around one in one trillion. Should this happen,
the above mentioned mechanical system of the rudder and the elevator
trim ensure a safe landing."

http://www.flug-revue.rotor.com/FRhe...09/FR9709a.htm

Didn't a G5 lose ALL 5 Honeywell MFD's at the same time last year?
As I remember, it was the second time it had happened. An all "Black" glass
cockpit.

Al G

Old October 20th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article , "Al G"
wrote:

Didn't a G5 lose ALL 5 Honeywell MFD's at the same time last year?
As I remember, it was the second time it had happened. An all "Black" glass
cockpit.

But kind of takes the concept of a dark cockpit a little too far. ;-)

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old October 20th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Bucky writes:

The chances of experiencing a complete power loss in an A320
are calculated to be at around one in one trillion.

There isn't any way to accurately calculate probabilities of the order
of one in a trillion when dealing with physical systems. Estimates
are often off by many orders of magnitude.

Old October 20th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Al G writes:

And you know this how?

By looking at design features and failure modes, and accidents. For
example, the original de Havilland Comet was unsafe.

Old October 22nd 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 16:37:08 GMT, "Neil Gould"
wrote in
:

Recently, Larry Dighera posted:

http://world.honda.com/HondaJet/Styling/FlightDeck/

[...]
It will be interesting to see how this one is FAA-certified. Power failure
would be a worst-case scenario, so I'd be surprised if this plane lacked
multiple power sources, but a lightning hit could be a problem.

If the glass cockpit is engineered anything like the Garmin system
installed in the Cessna 172S, that went into an infinite re-boot loop
while en route from Greenland to Iceland causing the loss of all
communications, navigation, flight instruments, fuel gages, autopilot
etc., it would only take a malfunction affecting the main CPU to
create a serious hazard.

Old October 23rd 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cjcampbell

Neil Gould wrote:
Recently, Larry Dighera posted:

http://world.honda.com/HondaJet/Styling/FlightDeck/
· All information, from flight and engine instrumentation to
navigation, communication, terrain and traffic data, is uniquely
integrated and digitally presented on the dual, large-format, high-
resolution primary flight displays and the multifunction display

· The HondaJet cockpit configuration provides a high degree of
integration for enhanced situational awareness, functionality, ease of
operation, redundancy, and flight safety.

It will be interesting to see how this one is FAA-certified. Power failure
would be a worst-case scenario, so I'd be surprised if this plane lacked
multiple power sources, but a lightning hit could be a problem.

It might surprise you, but a vacuum pump is not required for FAA
certification. There are quite a number of airplanes out there flying
without them, including most airliners. Many general aviation planes
are all electric. A vacuum pump is a *liability* not a backup system.

Complete power failure in a jet is not a good thing anyway. Many jets
and turboprops could not survive it, not least because it means
complete loss of flight controls.