LifePO4 batteries for motorgliders - are we there yet?

Old January 8th 16, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default LifePO4 batteries for motorgliders - are we there yet?

Dan,

English not my mother language, sorry.

I occasionally charge my LiFePo4 with a "smart programmable charger" type iMAX B6. Easy to find online for 25USD. It requires a power input, and a Pb battery is very well suited for that.
This way, I need not remove the LifePo4 from the battery tray, nor do I have to bring mains power to the glider.
Alternatively, the iMax b6AC can be fed both by mains, and by other batteries, and comes at about 40 USD.

The battery type is: http://www.aeroakku.com/product_info...12-20-NOP.html
As you can see, they state it's a "direct replacement" for a Pb.
I can tell you, with the iMAX I can get it charged a little more (or "significantly" more, depending on interpretation).
The sailplane also has a solar panel and regulator. I usually select the avionics batteries for the panels, but occasionally select engine battery and this also allows a decent charge to the LifePo4.

regards,
aldo
Old January 8th 16, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Benedict Smith

http://www.aeroakku.com/product_info..._AEROAKKU-LFP-
12-20-NOP.html
As you can see, they state it's a "direct replacement" for a Pb.
I can tell you, with the iMAX I can get it charged a little more (or
"significantly" more, depending on interpretation).
The sailplane also has a solar panel and regulator. I usually select the
avionics batteries for the panels, but occasionally select engine battery
and this also allows a decent charge to the LifePo4.

regards,
aldo

Aldo
I am familiar with the iMax b6 charger, it is widely used by RC enthusiasts
for
charging all types of battery packs, it worries me that you are using a
LiFePo4
pack that does not have a protection circuit built in, I understand how you

are using a PB battery to power the charger, but unless you have BOTH
charge and discharge protection circuits built into your glider that are
tailored
to the correct battery type you are running a risk of thermal runaway and
fire! Lithium batteries of any type are not to be trifled with as more than
one
RC racer has found out.

Old January 9th 16, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Friday, January 8, 2016 at 2:17:40 PM UTC-5, Benedict Smith wrote:
[...]

LiFE is a whole different animal than LiPO..... trust me, I'm an electric RC'er as well.....

Granted, the charge/discharge/LVC (LVC = Low Voltage Cutoff)circuits should be tailored to the specific battery chemistry you're using.
1-Helps prolong the life of the battery.
2-Helps limit fire issues.
Old January 9th 16, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I looked up the charger. Very interesting. Thanks for the reply.

Dan

--
Dan, 5J

LiFePO4 Batteries on sale. [email protected] Soaring 20 December 9th 15 05:34 PM
K2 vs. StarkPower LiFePo4 batteries Fox Two[_2_] Soaring 36 April 16th 15 05:14 PM
LiFePO4 Batteries vontresc Soaring 56 June 27th 14 07:25 PM
Experience with StarkPower LIFEPo4 Batteries? Papa3[_2_] Soaring 15 May 7th 13 07:17 PM
LiFePO4 batteries JS Soaring 26 October 15th 12 02:51 PM