Question for Fellow CFII's regarding Partial Panel Training

Old May 24th 04, 01:46 AM
Brad Z

Default Question for Fellow CFII's regarding Partial Panel Training

Out of curiousity, do any of you conduct partial panel training in actual
instrument conditions? When I did my training, my instructor elected not to
cover instruments in the soup. Do you do this? Why or why not?

Brad Z.

Old May 24th 04, 02:28 AM
Greg Esres

Out of curiousity, do any of you conduct partial panel training in
actual instrument conditions?

I have, but in pretty benign conditions. In other words, ceilings
high enough that I could recover in visual conditions if we fell out
of the clouds. Even did unusual attitudes.

I'm sure I would grow more adventuresome if I had more opportunities
for this, but when good IMC conditions come about, I think it's more
beneficial to the student to shoot full panel approaches. Plus, I'm
not sure how ATC would appreciate partial panel sloppiness.

Old May 24th 04, 02:33 AM
Roy Smith

"Brad Z" wrote:
Out of curiousity, do any of you conduct partial panel training in actual
instrument conditions? When I did my training, my instructor elected not to
cover instruments in the soup. Do you do this? Why or why not?

I think it's a bad idea. It's one thing to practice partial-panel
unusual attitude recoveries, it's another thing to trust your life to
being able to do one for real in IMC (especially considering that in
most planes, the person sitting in the right seat can barely see the TC).

Even if you recovered fine, you'd probably still have a clearance bust
to explain away.

What would you do if your TC died on you? Without the DG and AI for
cross-check, by the time you figured out something was wrong, it could
well be too late to recover.
Old May 24th 04, 02:51 AM
Richard Kaplan

"Brad Z" wrote in message

Out of curiousity, do any of you conduct partial panel training in actual
instrument conditions? When I did my training, my instructor elected not

cover instruments in the soup. Do you do this? Why or why not?

Never.... The risk of a true unusual attitude in IMC would be too high. In
an actual partial panel situation I would want to get no-gyro vectors to VFR
or to a landing ASAP.

I think there is even a reasonable argument that creating a partial panel
situation in actual IMC might even be considered careless and reckless if
this should come to the attention of the local FSDO.

--------------------
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old May 24th 04, 03:12 AM
Andrew Sarangan

I do use this practice in benign IMC conditions. Because the compass is a
very important instrument under these conditions, doing partial panel in
IMC allows you to use the compass in a much more realistic manner. Under
the hood it is almost impossible to use the compass without seeing the
outside. However, a real vaccuum failure in IMC is an emergency, so one
must exercise good judgement in simulating this emergency. I don't do
this if it is bumpy in the clouds. Also, I inform ATC and request a block
altitude and a clearance to do some maneuvering. That way even if I get
off course or lose altitude no one is going to get upset.

Roy Smith wrote in
:

Old May 24th 04, 03:37 AM
C J Campbell

"Brad Z" wrote in message
Out of curiousity, do any of you conduct partial panel training in actual
instrument conditions? When I did my training, my instructor elected not

cover instruments in the soup. Do you do this? Why or why not?

No. It is too easy to turn a simulated emergency into a real one.

Old May 24th 04, 03:55 AM
Dave S

With the proliferation of electronic panels out there that are
integrated, and redundant (dual installations) how are you expected to
simulate such a thing? The rate of turn indication is integrated with
the AH/attitude display.

Is this a case of having to use a different airplane to learn the skills
and test in this different plane? Pertinent question as I am helping
build an aircraft that will start off with the Dynon for its first
instrument, then have a Grand Rapids Technologies for a PFD and the
Dynon for an independant backup. Neither has provisions for disabling
portions of the display data.

Dave

Old May 24th 04, 04:14 AM
Brad Z

Good question. The new Instrument rating PTS released last month address
this very issue.

nk.net...

Old May 24th 04, 06:11 AM
Teacherjh

Good question. The new Instrument rating PTS released last month address
this very issue.

What does it say about it?

Jose