Near miss from space junk.

Old March 29th 07, 11:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Oz Lander[_2_]

Default Near miss from space junk.

On 2007-03-28, Crash Lander wrote:
Would it have come up on TCAS?
Crash Lander

Only if they fitted a transponder to the space junk!

OK, so TCAS reads transponder codes. I thought it was like a radar. You
learn something everyday! ;-)

--
Oz Lander.
I'm not always right,
Old March 29th 07, 12:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Oz Lander writes:

OK, so TCAS reads transponder codes. I thought it was like a radar.

TCAS I (the kind often used on small aircraft) reads Mode C replies from other
transponders and builds a picture of the airspace from that, with moderate
accuracy. TCAS II (the kind mandated on large aircraft) also listens to other
TCAS systems to build a much more accurate picture of the airspace (if lots of
other aircraft are similarly equipped).

Old March 29th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Crash Lander wrote:
"Dan Luke" wrote in message
How did he see stuff behind him?

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Would it have come up on TCAS?
Crash Lander

Not unless they've started putting transponders on the space junk.
Old March 29th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Default Update: Russians not guilty

"Richard" wrote in
:

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=24657

Pieces of space junk from a Russian satellite coming out of orbit
narrowly missed hitting a jetliner over the Pacific Ocean overnight.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10431449

"However, Nasa said today it was convinced the flaming objects were
not from a satellite and space experts said it could have been a
meteor."

Phwaaawh1 You don't want to pay any attention to what the New Zealand
Herald says. They'r efull of crap! I know..

bertie
Old March 29th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,alt.disasters.aviation,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.religion.asatru,rec.aviation.piloting
Richard

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
.130...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10431449

"However, Nasa said today it was convinced the flaming objects were
not from a satellite and space experts said it could have been a
meteor."

Phwaaawh1 You don't want to pay any attention to what the New Zealand
Herald says. They'r efull of crap! I know..

Same story from Associated Press.
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007...0715_20_15.txt

Old March 29th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

"Richard" wrote in news:460bfe6e$1
@news.orcon.net.nz:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...id=1&objectid=

10431449

"However, Nasa said today it was convinced the flaming objects were
not from a satellite and space experts said it could have been a
meteor."

Phwaaawh1 You don't want to pay any attention to what the New Zealand
Herald says. They'r efull of crap! I know..

Same story from Associated Press.

Mmm, OK. Actualy, I've been pretty close to space junk coming down
myself on a few occasions. the most spectaculaor was the first, over
central Africa. It was like a meteorite, except much slower and
incredibly bright. Glowed bright green and lit up the dusk sky to the
left of the airplane like a lightning bolt. No way of telling how far
away it was, but it was definitely much higher than we were when it
ended it's pyrotechnics. This was the brightest one I've seen, but I
have seen others. As I said, they look just like shooting stars, but
it's the obvious speed difference and length of the burn as well as the
weird colors that distinguishes them..

Bertie
Old March 29th 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Oz Lander writes:

OK, so TCAS reads transponder codes. I thought it was like a radar.

TCAS I (the kind often used on small aircraft) reads Mode C replies
from other transponders and builds a picture of the airspace from
that, with moderate accuracy. TCAS II (the kind mandated on large
aircraft) also listens to other TCAS systems to build a much more
accurate picture of the airspace (if lots of other aircraft are
similarly equipped).

God you're clueless. you can't run into another computer unless you got
it straped to the hood of you 63 plymout valiant and hit your friend
with the same thing strapped to his rambler, wannavbe boi,

Bertie
Old March 29th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:44:02 -0600, RomeoMike wrote:

How does he know how far away it was? Does the Airbus have radar that
would measure the distance? It would be impossible to tell visually.

Pitch up and use the RADAR altimeter.

Whee!

- Andrew

Old March 29th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.disasters.aviation
Andrew Gideon

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 18:35:59 +0000, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Mmm, OK. Actualy, I've been pretty close to space junk coming down myself
on a few occasions.

I've occasionally been within a couple of planetary diameters of space
junk. Worrisome. I've heard what those astronauts use instead of toilets.

- Andrew

Old March 29th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
chris[_1_]

On Mar 29, 11:18 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Oz Lander writes:
OK, so TCAS reads transponder codes. I thought it was like a radar.

TCAS I (the kind often used on small aircraft) reads Mode C replies from other
transponders and builds a picture of the airspace from that, with moderate
accuracy. TCAS II (the kind mandated on large aircraft) also listens to other
TCAS systems to build a much more accurate picture of the airspace (if lots of
other aircraft are similarly equipped).

None of the small aircraft I have ever flown has had TCAS.. Are you
sure you got that right ???

Why Screeners Miss Guns and Knives (and why pilots miss planes and airports) cjcampbell Piloting 2 January 3rd 06 04:24 AM
Junk Yards NVArt Home Built 5 July 13th 05 07:35 PM
FS Aviation Junk Jim Aviation Marketplace 1 February 11th 05 10:57 PM
Space Junk & GPS Reliability Doug Carter Instrument Flight Rules 9 July 11th 03 01:38 PM
Space Junk & GPS Reliability Dan R Piloting 7 July 11th 03 01:38 PM