Almost got My Ticket Yesterday

Old April 4th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
CareBear

Default Almost got My Ticket Yesterday

"Euan Kilgour" wrote in message
oups.com...
With a positive attitude like yours, you'll be PP-ASEL before you know
it Carebear!

May I ask what plane you sat your checkride in?

Cessna C-152.

CareBear

Old April 4th 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Andrew Gideon

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 11:33:39 +0000, Kevin Clarke wrote:

The slip is tough to master, it is a confidence thing. Putting the plane
into that flying profile can be daunting and a bit scary.

I think that this is a personal thing. For me, slips were never other
than fun. But I guessed that there must be something to them when my
CFII, on one of our first flights together, asked (while we were high on
final) if I could slip.

Stalls were my pet "scary thing". I eventually went out with an
instructor (whom I thought I was checking out for my wife's lessons {8^)
that had me hold a stall for a while. Nothing bad occurred, which did a
lot to free me from those demons. And then there was the spin training...

If I had to guess, I'd say I liked slips because the plane is still doing
what I'm instructing it to do. Stalls, on the other hand, involve those
pesky laws of physics countermanding my instructions. I take that
personally laugh.

Congrats on the almost-pass, Bear. I'm sure you're but a quick lesson
away from the next step of studentdom.

- Andrew

Old April 4th 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

"CareBear" wrote in message
Dudley, I appreciate the complement. Actually, I didn't stay away but
lurked instead. I have to say that sometimes reading the various threads
is better than a good comedy

This is what I do also when things get hot on the groups. Sometimes I'll
just peruse through the threads just to see who's mad at whom that day. :-)
Dudley Henriques

Old April 4th 07, 11:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Andrew Gideon wrote:
Congrats on the almost-pass, Bear. I'm sure you're but a quick lesson
away from the next step of studentdom.

I haven't quite figured out why people are offering congratulations on his
failure to pass a check ride. Is this political correctness run amuck?

It seems to me offering condolences is more appropriate. Maybe I'm just too
traditional.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old April 4th 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Your post on busting the PP check ride got me to wondering -- I wonder
how many long time pilots would pass a good DPE's PP checkout?

When one flies the same airplane for years, weight and balance
calculations have a way of not getting done. I haven't slipped an
airplane, except during the flare in landing in a crosswind of course,
in a decade or more, since needing to slip (IMHO) means poor planning
earlier in the approach.

A two and a half hour oral? I don't remember anything that long! What
did you talk about for two and a half hours? Real life flight planning
goes something like this. check a chart. Looks to be a two hour
flight, five hours of fuel on board. Weather -- soft IFR, that's OK,
clear weather an hour west of my destination, so there are solid gold
alternates, choose one. Check the winds -- flying west, stay lower. No
ice, no thunderstorms.

Hmm. That airway looks good. Call in the flight plan.

DPE -- "Busted!"

Old April 4th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Maxwell

"CareBear" wrote in message
First of all I have not posted/asked any questions of RAP and RAS since
last November. With all of the bickering, baiting, and other issues, I
decided not to participate. Please don't misinterpret what I am saying.
I am not pointing fingers or complaining about anyone in particular since
several members of this group have been involved in degrading the groups.
These are just my opinions. So much for that.....

I had my checkride yesterday and it went rather well. I was not
successful in getting my ticket since I busted the forward slip to a
landing and soft field landing. Everything else was ok. I plan to
practice and complete the requirements for the slip and soft field landing
this week, thereby acquiring my ticket. My main problem with the slip was
not maintaining the centerline during the actual slip. I will not make
any excuses (the wind, nervousness, etc.). When it's all said and done,
it was on me to be successful.

Although I did not get the ticket, I still feel good about the overall
outcome. It's interesting in that I felt my weakest area would be the
oral but this went well. I did have a couple of slips (no pun intended)
during the oral but quickly regrouped and gave the correct response. The
oral lasted about 2.5 hours. After reviewing my flight plan, weight and
balance, etc. we (the DPE and myself) took to the air. I had to do quite
a number of things such as slow flight, steep turns, power on and power
off stalls. Finally it was time for the dreaded diversion! I was actually
pleased with myself with the outcome. The diversion was somewhat better
than I had anticipated, especially since I did not land but did a go
around. Once we returned to airport, we discussed the overall checkride.
Of course, this also included the "well you didn't do too good on the slip
and the soft field landing" conversation. But still, I was pleased with
what I had accomplished. Now I am really looking forward to finishing
this week, weather and DPE availability permitting.!!!!

BTW, the xc flight plan was from 3A1 (Cullman AL) to 7A0 (Greensboro AL)
and finally KMGM (Montgomery Dannelly Field).

Now, I will resume lurking.

I seemed to have a problem with slips when I was learn to fly years ago in a
150 myself. Something about it just seemed so unnatural, especially after
spending so much time learning to keep the aircraft coordinated all the
time. And it think trying to fly smoothly with the increased control
pressures were a big factor as well.

Finally one day on one of my solo flights, I simply climbed to 7500' or so,
picked out a target that was probably miles away, pulled the power back and
began to slip for it. After doing this a few times, and having several
minutes each time refine my technique, without the immediacy of landing, I
felt a whole lot better about slips. Everyone is different for sure, but it
sure was a big help to me.

Old April 4th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Andrew Gideon

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 06:54:30 -0400, Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Is this political correctness run amuck?

I think it's more like cheering on a runner in the midst of a race. Sure,
there's cheering at the end too.

If he'd decided to drop flying as a result, condolences would be
absolutely appropriate.

- Andrew

Old April 5th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
CareBear

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 06:54:30 -0400, Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Is this political correctness run amuck?

I think it's more like cheering on a runner in the midst of a race. Sure,
there's cheering at the end too.

If he'd decided to drop flying as a result, condolences would be
absolutely appropriate.

- Andrew

Andrew, thanks for the reply to Mortimer Turd, RN . There is always someone
who wants to be negative. If he couldn't say something positive, maybe he
should have just kept his mouth shut. Of course, his opinion does not
change what happened or how I feel. As a young man of 56, I still feel VERY
good about the outcome.

CareBear

Old April 5th 07, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

CareBear wrote:
Andrew, thanks for the reply to Mortimer Turd, RN . There is always someone
who wants to be negative. If he couldn't say something positive, maybe he
should have just kept his mouth shut. Of course, his opinion does not
change what happened or how I feel. As a young man of 56, I still feel VERY
good about the outcome.

Well damn... did I say something to upset you? I don't believe in
congratulating people for failing. Encouragement, perhaps... except my comment
wasn't addressed to you directly, so none was included.

Feel free to go **** yourself.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old April 5th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mark T. Dame

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Congratulations on your achievement Care Bear, but you didn't have to stay
away from the group because of the "noise".

I second that. The only way to improve the signal to noise ratio is to
have more valuable posts, since the noise isn't going to go away.

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame
## VP, Product Development

WTB: 135 Ticket AML General Aviation 2 May 30th 06 03:10 PM
WTB: 135 Ticket AML Piloting 28 May 26th 06 04:10 PM
WTB:135 Ticket AML Owning 1 May 24th 06 08:41 PM
WTB: 135 Ticket AML Aviation Marketplace 1 May 24th 06 03:32 PM
Got my ticket... now what? Cub Driver Piloting 3 July 10th 03 07:14 AM