Tow plane near Amarillo Texas?

Old March 14th 05, 03:51 PM
Cliff Hilty

Default Tow plane near Amarillo Texas?

Does anyone know of a Tow Plane near Amarillo TX? I
am planning a trip from Phoenix AZ to Wichita Ks in
May and one of the legs is going to put me flying from
Moriarty NM to Oklahoma City OK directly over Amarillo
TX. On a great day I should be able to make it all
the way OKC but given the chances of that being less
than optimal Amarillo will be the resonable spot to
land.

Cliff (CH) Ventus B

Old March 15th 05, 01:53 AM
Bob C

At 16:00 14 March 2005, Cliff Hilty wrote:
Does anyone know of a Tow Plane near Amarillo TX? I
am planning a trip from Phoenix AZ to Wichita Ks in
May and one of the legs is going to put me flying from
Moriarty NM to Oklahoma City OK directly over Amarillo
TX. On a great day I should be able to make it all
the way OKC but given the chances of that being less
than optimal Amarillo will be the resonable spot to
land.

Cliff (CH) Ventus B

There used to be one in Panhandle, TX (just northeast
of Amarillo). Don't know if it's still there. Also
used to be a club in Littlefield (near Lubbock). Again,
don't know its current status. Littlefield is a ways
farther south, but I prefer to follow highway 156 (or
152?? Can't recall for sure) due east out of Santa
Rosa, NM instead of I-40. I-40 turns northerly at
Santa Rosa, and the terrain gets pretty rough till
you pass Tucumcari. There is an uncharted airstrip
about 15 miles east of Santa Rosa right before 156
goes up onto the caprock. After that it's flat alfalfa
fields to the horizon. You also can skirt the south
side of Amarillo's airspace as you angle back toward
I-40.

Ground crew take the last Santa Rosa exit(Ft. Sumner
highway), turn towards the Love's truckstop. That's
156. That's also the exit to the Santa Rosa airport.
At Hereford, TX catch the highway back to I-40.