turbine in microturbine generator for aircraft?

Old December 21st 04, 07:55 AM
Capt.Doug

"Juan Jimenez" wrote in message
he does the Silent Wings air show act with the two AMT engines
on the Silent motorglider. _Very_ cool stuff. He's got two 45 lbf

AMT-USA's
and he's burning 20 gals/hr total (both engines) at 100% N1.

Does he have a website with the plane on it?

D.

Old December 21st 04, 02:57 PM
Shin Gou

http://www.silentwingsairshows.com/

Old December 23rd 04, 06:53 AM
Slip'er

Don't tell this to Chrysler. They started experimenting with turbine cars
in the 1950s and were getting descent gas mileage. (At least better than my
1977 Trans Am.) Anyway, we won't be seeing them any time soon but, it would
be neat.

http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/chrysler.shtml

Never say never, but... I don't expect to see it in my lifetime.

Small
turbines have bad fuel specifics. In stationary use, things improve

greatly if
you can find a use for the waste heat. In the case of airplanes, turbines

have
size and weight advantages that help to offset their thirstiness. Cars

are a
whole 'nuther matter.

Old December 24th 04, 03:49 AM
Rob McDonald

From the web page you quoted:

"An average fuel consumption of 13-14 mpg using regular unleaded gasoline."

Your definition of "decent" mileage must be pretty generous :-)

Rob

"Slip'er" wrote in

Subject: turbine in microturbine generator for aircraft?

Old December 24th 04, 01:15 PM
UltraJohn

Rob McDonald wrote:

From the web page you quoted:

"An average fuel consumption of 13-14 mpg using regular unleaded
gasoline."

Your definition of "decent" mileage must be pretty generous :-)

Rob

You must be one of those young whipper snappers g
I very well remember back in the late 50's early 60's 13 to 14 was not bad
some of the guys in HS were driving chevy's with 4.56:1 and 6.17:1 rear
ends that were lucky to get 6 mpg. Back then the best economy cars were
luck to get 20!
John

Old December 24th 04, 04:18 PM
Matt Whiting

UltraJohn wrote:

Rob McDonald wrote:

From the web page you quoted:

"An average fuel consumption of 13-14 mpg using regular unleaded
gasoline."

Your definition of "decent" mileage must be pretty generous :-)

Rob

You must be one of those young whipper snappers g
I very well remember back in the late 50's early 60's 13 to 14 was not bad
some of the guys in HS were driving chevy's with 4.56:1 and 6.17:1 rear
ends that were lucky to get 6 mpg. Back then the best economy cars were
luck to get 20!
John

They must have had engines that were sorely out of tune. I put 4.56
gears in my 94 Chevy K1500 to help it plow snow better. I get 16 MPG
with it on the highway and get 10 plowing snow! I can't believe a car
would get down to only 6 MPG unless it was running at the drag strip all
day. :-)

Matt

Old December 24th 04, 10:07 PM
UltraJohn

Matt Whiting wrote:

They must have had engines that were sorely out of tune. I put 4.56
gears in my 94 Chevy K1500 to help it plow snow better. I get 16 MPG
with it on the highway and get 10 plowing snow! I can't believe a car
would get down to only 6 MPG unless it was running at the drag strip all
day. :-)

Matt

yeah they did quite a bit of 1/8 mile dragging. That being said there is a
bit of technology improvement between 1960 and 1994! Around town in cars
with low gears and big carbs and cams didn't do much for economy! That
being said (part 2) 20 was still very good economy even for a stock non v8
car. VW bugs got about the best back then around 22 to 23 on a good day! Of
course gas only cost 26 cents a gallon for Sunoco 260 ( about 94 octane).
John

Old December 25th 04, 04:25 AM
Slip'er

You must be one of those young whipper snappers g
I very well remember back in the late 50's early 60's 13 to 14 was not bad
some of the guys in HS were driving chevy's with 4.56:1 and 6.17:1 rear
ends that were lucky to get 6 mpg.

Agreed! Even my 1977 Trans Am only got 8 - 12 mpg when I was driving it.
Of couse at 16, the throttle was either ON or OFF.

Back then the best economy cars were
luck to get 20!
John

That's what I remember too for most of the economy cars.

Old December 26th 04, 02:19 PM
Nimoy Pugh

A small turbine would work nicely in an all electric set up where the
turbine would just keep a small battery bank topped up. Then the turbine
could run at a nice study rpm where it's most efficient. I think the biggest
problem is noise and waste heat.