Funny Story on the old Air Port Traffic Area

Old May 13th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Default Funny Story on the old Air Port Traffic Area

"Danny Deger" wrote in message

My understanding now is there is no longer this subtle distintion between
Class D and Class E going to the ground. The area around a controlled
airport is Class D and is marked with a dashed blue line around the
airport. No more chance of class D airspace that is "marked" only because
the airport is blue.

Danny Deger

It may not always be marked, when our local airport first went to "contract
tower" from "no tower", it was CLASS D, and it was painted blue on the
charts, but the CLASS D dashed blue line was not printed on the charts with
no altitude markings. It took two chart revisions to catch up.

The only way to tell was NOTAMS. The question to ask the new "long waiting
time" Lockheed FSS is... if I am filed into a different but nearby airport,
are you going to give me the airspace NOTAM for the new class D at the
airport I am not flying into?

BT

Old May 13th 07, 12:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

BT wrote:

It may not always be marked, when our local airport first went to "contract
tower" from "no tower", it was CLASS D, and it was painted blue on the
charts, but the CLASS D dashed blue line was not printed on the charts with
no altitude markings. It took two chart revisions to catch up.

Yep, it takes a long time to catch u.

Danny was right. In the old days there were Airport Traffic Areas
which was defined as 5 statute miles from a control tower up to 3000' AGL.
They were not in themselves controlled airspace. They however
were usually colocated with Control Zones. The control zone might
or might not have been 5 miles in diameter. You might also find
control zones inside class B or C airspace. The control zone had
a few additional restrictions on VFR traffic.

When they rewrote the alphabet airspace, they did away with the
goofy unmarked ATA (so they claimed) and added the class D
surface area space to suck up both the CZ and ATA concepts.
The class D is 4.6 NM (which you'll find is about the same
as 5 SM) and they made provision for class E extensions to
the class D (to handle the little notches of CZ that used
to protrude past the ATA boundaries).

Of course, it only took them about a year to realize that there
were times they wanted to have a control tower but didn't want
to set up a class D airspace (controlled airspace takes a NPRM
process to set up). Temporary or new towers frequently get
turned on without the class D having been established. So,
they brought back the ATA except that they don't call it that.
You'll find a quaint additional reg that says you gotta call
the tower while within 4NM and 2500 of an control tower (even
in class E or G airspace... 91.127(c), 91.126(d)).

One problem with the alphabet airspace reclass is we did lose
some nice terms. "Control Zone" was much better than "Surface
Area of controlled airspace designated for an airport". And
Airport Traffic Area is better than "within 4NM miles from the
surface to 2500' agl of an airport with an operating control tower."
Old May 13th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

Back before we called it class D, we called the area around a controlled
airport an Airport Traffic Area. It extended for 5 NM (SM?) and up to 3,000
AGL from the tower. Just to confuse matters, 99.9% of controlled air ports
had a region around them that controlled airspace went to the ground. It
was always close to the boundary of the ATA, but not the same.

One day I was flying into OK City at night VFR. As I approached the city
from the south I called approach. He imediately tells me to call such and
such tower because I am smack in the middle of his airspace. I look at my
map and see something I had never seen before. A blue airport without the
blue dash lines around it indicating the drop in altitude of controlled
airspace. I had flown this route many times and never seen this fact
before. I talked to the tower, then back to approach control. Approach
asked me to call him on the phone when I got down. I almost didn't. I was
afraid of punitive action. But he was nice and let me know I was not the
first to violate this tower's airspace for the same reason.

Old May 13th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

How does a sectional indicate an airport with a tower but no class D?

Danny Deger

Color of the airport and tower frequency information in the airport data
field next to the colored airport.
It's still BLUE

BT

Old May 15th 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Ron Natalie wrote:
The class D is 4.6 NM (which you'll find is about the same
as 5 SM) and they made provision for class E extensions to
the class D (to handle the little notches of CZ that used
to protrude past the ATA boundaries).

As far as I can tell, there's no standard size for a class D circle. They
define the radius when the airspace is established. If you take a look at
a sectional of the airports around Phoenix, you'll see that most are 4NM, but
some are larger and some are smaller. Williams Gateway (IWA) is larger than
average, and on the west side, both Glendale (GEU) and Goodyear (GYR) are
much smaller than average.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old May 15th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote in message

As far as I can tell, there's no standard size for a class D circle. They
define the radius when the airspace is established. If you take a look
at
a sectional of the airports around Phoenix, you'll see that most are 4NM,
but
some are larger and some are smaller. Williams Gateway (IWA) is larger
than
average, and on the west side, both Glendale (GEU) and Goodyear (GYR) are
much smaller than average.

The standard is 3.5 NM plus the distance from the Airport Reference Point to
the end of the outermost runway, rounded up to the next tenth of a mile.
The objective is to maintain departure aircraft within controlled airspace
at a climb fradient of 200' per nautical mile. In cases of rising terrain
the surface area will be a greater.

Old May 16th 07, 11:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Danny Deger" wrote in message

How does a sectional indicate an airport with a tower but no class D?

Here are a couple of examples:

http://map.aeroplanner.com/mapping/c...yp=APT&txt=ord

http://map.aeroplanner.com/mapping/c...yp=APT&txt=msn

Old May 16th 07, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Danny Deger" wrote in message

My understanding now is there is no longer this subtle distintion between
Class D and Class E going to the ground.

There never was. Class D surface areas have always been indicated by a
dashed blue line and Class E surface areas by a dashed magenta line.

The area around a controlled
airport is Class D and is marked with a dashed blue line around the
airport.

The area around a controlled airport may be Class B, Class C, Class D, Class
E or Class G. If it is Class D it will be designated by a blue dashed line.

No more chance of class D airspace that is "marked" only because
the airport is blue.

There never was.

Old May 16th 07, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

When they rewrote the alphabet airspace, they did away with the
goofy unmarked ATA (so they claimed) and added the class D
surface area space to suck up both the CZ and ATA concepts.
The class D is 4.6 NM (which you'll find is about the same
as 5 SM) and they made provision for class E extensions to
the class D (to handle the little notches of CZ that used
to protrude past the ATA boundaries).

There is no standard size for a Class D or Class E surface area. The radius
is 3.5 NM plus the distance from the Airport Reference Point to the end of
the outermost runway, rounded up to the next tenth of a mile. The objective
is to contain departure aircraft within controlled airspace at a climb
gradient of 200' per nautical mile. In cases of rising terrain
the surface area will be larger.

The surface area may also need extensions to contain arrival aircraft. If
all extensions are 2 NM or less they will be Class D airspace. If any
extension is more than 2 NM then all extensions will be Class E.