Discus Battery Straps

Old April 7th 04, 05:13 PM
Brian Iten

Default Discus Battery Straps

Our club Discus has a spot for a battery just aft of the rudder pedals
but the straps are MIA. Is it safe to make new straps or use Velcro for
attaching the battery hold down?
Brian
17

Old April 7th 04, 07:01 PM
Tim Mara

as long as you're not flying it that way!
seriously.....even smaller 7 amp batteries weigh 7 pounds or more....any
crash could result in several G's, even at 7-8 G's that's equal to a force
of 50 or more pounds suddenly coming from this battery alone.and most
crashes would be more severe...I've seen batteries held in with Ty-wraps,
Velcro, even packing and double sided tape...Velcro may be easy, but do you
really need to risk this?
tim

Old April 7th 04, 07:03 PM
tango4

The Ventus and Nimbus arrangement for this battery box is a pair of
glasfibre plates with turned over tops that are spread to fit the battery
and spring back to hold it in place. Schempp or their agents may have a
replacement pair for you.

Ian

Old April 7th 04, 07:45 PM
John Ferguson

Remember weight and balance if you fit something weighing
3 kilos that far forward.

John

Old April 7th 04, 07:59 PM
Brian Iten

There hasn't been a battery used in that position for
some time as the battery location is behind the seat.
I was thinking about carrying a small back up battery
in that position if I could find the OEM hold down
straps and I would definatly re-weigh the glider for
a new weight and balance.
Thanks for the comments and suggestions,
Brian
17

Old April 7th 04, 10:22 PM
John Ferguson

Old April 8th 04, 12:20 AM
BTIZ

I would not think a complete re-weigh would be required, but at least a
mathematical correction to the current weight and balance should be logged,
with information for CG with and without the battery in place.

BT