Carl Herold news

Old September 12th 16, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Default Carl Herold news

From Ty White:
I've learned that Carl Herold died on September 5 from complications of Alzheimer’s disease. He was 84 and had been in a memory care facility since 2011. I am not aware of any memorial plans. As many of you know, Carl played a big role in the history of PASCO and Air Sailing, and in the promotion of wave soaring and cross country flying in Region 11. He was responsible for creating and maintaining the CH handicap system for sports class contests for many years.

Ramy
Old September 12th 16, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 11:05:34 AM UTC-6, Ramy wrote:
From Ty White:
I've learned that Carl Herold died on September 5 from complications of Alzheimer’s disease. He was 84 and had been in a memory care facility since 2011. I am not aware of any memorial plans. As many of you know, Carl played a big role in the history of PASCO and Air Sailing, and in the promotion of wave soaring and cross country flying in Region 11. He was responsible for creating and maintaining the CH handicap system for sports class contests for many years.

Ramy

When I first met Carl Herold at the PASCO Wave Camp in 1984, he had amassed 300 hours above 30,000ft in gliders.

Frank Whiteley
Old September 12th 16, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Sorry to hear this, but based on age, not totally unexpected.

Never met him, but looked at and flew sometimes based on the "CH handicaps".

Yet another "pioneer" in US soaring that has permanant wings.

As Charlie S. would say, "good finish.......".
Old September 13th 16, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A giant of our sport and a witness to and participant in historic events. I hope someone compiles a biography. If half the things he told me are true it would still make for fascinating reading. Privilege to have known him.
MM
Old September 13th 16, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I was at the SSA Convention in Knoxville, TN in 1999 and was amazed at the poster-sized depictions of 3D flight traces with realistic scenery derived from GPS logs and satellite imagery that Carl had developed from soaring adventures in the Owens Valley area. You could literally see the entire flight- climbs, wind drift, altitude and everything. It was like SeeYou, but years prior to its introduction. As a hang glider pilot, my eyes were opened wide. Carl was most generous with his time explaining the technology we were about to enjoy. It was enlightening, and was a major influence on my inevitable decision to transition to sailplanes from hang gliders.

Of course, some orthopedic surgeons also had a say in the matter.

RIP, Carl. I will remember you.
Old September 13th 16, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 5:25:59 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I was at the SSA Convention in Knoxville, TN in 1999 and was amazed at the poster-sized depictions of 3D flight traces with realistic scenery derived from GPS logs and satellite imagery that Carl had developed from soaring adventures in the Owens Valley area. You could literally see the entire flight- climbs, wind drift, altitude and everything. It was like SeeYou, but years prior to its introduction. As a hang glider pilot, my eyes were opened wide. Carl was most generous with his time explaining the technology we were about to enjoy. It was enlightening, and was a major influence on my inevitable decision to transition to sailplanes from hang gliders.

Of course, some orthopedic surgeons also had a say in the matter.

RIP, Carl. I will remember you.

If those were the posters I believe they were, I actually made those using a program I wrote, from both Carl's log files and my own. Yes, Carl was a visionary, and he was alway generous with his time explaining to me how to make the most of Great Basin weather conditions. RIP.

Marc
Old September 13th 16, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Carl is the father of US handicap soaring. He wrote the first rules, crunched the first handicap numbers and CD'd the first sports class contest at Air Sailing in 1975 and annually ther after. Carl would announce the minimum distance for the scratch ship and then we would divide our own handicap into the scratch distance to see how far we must go that day. Then we went through the Green Book to find a triangle that was greater than our required distance. The Red Book showed a sketch of all turn points with glider position and photo target. Using Carl's rules there was an all sports contest at El Marage and Montigue, then the first Sports Class Nationals at Minden in 1978.
The sports owes Carl more than words can express. Good Finish, Good Contest, Good Life,........ONE VICTOR
JJ
Old September 13th 16, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
xcnick

A brilliant man who could explain things to a pudknocker like me. He was not only generous to a fault, he seemed to enjoy the rest of us.

green air, nick
Old September 14th 16, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Finegan[_2_]

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 12:05:34 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
From Ty White:
I've learned that Carl Herold died on September 5 from complications of Alzheimer’s disease. He was 84 and had been in a memory care facility since 2011. I am not aware of any memorial plans. As many of you know, Carl played a big role in the history of PASCO and Air Sailing, and in the promotion of wave soaring and cross country flying in Region 11. He was responsible for creating and maintaining the CH handicap system for sports class contests for many years.

Ramy

Sorry to hear that. First met Carl while dropping in at AirSailing. He generously took me up in the Rhonlerche (IIRC) and showed me the area. We kept in touch and I later flew as "honorable ballast" on a flight out of Minden in his Nimbus IIIDM - what an exciting flight! Flew down the Whites and Inyos and back, out into the Basin and back with enough altitude to sightsee over Lake Tahoe.
I once described Carl as "Zelig", as he showed up in many episodes this country's clandestine services were involved in. Wish he had written an autobiography, but I suspect it would have required security clearance to read.

Fly onward and upward, my friend.

Mike