Autotow Antares 23

Old September 12th 16, 09:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andor Holtsmark[_2_]

Default Autotow Antares 23

Just a short video that we would like to sha
https://youtu.be/XfCT8BVFn5Y

A. Holtsmark
Lange Aviation GmbH

Old September 14th 16, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 1:23:57 PM UTC-5, Andor Holtsmark wrote:
Just a short video that we would like to sha
https://youtu.be/XfCT8BVFn5Y

A. Holtsmark
Lange Aviation GmbH

Andor, what altitudes were achieved and what was the runway/cable length? Would it be possible to deploy the (sustainer) engine after the tow and climb away further?
Old September 14th 16, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom (TK)

https://youtu.be/b1NIDppkmKU

This is a video of what you are talking about using the sustainer on auto tow with an Antares 18T. I am the new US representative for Lange Aviation and would be happy to discuss this with you. 361-549-6627

Tom

Old September 14th 16, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 8:42:53 AM UTC-5, Tom (TK) wrote:
https://youtu.be/b1NIDppkmKU

This is a video of what you are talking about using the sustainer on auto tow with an Antares 18T. I am the new US representative for Lange Aviation and would be happy to discuss this with you. 361-549-6627

Tom

Danke, hatte ich mir schon gedacht. The sustainer can also help during high altitude launches by a marginal tow plane as a JS1 pilot demonstrated with his jet sustainer this year at Parowan.
Old September 14th 16, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 9:54:40 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 8:42:53 AM UTC-5, Tom (TK) wrote:
https://youtu.be/b1NIDppkmKU

This is a video of what you are talking about using the sustainer on auto tow with an Antares 18T. I am the new US representative for Lange Aviation and would be happy to discuss this with you. 361-549-6627

Tom

Danke, hatte ich mir schon gedacht. The sustainer can also help during high altitude launches by a marginal tow plane as a JS1 pilot demonstrated with his jet sustainer this year at Parowan.

Forgot the link to the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TReDnWCkhO8
Old September 14th 16, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

IIRC, not permitted in the JS1 jet sustainer manual unfortunately.
Old September 14th 16, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 10:58:21 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 9:54:40 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 8:42:53 AM UTC-5, Tom (TK) wrote:
https://youtu.be/b1NIDppkmKU

This is a video of what you are talking about using the sustainer on auto tow with an Antares 18T. I am the new US representative for Lange Aviation and would be happy to discuss this with you. 361-549-6627

Tom

Danke, hatte ich mir schon gedacht. The sustainer can also help during high altitude launches by a marginal tow plane as a JS1 pilot demonstrated with his jet sustainer this year at Parowan.

Forgot the link to the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TReDnWCkhO8

Thanks for sharing that link, Herb. Seems risky since these engines don't like to ingest any debris and I don't think anyone will use a large Hoover to clear the runway of any small debris.
Uli
Old September 14th 16, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andor Holtsmark[_2_]

At 13:29 14 September 2016, wrote:
Andor, what altitudes were achieved and what was the runway/cable length?
Would it be possible to deploy the (sustainer) engine after the tow and
climb away further?

Hi,
We used a 370 m /1214 ft dyneema rope and 2 km / 1.24 miles of runway.
With no water, we reached some 300 m / 980 ft altitude in a combination of
fast tow (160 kph / 100 mph) and some headwind (20/30 kph / 10-16 kts)
At 902 kg / 1988 lbs, we maxed out at 250 m / 820 ft).
A hard runway would probably improve these values. Friction on grass is one
of the determining factors with regards to runway length vs. altitude.

The idea is to get a safe semi-autonumous launch. The testing with the 18T
idling during tow showed that cutting the engine mid tow still left the
pilot with enough altitude for a shortened circuit and normal landing.

We also view it as important to get the self-sustainer (which is not
certified for launching) above minimum legal altitude from ground, so that
no aviation authority can (rightly) claim that we use a self-sustainer
engine for self launching.

Applying engine power during the tow mainly led to issues with overrunning
the tow rope and similar. It is therefore advisable to have an engine with
throttle control (and a starter motor for safe ground starting).

We are now in the process of getting our home airfield certified for
car-towing, and I believe that being able to flight-test non-self launchers
without getting a tow-plane in will be a nice in-house bonus.

Andor

On a side-note
I think that the idea of "helping" an aero-tow by deploying a conventional
self-sustainer is a bad one. If the engine quits, then the extra drag of
the engine can pull down both sailplane and tow-plane. With a jet, it may
be less critical. However, the jet noise at low altitude may lead to
trouble with otherwise peaceful neighbors.

Old September 14th 16, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 7:42:53 AM UTC-6, Tom (TK) wrote:
https://youtu.be/b1NIDppkmKU

This is a video of what you are talking about using the sustainer on auto tow with an Antares 18T. I am the new US representative for Lange Aviation and would be happy to discuss this with you. 361-549-6627

Tom

Tom,
As the new US rep for Lange, I have some easy questions:

1. Do they have a website that is in English? If so, can you provide the URL? I tried looking for it and was unsuccessful...
2. Do you expect any future changes to their current sailplane offering?
3. I do recall reading somewhere that there were (perhaps) some financial issues at Lange. If that info was correct, has that all been resolved? If that was never an issue, please confirm.

Thanks for your help!
Renny
Old September 14th 16, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom (TK)

1. Do they have a website that is in English? If so, can you provide the URL? I tried looking for it and was unsuccessful...

http://www.lange-aviation.com/

Google auto translates for me. We are working on an English website.

2. Do you expect any future changes to their current sailplane offering?

20E
23E
23T (Solo sustainer)

The 18T will no longer be offered

3. I do recall reading somewhere that there were (perhaps) some financial issues at Lange. If that info was correct, has that all been resolved? If that was never an issue, please confirm.

This was one of the questions I asked when I visited the factory in Germany as I had heard these rumors also. I was told that this was not the case and Mr Lange shared financial information with me that set my mind at ease. Lange Aviation does not derive it's main income from manufacturing sailplanes, they are a research company that manufactures sailplanes. They have many government and industry/manufacturing partners. Their next big project will be the H3 powered by a diesel fuel cell. They are constantly improving on their designs with an upgrade path for older models. A perfect example of this is their charge plus upgrade.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/f...npleEZyZm9aNTQ

I wrote a short article for our club newsletter(Soaring Club of Houston). You will see in the pictures many sailplanes in different stages of production. They are producing one a month and have a few delivery positions still open in early 2017. Charter companies have been buying and using the aircraft in Europe and Namibia with great reliability. In the article I also wrote about product support -check it out.

I think they are doing great things and as soon as I sell my ASG-29 I will be ordering a new -23E.

Antares 20E for sale Dave Nadler Soaring 15 April 26th 17 09:31 PM
18m Antares johngalloway[_3_] Soaring 1 January 15th 12 02:49 AM
Antares H2 video Dave Nadler Soaring 7 May 14th 10 04:52 PM
Antares [email protected] Soaring 3 August 26th 07 12:22 AM
Antares article David Kinsell Soaring 0 October 21st 05 02:52 PM