Avoiding Vne

Old April 7th 04, 07:56 PM
F.L. Whiteley

That's what I recall causing the dive in values. The quick fix was to
tighten the speed envelopes I thought. But that was 1999.

This is now.

One of our CFI-G/Tow pilots starts his Navy BPT next month. He said all
T-34B's(? or civilian use?) were grounded a couple of weeks ago and there
will be spar mods required. Don't know how the A differs from the B, but
the Navy trainers are still flying for now. He's looking forward to flying
with a turbo. He thinks his winch launching experiences have him ready for
carrier ops:^)

Frank

"Mark James Boyd" wrote in message
I'd recommend reading about the asymmetric loading arguments
presented at:

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182086-1.html

The meat of the matter starts about halfway down
the page. Essentially it says full aileron and full elevator
when applied simultaneously create a much greater chance of wing
failure at a lower airspeed than just applying either one independently.

I'm not aware of how this may or may not apply to
gliders. Perhaps some expert in wing construction
can give most welcome educated opinion...

F.L. Whiteley wrote:

"Mark James Boyd" wrote in message
K.P. Termaat wrote:
Yesterday evening I talked with a friend about avoiding excessive

speed
when
recovering from a spin in a modern low drag glider with the somewhat

larger
span.

A lot has been written here about G loads. I recall that the
T-34 (an aerobatic power plane I have a little time in
which is sortof a tandem Beech 33) had some issues with wings
coming off during aerobatics. The recorded G loads and mauevers
indicated the aircraft wasn't flown outside of G limits.

How did the wings separate? Some smarty folks said it was
because the twisting G load that the wing could endure was
much less than the static tested load. If the ailerons were
deflected and the thing was in a steep spiral (as opposed
to straight dive) there were twisting loads.

Thought I heard that inspections showed T-34 wings were suffering from
fatigue cracks. Kind of shot down some of the 'fighter dude' thrill

rides
(we have/had one in Colorado). We have a disassembled T-34 wrapped in
plastic in our hangar. I recall a conversation about the value dropping

by
about 50% when the crack problem was discovered.

--

Mark Boyd