Cambridge Model 20 Issues

Old April 6th 04, 12:36 AM
B. Iten

Default Cambridge Model 20 Issues

I am (I think) a proud owner of a model 20 which is driving me up the
wall. Yesterday, I was flying our clubs Discus B with my logger
attached under the glare shield. On my flight, after I was off of tow,
the recorder recorded what looked and was shown as engine noise. The
engine noise also showed up in flight for a couple of minutes. A
friend of mine asked if I had the gear down during my initial climb
and I did. I also dropped the gear to drain my bladder once. My logger
is translating engine noise for gear doors open. Am I the only one
with this problem? Is there a sensativity adjustment that can be done?
I have the question posted to Cambridge but they are close now so I
figured I would see if someone out there had the answer faster.
Thanks
Brian Iten
17
Old April 6th 04, 02:32 AM
Gary Evans

Any significant noise (e.g. high speed, gear down,
spoilers) may show as engine noise on the flight log
but it's apparent to anyone reading the trace that
engine noise while sinking isn't really from a motor
on.

Old April 6th 04, 02:35 AM
Eric Greenwell

B. Iten wrote:

I am (I think) a proud owner of a model 20 which is driving me up the
wall. Yesterday, I was flying our clubs Discus B with my logger
attached under the glare shield. On my flight, after I was off of tow,
the recorder recorded what looked and was shown as engine noise. The
engine noise also showed up in flight for a couple of minutes. A
friend of mine asked if I had the gear down during my initial climb
and I did. I also dropped the gear to drain my bladder once. My logger
is translating engine noise for gear doors open. Am I the only one
with this problem? Is there a sensativity adjustment that can be done?
I have the question posted to Cambridge but they are close now so I
figured I would see if someone out there had the answer faster.

What you describe is normal and proper operation of the recorder, unless
the values are very high. On my glider, gear down is around 40-50 units,
engine noise is over 200.

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old April 6th 04, 09:43 AM
Tim Newport-Peace

In article , Eric Greenwell
writes
B. Iten wrote:

[...]

Are you sure about ENL of over 200?

Although the range of possible values is 0-999, on the Model 10/20/25
only values between 0 and 195 are recorded (in the .IGC file).

It would be interesting to see the .IGC file.

Best regards,

Tim Newport-Peace

"May you be cursed with a chronic anxiety about the weather."

John Burroughs (1837-1921).

Old April 6th 04, 05:30 PM
Eric Greenwell

Tim Newport-Peace wrote:
In article , Eric Greenwell
writes

B. Iten wrote:

[...]

I was looking at the files with the old Cambridge DOS viewer, which does
show values to 400 for both the original CAI file and the post-flight
generated IGC file. The newer viewers (Cambridge's Aero Explorer and
Seeyou) seem to rescale the values to a full scale of 195 for both file
formats. I should have asked Brian which viewer he was using, but I
didn't realize the CAI values were being rescaled.

--
-----

Old April 6th 04, 06:07 PM
Greg Arnold

Brian Iten's file with the high noise reading in on the OLC site for
April 4, if anyone wants to look at it.

Eric Greenwell wrote:

Tim Newport-Peace wrote:

In article , Eric Greenwell
writes

Old April 6th 04, 06:56 PM
Brian Iten

Thanks for posting where to see the file at Greg. I guess the next
question to this issue will be what will happen if during a badge or
record flight, you drop the gear to water the desert? With the engine
noise being recorded, will this affect your claim?
Brian
17

Old April 6th 04, 09:35 PM
Eric Greenwell

Brian Iten wrote:

Thanks for posting where to see the file at Greg. I guess the next
question to this issue will be what will happen if during a badge or
record flight, you drop the gear to water the desert? With the engine
noise being recorded, will this affect your claim?
Brian

It's not an issue unless you are flying a motorglider, then the flight
evaluators must determine if it was caused by the engine or other
sources. Generally, this isn't hard to do.

Just be sure your Official Observer can tell the difference between a
Discus B and a Discus BT!

--
-----

Buying an L-2 Robert M. Gary Piloting 13 May 25th 04 04:03 AM
FA: 5 Airplane Model Kits - Bomber, Jet, Warbird Disgo Aviation Marketplace 0 February 22nd 04 05:00 PM
How much could I get for these back issues? Aaron Smith Home Built 8 December 15th 03 12:07 PM
Updated IGC approval documents for Cambridge GNSS flight recorders Ian Strachan Soaring 0 August 27th 03 05:28 PM
Cambridge GPS-NAV Model 10 DB9 Pinout Terry Healy Soaring 1 August 11th 03 05:54 PM