DG goes the sustainer option.

Old May 31st 04, 04:11 AM
Paul

Default DG goes the sustainer option.

Looks like DG have succumbed to market forces by annoucing they will produce
a "Turbo" version of the 808. See
http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/dg-808st-e.html Also has the 600kg all up
weight. Nice.

Old May 31st 04, 08:53 AM
Bruce Hoult

In article Ldyuc.3832$lL1.2063@fed1read03,
"BTIZ" wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message
Looks like DG have succumbed to market forces by annoucing they
will produce a "Turbo" version of the 808. See
http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/dg-808st-e.html Also has the 600kg all
up weight. Nice.

the standard engines get a little anemic out here in the western high
desert.. (US)

Uhhh ... that would appear to be a non sequitur. A "turbo" is a power
improvement over a standard glider ... it's a big step down in power
(and price) from a standard engine.

-- Bruce
Old May 31st 04, 12:06 PM
Doug Hoffman

Someone please correct me if I've got this wrong. I thought the term
"Turbo" as it applies to gliders means that the sustainer engine can be
started simply by using the propeller(s): i.e., the forward movement of the
glider thru the air will cause the propeller(s) to act as a "turbine" to
start the engine(hence the term turbo). Weight savings are realized due to
lack of electric starter (and battery?).

Regards,

-Doug

Old May 31st 04, 02:15 PM
Gary Evans

That's a correct definition of TURBO. As you mentioned
they weigh less because of not having a starter and
the large battery system but also because they use
smaller direct drive engines thereby eliminating the
reduction drive.

At 11:24 31 May 2004, Doug Hoffman wrote:
Someone please correct me if I've got this wrong.
I thought the term
'Turbo' as it applies to gliders means that the sustainer
engine can be
started simply by using the propeller(s): i.e., the
forward movement of the
glider thru the air will cause the propeller(s) to
act as a 'turbine' to
start the engine(hence the term turbo). Weight savings
are realized due to
lack of electric starter (and battery?).

Regards,

-Doug

Old May 31st 04, 02:16 PM
BTIZ

mmmm... I thought the 808 came with a power option... maybe I'm thinking of
the 800A.. and a turbo.. would be a step up from non turbo

BT

Old May 31st 04, 02:40 PM
Mark Navarre

Uhhh ... that would appear to be a non sequitur. A "turbo" is a power
improvement over a standard glider ... it's a big step down in power
(and price) from a standard engine.

Kind of like how Chevy used to call the lowest trim level on their truck line
the "Custom Deluxe" so it didn't sound like the bare bones plain jane that it
was.
The "Turbo" nickname gives a warm fuzzy to those who didn't step all the way
up to a self-launcher.
The whole concept is ironic: You are already low, and now you have to DIVE to
get your engine to start and hopefully get you home.
Sure wish I had a self-launcher (self-starter)!

-
Mark Navarre
2/5 black ace
LoCal, USA
remove brain to reply
-
Old May 31st 04, 03:36 PM
Gary Evans

With either a self launcher or turbo if you have waited
until you were low to start the engine you have made
at least two bad mistakes.

Old June 1st 04, 02:33 AM
BTIZ

to those of us converts from powered aircraft.. a turbo would signify more
power.. not less.. a turbo charger ramming more intake air into the
manifold.. thus creating more power at high density altitudes...

But I checked DG's web to see what all the fuss is about..

BT

Old June 1st 04, 03:50 AM
Doug Hoffman

Right. Although the usage of the term seems valid in this sustainer
application as well. I'm not sure how the term is viewed in Germany, but
here in the US it has been abused in many ways (that is, used to describe a
product that has absolutely nothing to do with a turbine. Turbo Tax,
anyone?). Sometimes I think that if I had a cat that I wanted to sell I
would call it a "turbo cat". ;-)

-Doug