iPhone Glide Computer

Old September 7th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Default iPhone Glide Computer

Is it just me or does the potential of using an iPhone also as a Glide Comp
seem like a cool idea.

I don't have one, nor do I plan to in the near future (maybe when the price
comes down another $200).
But I was just thinking about the devices I do use on occasion, PDA, mobile
phone, internet desktop, flight computer, all combined into one critter would
be kinda neat.

Whattya think?

Old September 7th 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 6, 4:14 pm, "Kloudy via AviationKB.com" u33403@uwe wrote:
Is it just me or does the potential of using an iPhone also as a Glide Comp
seem like a cool idea.

I don't have one, nor do I plan to in the near future (maybe when the price
comes down another $200).
But I was just thinking about the devices I do use on occasion, PDA, mobile
phone, internet desktop, flight computer, all combined into one critter would
be kinda neat.

Whattya think?

I use an iPAQ 6315, does all of the above.

Old September 7th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Ash

Kloudy via AviationKB.com u33403@uwe wrote:
Is it just me or does the potential of using an iPhone also as a Glide Comp
seem like a cool idea.

I don't have one, nor do I plan to in the near future (maybe when the price
comes down another $200).
But I was just thinking about the devices I do use on occasion, PDA, mobile
phone, internet desktop, flight computer, all combined into one critter would
be kinda neat.

Whattya think?

I think the lack of GPS kills it for now.

If and when Apple adds GPS I think it could be a pretty good platform. The
touchscreen seems ideal and the hardware is nice and powerful. One problem
is the lack of a sanctioned way to develop for the platform. It's hackable
but without an official way it's likely to remain the realm of hobbyists
and limit the amount of software available.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software
Old September 7th 07, 08:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 7, 5:19 am, Michael Ash wrote:
[...]

The Openmoko Linux phone Version2 has a GPS (and accelerometers).
comming out in a few months.

Peter

Old September 7th 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default IPAQ 6315

On Sep 7, 3:04 am, Phil Collin wrote:
wrote:
On Sep 6, 4:14 pm, "Kloudy via AviationKB.com" u33403@uwe wrote:
Is it just me or does the potential of using an iPhone also as a Glide Comp
seem like a cool idea.

I don't have one, nor do I plan to in the near future (maybe when the price
comes down another $200).
But I was just thinking about the devices I do use on occasion, PDA, mobile
phone, internet desktop, flight computer, all combined into one critter would
be kinda neat.

Whattya think?

I use an iPAQ 6315, does all of the above.

Gary, what software do you run on your IPAQ , do you use a remote GPS
receiver and how have you mounted it and powered it in the cockpit. I
ask as I wish to install one in my PIK but am unsure what to get etc.

Thanks

Phil

I use winpilot, Richard Pfiffner from Craggy Aero can set you up with
the appropriate cables to connect to a cambridge for example, I also
have used a blue tooth gps antenna with it.

Old September 8th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell

Phil Collin wrote:
wrote:
[...]

You might want to read the reviews on the 6315 carefully before making
a decision. It was their first (and worst) attempt to crack the cell
phone market, and had so many issues that T-Mobile dropped it early.
Even if you ignore the poor cell performance, you're left with a
terribly unimpressive PDA.

Hardware issues aside, having a cell phone combined with a flight
computer really doesn't make sense. If you have to bail out, wouldn't
you rather the cell went with you, rather than going down with the ship?
This is particularly important if you've got a PLB or ELT, in that you
may be able to communicate the seriousness of the emergency to rescuers.

For now, I'll stick with a nice, small, reliable cell phone and go for
a big, high-res screen PDA thingie if I want moving maps, a media
player, and a web-surfing appliance. The hw4700 looks like a decent
choice, if running the common soaring software is required.

-Dave
Old September 10th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

David Kinsell wrote:
Is it just me or does the potential of using an iPhone also as a
Glide Comp

[quoted text clipped - 20 lines]
Hardware issues aside, having a cell phone combined with a flight
computer really doesn't make sense. If you have to bail out, wouldn't
you rather the cell went with you, rather than going down with the ship?

Yeah, I see what you mean.
I was thinking primarily about simply reducing the population of thingies I
carry around.

BTW, thanx for the info on the PDA.

I'm still toodling around with my ol' Nokia 6010 and the iPaq 1500. ; }

Old September 10th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 8, 7:13 am, David Kinsell wrote:
Phil Collin wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Maybe my standards are low but the ipaq 6315 has done everything I
like from audio to ebooks to mapping software to gps programs, to phone

Old September 11th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GK[_1_]

The Openmoko Linux phone Version2 has a GPS (and accelerometers).
comming out in a few months.

Peter- Hide quoted text -

Looks like a very interesting platform and knowing Linux it should
be very stable. It will be interesting to see if the idea of
commercial free software picks up on the handhelds.

GK

Warning:Off-topic, iPhone opinions solicited Stewart Kissel Soaring 16 July 4th 07 02:44 AM
Glide computer Mark Siegelberg Soaring 1 January 13th 07 02:08 PM
Best Glide computer and why Roger Soaring 10 October 24th 06 08:28 PM
Glide Loops [email protected] Soaring 0 April 29th 06 05:55 PM
Glide Navigator II help [email protected] Soaring 7 March 24th 06 05:16 PM