Student Pilot & Aviation Headsets

Old July 17th 10, 06:43 PM
Jessica Stanley Jessica Stanley is offline
Junior Member

Default Student Pilot & Aviation Headsets

I am starting my flight training and I would like some feedback from other pilots on aviation headsets. Like most student pilots, I am on a budget but I do want a good, sturdy headset that will last me at least 5 years. Also, I would like an ANR headset. I have heard very good things about the Bose Aviation Headset X and the LSP Zulu. I know these are top of the line and quite expensive but I have no problem spending the money if I know these headsets will last. Do any of you guys have either one of these headsets? If so, where is the best place to order one? Thanks for the feedback!!
Old July 18th 10, 09:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Thomas Borchert

Jessica,

but I do want a good, sturdy headset that will last me at least 5
years.

If that's your goal: Lightspeed Zulu - no question. It's currently the
best headset around. And I have doubts this will change by OSH,
although you may want to wait for that. Where to buy? Find the cheapest
online spot - and wait for OSH at the end of the month to get a
potential special.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 19th 10, 04:48 AM
WhenTurtlesFly WhenTurtlesFly is offline
Junior Member

Location: KAXH

I fly Lightspeed 20xl/c and have been very happy with them. My flight instructor has an older one with some cracked plastic but had it replaced under warranty.

If it were me, I would think the Sierra line of Lightspeed headset gives what I want in ANR, comfort, music and cell phone connectivity while still saving some $$$ for flight time!
Old July 19th 10, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Brian Whatcott

On 7/17/2010 12:43 PM, Jessica Stanley wrote:
I am starting my flight training and I would like some feedback from
other pilots on aviation headsets. Like most student pilots, I am on a
budget but I do want a good, sturdy headset that will last me at least 5
years. Also, I would like an ANR headset. I have heard very good things
about the Bose Aviation Headset X and the LSP Zulu. I know these are top
of the line and quite expensive but I have no problem spending the money
if I know these headsets will last. Do any of you guys have either one
of these headsets? If so, where is the best place to order one? Thanks
for the feedback!!

The most accepted headset among airline crews is the David Clark range:
$250 - $800
The cheapest headset range is from Gulf Coast Avionics under $100 on up.

Brian W
Old July 21st 10, 04:53 AM
Jessica Stanley Jessica Stanley is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Borchert View Post
Jessica,

but I do want a good, sturdy headset that will last me at least 5
years.

If that's your goal: Lightspeed Zulu - no question. It's currently the
best headset around. And I have doubts this will change by OSH,
although you may want to wait for that. Where to buy? Find the cheapest
online spot - and wait for OSH at the end of the month to get a
potential special.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)
Thomas,

Thank you very much for the feedback! I will probably end up going with LSP but I am worried because the Zulu isn't TSO'd. You wouldn't by any chance know which LSP is better? The Sierra or the Zulu?

-Jessica
Old July 21st 10, 04:55 AM
Jessica Stanley Jessica Stanley is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenTurtlesFly View Post
I fly Lightspeed 20xl/c and have been very happy with them. My flight instructor has an older one with some cracked plastic but had it replaced under warranty.

If it were me, I would think the Sierra line of Lightspeed headset gives what I want in ANR, comfort, music and cell phone connectivity while still saving some $$$ for flight time!
Thank you very much for the feedback!! I am probably going to go with a Lightspeed. You wouldn't, by any chance, know the main differences between the Zulu and the Sierra. I know the Zulu has better ANR quality but if the differences are very slight, than I wouldn't mind saving some money and going with the Sierra. Thank you!!

-Jessica
Old July 21st 10, 04:59 AM
Jessica Stanley Jessica Stanley is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian whatcott View Post
On 7/17/2010 12:43 PM, Jessica Stanley wrote:
I am starting my flight training and I would like some feedback from
other pilots on aviation headsets. Like most student pilots, I am on a
budget but I do want a good, sturdy headset that will last me at least 5
years. Also, I would like an ANR headset. I have heard very good things
about the Bose Aviation Headset X and the LSP Zulu. I know these are top
of the line and quite expensive but I have no problem spending the money
if I know these headsets will last. Do any of you guys have either one
of these headsets? If so, where is the best place to order one? Thanks
for the feedback!!

The most accepted headset among airline crews is the David Clark range:
$250 - $800
The cheapest headset range is from Gulf Coast Avionics under $100 on up.

Brian W
Brain,

Thank you very much for the feedback! I was looking at some DCs but I heard the David Clark X11 isn't that great. You wouldn't, by any chance, know what it is like to fly with one would you? I have heard really good things about LSP so that is why I have been interested in LSP. Thanks!

-Jessica
Old July 24th 10, 08:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Thomas Borchert

Brian,

The most accepted headset among airline crews is the David Clark range:
$250 - $800

I have to disagree here. Strongly. First, I have never seen a DC in an
airline jet cockpit. Second, define "accepted". They were the first big
brand. That doesn't mean they are the best.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 24th 10, 08:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Thomas Borchert

Jessica,

I am worried because the Zulu isn't TSO'd.

AFAIK, you need a TSO only in commercial use under certain conditions.

The Sierra is the low cost headset from LS...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 29th 10, 04:55 AM
Jessica Stanley Jessica Stanley is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Borchert View Post
Jessica,

I am worried because the Zulu isn't TSO'd.

AFAIK, you need a TSO only in commercial use under certain conditions.

The Sierra is the low cost headset from LS...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)
Thomas,

Yes, that was my main concern but I think by the time I get to an airline, I will invest in a commerical headset. Bose did just release their new A20 headset that is equipped with Bluetooth. I believe it is a replacement for the Aviation Headset X. I am looking into that. I found it on Pilotshop.com for $1,095.00 and it is tax free and they will send it to me with free overnight shipping. I am inclined to go with that after I do some more research. They even offer it with out bluetooth. I had my decision made about the Zulu but then Bose came out with the A20 so now I am back to square one. Oh well. Thanks for all the feed back! I appreciate it!

-Jessica

New student pilot Richard Carpenter Piloting 23 September 12th 07 01:41 AM
Dog Days of Aviation, pt 2 - Bf 109E-4 of Jagdfleiger Schule 2- with student pilot.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman Aviation Photos 0 June 5th 07 01:22 PM
Student Pilot at 50 TF Piloting 31 March 16th 04 01:58 AM
FS: Pilot Aviation Ultra S-51 Headsets Slor Aviation Marketplace 0 November 25th 03 05:31 AM
Student Pilot Patrick Piloting 1 August 7th 03 05:38 AM