iPAQ 2210 or 39xx?

Old October 17th 04, 02:12 PM
Mal Williams

Default iPAQ 2210 or 39xx?

I was going to buy an iPAQ 2210 for use as a final glide computer, but have
been advised that the old 39xx series is better, even though out of
production. Has anyone used the 2210? Is it any good?

thanks
Mal

Old October 17th 04, 07:51 PM
Eric Greenwell

Mal Williams wrote:

I was going to buy an iPAQ 2210 for use as a final glide computer, but have
been advised that the old 39xx series is better, even though out of
production. Has anyone used the 2210? Is it any good?

I have a 2210 and a 3835. I find the 2210 screen is usable in the
cockpit, but the 3835 screen is definitely better, and that's what I
use. I believe the 39xx series uses a screen similar to the 2210, but I
haven't compared them.

The very best thing to do is look at them yourself, outside in the
sunlight and in the shade. If you compare them indoors, you will think
the 2210 has the best display. Otherwise, it's a very nice unit.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old October 17th 04, 07:58 PM
RHP

"Mal Williams" wrote in message ...
I was going to buy an iPAQ 2210 for use as a final glide computer, but have
been advised that the old 39xx series is better, even though out of
production. Has anyone used the 2210? Is it any good?

thanks
Mal

Mal

The 2210 screen is slightly smaller than the 39xx series. For better
viewability on both please see my website for the anti-glare screen
protectors.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old October 17th 04, 11:09 PM
jorgie

Take a look at:

http://www.soarmn.com/cumulus/

Paul does a great job in explaining the pros and cons.

Sean

--
jorgie
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

Old October 18th 04, 05:54 PM
Paul Remde

Hi,

Like Eric, I prefer (slightly) the larger screens as found on the iPAQ 3800
and 3900 and 5000 series over the 2200 series units. Eric's testing shows
that the 3800 (with reflective TFT display) looks a little better in
sunlight than the 3900 and 5000 (with transflective TFT display). My
testing shows that they are very similar and the difference is hardly worth
going back to using an old 3800 over a new 5000 series unit. Other soaring
pilots such as Team StrePla in Germany agree with Eric that the 3800 series
is the best color option. I have a lot of respect for both Eric and Team
StrePla but I prefer the fastest available processor as found in the 3900,
5000 and especially the new 4700 series.

Certainly, no Pocket PC made today offers an LCD display that is as readable
in sunlight as we'd all like. But many pilots make due because they offer
very nice features like the graphical depiciton of reachable airports on the
map.

I use a 2200 and 3970 and 4705 for my soaring flights.

I really like the 2215 and 4705 because they have optional large batteries
that are great for powering the Pocket PC and a CF GPS for many hours of
soaring flight. The optional CF Card expansion pack plus with optional
large battery for the 3900 series also works well but is pricey once you buy
the basic expansion pack and then add the large battery (you can't buy the
expansion pack with the large battery).

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

Old November 3rd 04, 10:16 PM
Jim Kelly

Paul's comments make an excellent summary of my observations too.
I would add:

1. The H38xx series is older than the H39xx series, and have less
power.

2. The H38xx and the H39xx series have fixed batteries which may
be getting tired by now and cannot be changed to my knowledge.
Paul's notes re external batteries that add capacity to the
internal ones apply to these models too . . . but what happens
when the fixed internal ones become unreliable??!!

3. The new hx4700 / hx4705 has a larger display again - and a
much more detailed resolution (four times as many dots).

4. It is common to describe the display size by it's diagonal
length (3.5", 3.8", 4.0"), however we appreciate the AREA, so a
small change in 'size' can make a big change in area. IIRC the
H2210 is 25% smaller in area than the hx4700!

5. Younger people often accept the small display because their
youthful eyes can adjust easily and the compressed dots can make
their image 'better' (they would love the hx4700!). Older eyes
need the biggest display possible as we (over 45 yrs) have
difficulty changing focus quickly!

6. If you can devote a Pocket-PC to flying, life becomes much
simpler! So perhaps there is a place for a known good old model
and keep the new one for daily/work activities?

Cheers,

Jim Kelly.