US: TSA Rules Update

Old October 29th 04, 11:20 PM
Judy Ruprecht

Default US: TSA Rules Update

Go to SSA.org and click on GLIDER EXEMPTION

Judy

Old October 30th 04, 12:25 AM
Pete Reinhart

Judy,
I tried that and got 2 pages of grey and an error message.
The same with some others on the new site.
Maybe the site just doesn't like IE 5.0 or higher.
Cheers!

Old October 30th 04, 01:32 AM
Eric Greenwell

Pete Reinhart wrote:
Judy,
I tried that and got 2 pages of grey and an error message.
The same with some others on the new site.
Maybe the site just doesn't like IE 5.0 or higher.
Cheers!
"Judy Ruprecht" wrote in message

Go to SSA.org and click on GLIDER EXEMPTION

Hi Pete, it worked fine for me with Netscape 7.2, but not with IE 6. Try
saving it to disk, then opening it with Acrobat directly. This worked
for me using IE 6.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old October 30th 04, 03:29 AM
Pete Reinhart

Eric,
'll try it.
I've got IE 6.0 if iremember correctly.
Thanks!
Cheers!

Old October 30th 04, 05:52 AM
Wayne Paul

Pete,

I was also getting errors when trying to read the file using IE 6.0. I
saved the file my hard drive and still couldn't read it. Downloading and
installing the latest version of Acrobat solved the problem.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old October 30th 04, 07:16 AM
Caracole

Judy Ruprecht wrote in message ...
Go to SSA.org and click on GLIDER EXEMPTION

Judy

An EXEMPTION. Magnificent. And breathtakingly speedy, too.

USA Glider Instructors and Glider Flight Schools:
You should realize what a huge reversal this is in the federal
bureacracy's stance, regarding 'posturing for protecting.'

Many US pilots logged in and provided comments from blunt to
thoughtful about the inadequacy of planning in the first published
document. Those comments provided support and leverage for the
negotiations which SSA carried out on your behalf. In browsing the
docket's comments, I personally recognized perhaps half the posts as
glider pilots. Thank you to those folks who posted, for all soaring
pilots. I know several resident alien pilots who were fearful to
post, for future data tracking possibilities.

Other CFI organizations, other aircraft category flight schools
commented, but the airplane folks will still have a hard row to hoe to
get back to a normal method of continuing business. Thanks, TSA, for
hearing us.

Realize also, that there was not some benevolent independent effort
that created this result. It was SSA. I wish that all folks that log
US glider flight instruction in the next calendar year,and don't have
to provide fingerprints, documents, or more money to the federal
monster, choose to send at least half that value to the SSA as a thank
you.

Coming to the US for a glider flying holiday as a non-citizen?
You benefited also.

How to reward the organization that worked on your behalf?
Send your check to SSA, PO Box 2100, Hobbs, NM 88241-9977
Is this a shameless plea? Yes. Nobody asked me to post this.

Call it dues ($64). Call it a donation for Advocacy. Call it a
donation for the General Fund. But don't just shrug it off. Scribble
TSA on the note line.

Without SSA, this Exemption wouldn't have happened. Thanks, Judy,
Steve, Dennis, et all, and all those who commented to the docket.
Democracy worked this week in one small corner of the world.

Cindy Brickner
Old October 30th 04, 07:25 PM
Chip Bearden

Thanks, Cindy, for saying what all of us should be thinking. This is a
BIG DEAL for us as glider pilots in the U.S. and we should applaud the
SSA staff and volunteers--AND reasonable folks at the TSA--who helped
make this happen so remarkably quickly.

Disclaimer: I'm a former SSA Director. On the other hand, at times I'm
one of its most vocal critics. The organization has made some big
mistakes in recent years. Many problems still exist. And much progress
remains to be made. But as frustrated as I used to be as a Director
with the slow, sometimes erratic pace of improvement, more frustrating
still was the lack of awareness among our members--and non-member
glider pilots--of how well the SSA represents us with the Feds.

Things that make the SSA so effective as a lobbying force wildly
disproportionate to the importance of our hobby or to the number of
votes our members wield include: detailed knowledge of the regulatory
environment, intelligence, personal relationships, reason,
behind-the-scenes persuasiveness, the ability to seek compromise, the
political understanding not to trumpet each accomplishment as a
"victory" over the career regulators who must sometimes shoulder a
little risk and always answer to their bosses.

These very same things often discourage getting the story out to our
members even when there is something to celebrate, as there is this
time. At other times, when we must settle for half a loaf (or none at
all), our members don't always want to listen.

Well, this time we should all thank the SSA staff, the volunteers,
and--yes--the TSA for working together to preserve our ability to keep
flying without unnecessary, burdensome, and economically harmful
regulations.

Cindy's suggestion is a good one: put some money behind it. If you've
ever considered canceling your SSA membership in the past, now is the
time to re-up. If you're not a member, no more free rides: join now.
If you're a satisfied member, get the checkbook out and make a
contribution to Advocacy. Or to the Roof Fund so the staff can quit
worrying about which desk or file cabinet will get wet the next time
it rains which--based on my experience this summer--is nearly all the
time in Hobbs, NM.

Be selfish: do your part to help finance the only group in the world
standing between well-intentioned-but-ill-informed-and-short-sighted
politicians and your right to fly gliders.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
Old October 31st 04, 01:46 AM
acrawford

Judy Ruprecht wrote in message ...
Go to SSA.org and click on GLIDER EXEMPTION

Judy

As a resident alien glider pilot, I am grateful to Judy & all at the
SSA as well as everyone that helped by posting comments on the docket.
Thank you all.
Old October 31st 04, 01:07 AM
Nyal Williams

At 01:12 31 October 2004, Acrawford wrote:
Judy Ruprecht wrote in message news:...
Go to SSA.org and click on GLIDER EXEMPTION

Judy

As a resident alien glider pilot, I am grateful to
Judy & all at the
SSA as well as everyone that helped by posting comments
on the docket.
Thank you all.

It is interesting that the TSA has brought us back
to the old meaning of 'alien.' There are gobs of people
who think it means a creature from another planet.

Old November 4th 04, 03:16 AM
Mark James Boyd

This is even more amazing considering that the SSA dues are quite cheap and
the organization itself is so small. This was really very well done,
and is yet another notch in the SSA belt.

Without taking anything away from this victory, I would
also recommend to all pilots to join AOPA and support the
more general fight as well...

--

Mark J. Boyd