Arcus Maiden Voyage in the US

Old February 17th 10, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Barry[_4_]

Default Arcus Maiden Voyage in the US

We had the pleasure to take the Arcus on its maiden voyage in the US
this last weekend in Immokalee, FL. We made 6 flight for about 6
hours. What a dream ship. You would swear it was a singleplace 15m or
18m. Aileron control and roll rate were great. Even though this ship
just flat out goes I think the most remarkable thing was the way it
thermals. You feel like you are on rails. Very little rudder is
required and speeds stayed constant. It didn’t feel like you had a 20m
wing. Landing and takeoffs were easy. The cockpit is really quiet even
at 100knots. Schempp-Hirth has really changed the 20m two seat market.

Barry (ARC)
Old February 18th 10, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Barry,

Congratulations! It sure is a lovely ship!

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Old February 18th 10, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Adam

"Barry" wrote in message

We had the pleasure to take the Arcus on its maiden voyage in the US
this last weekend in Immokalee, FL. *We made 6 flight for about 6
hours. What a dream ship. You would swear it was a singleplace 15m or
18m. Aileron control and roll rate were great. Even though this ship
just flat out goes I think the most remarkable thing was the way it
thermals. You feel like you are on rails. Very little rudder is
required and speeds stayed constant. It didn’t feel like you had a 20m
wing. Landing and takeoffs were easy. The cockpit is really quiet even
at 100knots. Schempp-Hirth has really changed the 20m two seat market.

Barry (ARC)

Please complete my fantasy and tell me that you winched it with Don
Ingraham at Cross Country Soaring?!

/Adam
Old February 19th 10, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don[_6_]

"Barry" wrote in message

We had the pleasure to take the Arcus on its maiden voyage in the US
this last weekend in Immokalee, FL. *We made 6 flight for about 6
hours. What a dream ship. You would swear it was a singleplace 15m or
18m. Aileron control and roll rate were great. Even though this ship
just flat out goes I think the most remarkable thing was the way it
thermals. You feel like you are on rails. Very little rudder is
required and speeds stayed constant. It didn’t feel like you had a 20m
wing. Landing and takeoffs were easy. The cockpit is really quiet even
at 100knots. Schempp-Hirth has really changed the 20m two seat market.

Barry (ARC)

Please complete my fantasy and tell me that you winched it with Don
Ingraham at Cross Country Soaring?!

/Adam- Hide quoted text -

We *almost* winched it, but Barry's time in Immokalee was limited and
we wanted to make sure he received the required amount of dual hours w/
me before he left.
So we aero-towed high and then played. It is very comfortable and
quiet (Duo XL fuselage) with great viz and leg room. The first take
off behind a 150HP tow plane was predictibly slow off the line and a
mild x-wind started a wing dropping. I corrected and was surprised at
the immediate response of the big wing (we were in -2 flap setting).
This responsiveness kept a smile on our faces for the next hour-plus.
The flapperons are very light and the wing responds like magic. The
rudder is nicely harmonized with the ailerons and at 60-65 knots you
can go from 45 to 45 with firm,full deflection and the rudder keeps
the string centered with firm pressure. It's hard to just fly it
straight since it is so satisfying to roll into and out of turns! Once
centered in a thermal, it just stays where you put it. It does want
to drop a wing at stall, but opposite rudder and forward stick
recovers quickly. The huge dihedral makes slipping weird - you run out
aileron rather than rudder - but the 3-panel spoilers will take care
of most too-high situations and slipping was discouraged anyway.

The sustainer engine did it's thing with the flip of a single toggle
switch followed by a pull on the decompression handle. We lost 150
feet from the time we flipped the switch until we were climbing away.
It is loud though, and the frequency is painful. Next time - ear
plugs!

It goes so slow and is still responsive even with a lot of flap (L)
and runs fast and flat and quiet at -2. Beautiful flying sculpture
indeed. The fit and finish is flawless and the wing is a breathtaking
site from the back seat.
Wish *I* had one!!!! Maybe it's actually better to borrow a friend's
though....
Thanks Barry!
Don
http://www.crosscountrysoaring.com