DG-300 Water Ballast Bags

Old February 17th 10, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default DG-300 Water Ballast Bags

So I would like to start flying my DG-300 with water; but the previous
owner tells me that the bags weren't used for about the last 10
years. Rather than take a chance on them, I'd like to replace them.

My local DG dealer (whom I do appreciate) is saying its about $1000USD
per bag from the factory (I have the larger bags in my wings). I
don't have that kind of free cash, and I'm not a fan of the DG
leadership at the moment anyway.

....So I see from earlier threads that other people heartily recommend
the smiley bags, and the Eastern Sailplane website quotes a pretty
darned good price for the DG-300 (I'm assuming its for the smaller
bags, but that's OK). However, the last RAS post I can find claims
that Eastern Sailplane no longer offers them?

Can anyone confirm this? And if Eastern is out, do folks have any
recommendations? I see a few comments about "Clipper" in AU, but
that's a long way from the US and I'm not sure about ordering from a
waterbed company (not that I don't trust their product - just that its
probably something odd for them to handle and may be a complicated
order).

Any thoughts, comments, or recommendations?

Thanks!

--Noel

Old February 17th 10, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Feb 17, 3:28*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
So I would like to start flying my DG-300 with water; but the previous
owner tells me that the bags weren't used for about the last 10
years. *Rather than take a chance on them, I'd like to replace them.

Rather than discarding your bags just because they are over 10 years
old, remove them and inspect them. Unless they are obviously rotten
lay them out on the ground and fill them.

Tell us what they are made of and whether they leaked, then we may
tell you to fly with them, or chuck them.

Smiley bags are good for 20 years or more. I flew my ASW-19 for 15
years (1,500 hours) with no bag problems except one minor wear spot
that needed patching. I was the third owner and I'm pretty sure the
bags were fitted shortly after it was new. I did replace the bag root
fittings and fit piccolo pipes after the first season.

BTW before you pull the bags be sure you understand how they are
retained and, if there is a pull or retaining string, don't lose the
end in the wing!

Andy
Old February 17th 10, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Andy - thanks for the info but I *know* these are original factory
bags, not smiley bags. They've been in the ship since 1986, as far as
I know.

I appreciate all the tips and info (and am still open to any ideas on
a source for decent bags),

--Noel

Old February 17th 10, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Feb 17, 3:26*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
Andy - thanks for the info but I *know* these are original factory
bags, not smiley bags. *They've been in the ship since 1986, as far as
I know.

I second the idea of taking them out for inspection. If they're made
of shower curtain material, they're likely toast. If they're black
rubber like Smiley bags, chances are very good that if they don't leak
they'll go another season or two for you.

Be sure they don't get ondulated when you put them back in...

Thanks, Bob K.
Old February 18th 10, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Feb 17, 5:26*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
Andy - thanks for the info but I *know* these are original factory
bags, not smiley bags. *They've been in the ship since 1986, as far as
I know.

I appreciate all the tips and info (and am still open to any ideas on
a source for decent bags),

--Noel

Check em and see if they leak. I have factory original bags in the
center section of my 604 (circa 1973) and Clover Flying Service
(Smiley) bags in the outer panels that date back to about 1976. No
leaks. If you are intent on just taking them out and throwing them
away, I willl pay shipping to me so they don't end up in some
landfill. :-)

Steve
Old February 18th 10, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Feb 17, 5:28*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
[...]

If you actually bothered to call John Murray and ask him, he would
tell you that the "Smileys" have been out of production for years. He
has a couple of oddball sets left in the attic. I know 'cause I was
sorting through the dregs last Winter. Nothing for a DG-300.

Clipper quotes reasonable prices, shipping is, of course, expensive.
I have not seen their product, but folks have made several positive
reports here and on various sailplane owner groups. They are the only
non-oem source I know of at the moment. I am likely to be drawing up
the set of bags I'd like to have for my asw-20b and sending them out
for quotes, but I am not hopeful. I've talked to some rubber sheet
goods shops and they really weren't very enthusiastic about a run of 2
parts. Also had a mad thought about making a set of bags out of
commercial rubber roofing membrane and while this stuff is durable,
cheap and easy to bond it fails to provide what I consider adequate
tear resistance.

While on the subject... If anyone out there happens to have a set of
ASW-20B bags (40 gallon capacity) they'd be interested in selling or
swapping for ASW-20A Smiley bags (25 gallons, 1 year in service),
please contact me....

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old February 18th 10, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

I asked DG about testing the bags in DG303, 1998 manufacture date, and
they said to just fill them up and see if they hold water! They claim
no problems is water gets inside the wings as they will drain and dry
quickly. I have not tested the bags in my 303 yet but plan to when I
pull it out of winter storage. Pulling them out is my second choice
and appears to be pretty simple.

Ron Gleason
DG303 N303MR
Old February 18th 10, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Ron Gleason wrote:
I asked DG about testing the bags in DG303, 1998 manufacture date, and
they said to just fill them up and see if they hold water! They claim
no problems is water gets inside the wings as they will drain and dry
quickly. I have not tested the bags in my 303 yet but plan to when I
pull it out of winter storage. Pulling them out is my second choice
and appears to be pretty simple.

Ron Gleason
DG303 N303MR

I don't know how you can find minor leaks without pulling them out.
Other owners can tell you how to do the removal and replacement. Minor
leaks are easy to repair, I think, but hard to find when the bags are in
the wing.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

Water Bags Ramy Soaring 1 November 12th 14 07:22 PM
Leaking water ballast bags Itsaplane[_2_] Soaring 7 June 14th 09 02:44 AM
Water bags ASM Soaring 0 May 26th 07 08:00 PM
NEED BALLAST BAGS [email protected] Soaring 3 June 12th 06 05:04 AM
ASW-24 water bags Sam Fly Soaring 0 May 27th 05 11:08 PM