Older Cobra trailer behind RV

Old July 3rd 13, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Older Cobra trailer behind RV

I seem to remember something about older trailers having trouble
when towed with RVs, but I can't dredge up any info on the issue
with Google searches. Does anyone remember the scoop on this?
I bought an RV over the winter and will be towing my older model
(1984 I think) Cobra trailer with it to a contest later this month.

Thanks,
Matt
Old July 3rd 13, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, July 3, 2013 3:13:50 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I seem to remember something about older trailers having trouble when towed with RVs, but I can't dredge up any info on the issue with Google searches. Does anyone remember the scoop on this? I bought an RV over the winter and will be towing my older model (1984 I think) Cobra trailer with it to a contest later this month. Thanks, Matt

The issue was one of a few occurances of failure of tongues on older Cobras that have the round tongue.
2 things to do:
First, make sure you have a safety chain securely bolted to the body of the trailer in case of failure.
Second, regularly look for cracks near the welds.
Then- go have fun
UH
Old July 3rd 13, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

There have been quite a few instances of the round tongue of the trailer cracking. Most are from towing behind a vehicle with the trailer hitch mounted way behind the axle. Primary culprits are RVs.
The thought: If when you pull into a gas station or other driveway the trailer tongue hits the ground, it's trying to support the tow vehicle and can't. There's a temptation to use a low drawbar so the tail of the trailer sits up high and doesn't hit the road in these situations. If you want the tail higher, put a lift kit on the trailer (spacer between axle and trailer body) and keep the trailer level.
My current trailer had a cracked tongue, and it has never been towed behind an RV. Replaced with the newer square tongue available at Williams.
Hope this helps,
Jim
Old July 4th 13, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 3, 2013 12:13:50 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I seem to remember something about older trailers having trouble

when towed with RVs, but I can't dredge up any info on the issue

with Google searches. Does anyone remember the scoop on this?

I bought an RV over the winter and will be towing my older model

(1984 I think) Cobra trailer with it to a contest later this month.

Thanks,

Matt

Remove the screw-down wheel from the tongue as it is the first thing to hit and becomes the fulcrum as the rear of your motorhome continues down the curb and the tongue tries to lift the rear of your motorhome. Check for cracks just inside the trailer at every gas-up along with checking all tires and hot wheel bearings.
JJ
Old July 4th 13, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, July 4, 2013 8:27:30 AM UTC-4, JJ Sinclair wrote:
On Wednesday, July 3, 2013 12:13:50 PM UTC-7, wrote:

I seem to remember something about older trailers having trouble

when towed with RVs, but I can't dredge up any info on the issue

with Google searches. Does anyone remember the scoop on this?

I bought an RV over the winter and will be towing my older model

(1984 I think) Cobra trailer with it to a contest later this month.

Thanks,

Matt

Remove the screw-down wheel from the tongue as it is the first thing to hit and becomes the fulcrum as the rear of your motorhome continues down the curb and the tongue tries to lift the rear of your motorhome. Check for cracks just inside the trailer at every gas-up along with checking all tires and hot wheel bearings.

JJ

I always pull that wheel off, even just to pull the trailer over to the wash
stand. All the rest of the advice is great -- thanks, folks! I'll see you at
R3 UH, with glider still attached!

Matt