Airport Cafe

Old September 21st 05, 09:22 PM
Jay Honeck

"...his easy demeanor with the waitress..." - Guilty.

"...with a bit of egg yolk stuck in the corner of his mouth." This too.

Dang! I never realized that Rudy was actually living your future -- but,
you know, you could do worse in life than to grow old and become an airport
bum driving a cool old car...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 21st 05, 09:22 PM
George Patterson

Montblack wrote:

Alexis Park Inn and Suites
...we have crabs!

I was thinking more about the alligator-tail I saw on the menu of the "Landing
Zone Cafe" in Connecticut.

George Patterson
Old September 21st 05, 10:00 PM
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
-- but, you know, you could do worse in life than to grow old and become
an airport bum driving a cool old car...

Let me know where those two graphs meet for my 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan.

Montblack
Has this baby been restored, mister?
All paint is original, however, the trani was replaced near the end of the
last century.

Old September 21st 05, 10:37 PM
A Lieberman

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 04:09:07 GMT, john smith wrote:

A friend of mine just "retired" from running the Barnstormer Restaurant
at KOSU/Don Scott Field, The Ohio State University Airport.
He took over the operation after two previous operators, experienced in
the restaurant business locally, declined to renew their operating lease
with the airport.

Hi John,

Appreciate your input!

Decide what hours you are going to be open.
Breakfast (for the corporates and GA), lunch (for the GA crowd), or
dinner (aviation and general public)?

I want to cater to GA. Corporate would only be a "bonus".

Like Jay said in another post, the airport must be easily accessible to the
public and both airports in mind are very easy, MBO being much easier.
Plenty of morning regulars come in for their morning coffee.

Is this to be a "mom & pop" place?

Mom and pop place. I would envision regulars coming in and pilots being
the secondary though I would cater to pilots as best as possible. I want
it to be personable, and relaxed. My wife makes a mean bread pudding and
peach cobbler *smile*, and pastries. I have to watch my weight and
balances if I am not too careful

Who is going to take over if mom and/or pop get sick or have to take
care of something else?

It's not my primary income, so I won't be depending on the income. Like
Jay said, it's for the love of doing what I want to do.

If we can't make it, then the "closed sign" goes up. With my wife and my
work history in our current jobs, that sign won't be up too often.

This is a business that requires long hours. Don't count on having time
to get away to go flying.

Breakfast and lunch is all I am looking at. Nothing more, nothing less.
I'd envision breakfast foods more then lunch foods, as I am like Jay, I am
a morning warrior, and rather eat a good breakfast.

Allen
Old September 21st 05, 11:21 PM
Robert A. Barker

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Jay: Great story!!!!

As we all finished breakfast, Rudy looked us over with a gleam in his eye,
and asked the kids if they'd like to go see "an old, 1928 Packard." Not
sure how to respond, they looked at me with questioning eyes, and I
responded with a wary "Sure!" Soon we were ambling out to the parking
lot in Rudy's wake, trying to keep up.

The second car I owned was a 1927 packard. Of course it was black and
had
a straight six engine with pistons that looked like ash cans.One of my
buddies had
it's twin.He also had a 1926 Packard convertable with the big straight eight
engine
and rumble seat.That one had the spare wheels in the front fender wells and
LOTS
of chrome.

Bob ( old fart) Barker N8749S

Old September 22nd 05, 12:57 AM
Robert A. Barker

"Robert A. Barker" wrote in message

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Jay: Great story!!!!

As we all finished breakfast, Rudy looked us over with a gleam in his
eye, and asked the kids if they'd like to go see "an old, 1928 Packard."
Not sure how to respond, they looked at me with questioning eyes, and I
responded with a wary "Sure!" Soon we were ambling out to the parking
lot in Rudy's wake, trying to keep up.

The second car I owned was a 1927 packard. Of course it was black and
had
a straight six engine with pistons that looked like ash cans.One of my
buddies had
it's twin.He also had a 1926 Packard convertable with the big straight
eight engine
and rumble seat.That one had the spare wheels in the front fender wells
and LOTS
of chrome.

Bob ( old fart) Barker N8749S

I hate it when my fingers do thier own thing. That should
read 1937 Packard.The conv.is correct as a 1926.

Bob Barker

Old September 22nd 05, 01:54 AM
John Ousterhout

Montblack wrote:

Me on the phone to Pops:
"No, I don't want to drop everything to go look at some old cars."
"They're Packards, 100's of them - mostly black."
"I'll reschedule my afternoon and be there in 20 minutes!"

I would reschedule too...

At The EAA Northwest Fly-in in Arlington WA a few years ago there was a
great display of classic cars and classic planes parked together. I was
captivated by the Packard parked by a Staggerwing. I had my digital
camera with me and I spent a long time trying to get the crowd to move
back so I could get a good photo.

http://www.ousterhout.net/gallery/p7080020.jpg
http://www.ousterhout.net/gallery/p7080022.jpg

Intending to exploit this beautiful sight, I returned very early the
next morning with my 35 mm camera (w/ 28mm wide angle lens) but alas,
the Packard was gone.

I made a print of the second photo and sent it to the EAA Photo contest
where it won an honorable mention (and a nice set of Canon compact
binoculars).

- John Ousterhout -

Old September 22nd 05, 04:21 AM
Jack Allison

Paul's new futu Airport bum. He had practice doing the library bum
thing last year so it only seems logical

Let me know where those two graphs meet for my 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan.

Um...Jay specifically said *cool* old car. I believe it's universally
accepted that Dodge minivans are not cool. Sure, maybe they are "the
airplane of minivans" but cool? Nope. Functional? Yes, cool? No.

Ok Paul, so I forgot endearing. You got me on that one. No slack on
the non-cool minivan though. :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old September 22nd 05, 04:33 AM
George Patterson

Jack Allison wrote:

Um...Jay specifically said *cool* old car. I believe it's universally
accepted that Dodge minivans are not cool.

Maybe in 40 or 50 years they'll be cool? Definitely be old!

George Patterson
Old September 22nd 05, 07:11 AM
Montblack

("George Patterson" wrote)
Um...Jay specifically said *cool* old car. I believe it's universally
accepted that Dodge minivans are not cool.

Maybe in 40 or 50 years they'll be cool? Definitely be old!

Yeah, maybe those lines will never cross.

Montblack

Palo Alto airport, potential long-term problems... [email protected] Piloting 7 June 6th 05 11:32 PM
WI airport closure Mike Spera Owning 0 March 9th 05 01:53 PM
N94 Airport may expand into mobile home community, locals supportive William Summers Piloting 0 March 18th 04 03:03 AM
Rules on what can be in a hangar Brett Justus Owning 13 February 27th 04 05:35 PM