Kitplanes Marker Generator

Old January 12th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Kitplanes Marker Generator

Jim Weir wrote an article in the latest issue of Kiplanes (Feb '06)
about how to build a Marker Generator. Can anyone point me in the
right direction of some of the components he is using? Specifically,
the 32kHz clock IC, the op-amp IC, and the diodes going into the clock
IC. Also, I am assuming the capacitors are ceramic disk type and the
resistors are 1/4-watt. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,

Kent

Old January 12th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I'm not sure what you mean by "32 kHz clock IC", but if you mean the
oscillator itself, and the opamp, and the 32 kHz. crystal, and the diodes,
and the capacitors, and the resistors, you can find them all at
www.mouser.com or www.digikey.com

However, the question itself begs another question ... if you are this
unfamiliar with common garden variety parts, are you sure you want to
undertake this venture without another person's help that may have a bit
more experience in homebrewing electronic devices?

Jim

oups.com...

Old January 14th 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I apologize if my questions were vague. I am trying to find out if the
op-amps designated as U102A, B, C, and D are the typical 741 op-amp or
another type such as the 301 or 3140. I am assuming the resistors
shown in the schematic are 1/4 watt because it appears the circuitry is
not using much power. Also, I am assuming the capacitors are ceramic
disk as opposed to electrolytic because there is no polarity
designation shown in the schematic. Please let me know if my
assumptions are correct or if my thought process is flawed.

Upon further study of the tone generator schematic, it appears the
32kHz clock (crystal oscillator???) is another circuit that was
detailed in the September '04 article. The output of this clock feeds
into the digital dividers marked U101, U102, and U103. Can a generic
1N4001 diode be used in connection to the divider, or are there special
considerations that need to be taken into account?

Again, any help will be greatly appreciated. I am undertaking this
venture to calibrate my RST marker receiver.

thanks again,

Kent

Old January 14th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Hello !

I have followed the kitplane articles about the VOR/LOC/GS/MKR test box from
the beginning.
I would like to build the test box too, but I have a feeling that a list of
all needed electronic components would be a good idea.
Please Jim, can you put out a list so that we can have a test box that
really works ?

all the best,

Henning Dammann-Emden
Bremen, Germany