Why GA is Dying

Old July 24th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Default Why GA is Dying

If you see a child running towards a pool, do you stop it?

Children run towards pools all the time. They even jump in. That's
what pools are for.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 24th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

No-one checked the soles
of your shoes for explosives until someone
tried to blow up something with
explosives in their shoes either.

And now we all have to take our shoes off, which has added nothing to
the security of air travel. Nobody has examined my reading matter or my
carry-on food however. Do we have to wait for another tragedy when
somebody carries a book bomb on the airplane, or hides poison in a Big
Mac he's carried on board?

I can think of a hundred ways to cause mayhem on an airplane which do
not require explosives in shoes. You can too, I'm sure. Shouldn't we
be "protecting" the public?

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 24th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

How is that any different than your neighbors setting up a neighborhood watch program?

When I get accosted by a cop because I took a picture in somebody else's
neighborhood, it is no different. Perhaps cameras should be registered
weapons.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 24th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_1_]

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Dudley,

You seem to be missing the point.
Even if one assumes there has never been a single incident of someone
taking
a picture at an airport that has led directly to a security issue, which
may
or may not be the case BTW ; the fact remains that taking pictures at
airports has now been placed within the realm of a possible security
issue,
and as such, those taking these pictures at airports are well advised to
conduct themselves accordingly while on airport property.
The fact that this "disturbs" you as an individual, or that some person
you
challenge on Usenet to produce examples has absolutely nothing at all to
do
with the simple fact that taking pictures at airports falls directly into
security issue category for those entrusted with these issues.
Your argument is weak and flawed.

Hoho, talk about a dodge! Look, this is simple. You stated:

People who are taking pictures at airports unfortunately are now a
security
issue.

I asked you to back that statement up with fact. You can't. Nowhere in
your
statement do you qualify that "some people" perceive photography at
airports as
an issue. You simply state that it is. Well, it isn't. Not until you prove
otherwise.

See, that wasn't so hard, now, was it?

All right, let's "prove" the obvious for you.

Let me explain for you what's REALLY easy.
:-))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Why don't you stop this useless back and forth here with me and others where
it doesn't matter, and write a simple email to TSA where it does matter, and
ask THEM if the taking of photographs at major airports is, or is not, one
of the issues their security people are specifically trained to consider in
the airport security equation.
If their answer is no, then taking photographs at airports is not a security
issue as you have suggested. If the answer is yes, the issue of photography
at airports can indeed be a security issue as I have stated.

I don't know about the rest of the group, but I'll go with what TSA has to
say on this, as actually, I already know what they will say.
What TSA is going to tell you, just so we all have it straight beforehand,
is that people taking pictures at airports is one of many potential security
issues included on the airport security watch list. This doesn't mean that
all people taking pictures at airports should be or will be approached. It
means that the decision to approach someone taking pictures at airports is
left to the observing officer or officers and is based on criteria
concerning the taking of the pictures.

Now try and digest this if possible .
The MANNER in which a
security officer approaches someone taking pictures at an airport has
absolutely nothing to do with that fact that the taking of pictures can be a
security issue. That is another issue entirely, and I would be in agreement
with you that the system isn't all it could be personnel wise :-) Bit this
has nothing to do with photography being a security issue at airports. You
have to learn to differentiate between the two issues to be accurate, and
you are not being accurate with your argument.
Again, coming back to what we have been discussing here, the correct
response if approached by airport security while taking pictures is one of
polite and immediate cooperation with the approaching officer. Unless there
are extenuating circumstances as observed by the approaching officer, the
result of these "confrontations" is usually positive for the photographer. I
will add however, that responding as Emily and you are endorsing, by railing
on about your "rights", and the fact that you're not in a "restricted area"
is dangerous and can lead to unnecessary peripheral issues that could easily
have been avoided through prudent behavior.
I'll look for your posted answer from TSA.
Thank you
Dudley Henriques

Old July 24th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_1_]

"Jose" wrote in message
t...

Something doesn't become a security issue simply because a security person
says so.

In fact, this is the exact process used for determining what constitutes a
security issue.
:-)

Dudley Henriques

Old July 24th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_1_]

"Jose" wrote in message
t...
How is that any different than your neighbors setting up a neighborhood
watch program?

When I get accosted by a cop because I took a picture in somebody else's
neighborhood, it is no different. Perhaps cameras should be registered
weapons.

Jose

Your choice of the word "accosted" rather than the word approached is quite
interesting; revealing one might say :-))
Dudley Henriques

Old July 24th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Something doesn't become a security issue simply because a security person
says so.

In fact, this is the exact process used for determining what constitutes a
security issue.
:-)

Then we are no longer a free country, and should export our freedom to
other nations, since we are no longer using them.

Seriously, to allow the police to say what it is that consititutes a
police matter is =extremely= dangerous. We might as well let the TSA
decide whether little airplanes consititue a risk around big cities, and
politely accept their dictates there too.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 24th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

People have been detained, all across the country, for taking suspicious
amounts of pictures, as they were casing tall buildings. They were arrested
and deported, based on the types of pictures they had taken. Sounds like
there is a law, somewhere, supporting this.

Foreigners are not (and should not be) granted the same freedoms as
American Citizens when on American soil.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 24th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_1_]

"Jose" wrote in message
Something doesn't become a security issue simply because a security
person says so.

In fact, this is the exact process used for determining what constitutes
a security issue.
:-)

Then we are no longer a free country, and should export our freedom to
other nations, since we are no longer using them.

Seriously, to allow the police to say what it is that consititutes a
police matter is =extremely= dangerous. We might as well let the TSA
decide whether little airplanes consititue a risk around big cities, and
politely accept their dictates there too.

This is correct, and it's also the reason why the people deciding what
constitutes a security issue are indeed civilian and not police. Police are
simply the tool that implements these decisions.

Dudley Henriques

Old July 24th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

This is correct, and it's also the reason why the people deciding what
constitutes a security issue are indeed civilian and not police. Police are
simply the tool that implements these decisions.

The people who decide what consititues a security issue should not =be=
security people, civilian or not. Security peopls should =advise= our
leaders, but should not make the decisions, since it is in their best
interests that everything be a security issue.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.