Lithium technology batteries

Old December 19th 04, 02:20 PM
Ken Kochanski (KK)

Default Lithium technology batteries

Although the technology is still pricy vs lead-acid batteries, the
power/weight/size vs cost equation is getting better. Anybody using
lithium model airplane packs bundeled to produce 12 - 14 v @3 - 6 amps
as a power source for their glider? (I have been looking at the
duralite site ... I'm sure there are others.)
http://www.duralitebatteries.com/batteries.html

KiloKilo

Old December 19th 04, 03:22 PM
Bill Daniels

"Ken Kochanski (KK)" wrote in message
oups.com...
Although the technology is still pricy vs lead-acid batteries, the
power/weight/size vs cost equation is getting better. Anybody using
lithium model airplane packs bundeled to produce 12 - 14 v @3 - 6 amps
as a power source for their glider? (I have been looking at the
duralite site ... I'm sure there are others.)
http://www.duralitebatteries.com/batteries.html

KiloKilo

I've been watching this too. (The model airplane guys always seem to grab
the latest technology and run with it.) The early Li-Po batteries had some
problems with catching fire when charging but it's clear that the technology
has come a long way in the last year.

There are 14V Mil-Spec Li-Po packs that would be safer to use but the prices
are still astronomical. There are also some 14.8V laptop computer battery
packs that look interesting.

One thing that worries me is that a freshly charged Li-Po "14.8V" pack will
produce a no-load voltage over 16V. A lot of avionics specify that the
maximum voltage is 16V.

Bill Daniels

Old December 19th 04, 03:50 PM
WilLiscomb

voltage regulator
williscomb

Old December 19th 04, 04:15 PM
Vaughn

"WilLiscomb" wrote in message
voltage regulator

...or just a forward-biased diode or three.

Vaughn

Old December 19th 04, 06:54 PM
Eric Greenwell

Ken Kochanski (KK) wrote:

Although the technology is still pricy vs lead-acid batteries, the
power/weight/size vs cost equation is getting better. Anybody using
lithium model airplane packs bundeled to produce 12 - 14 v @3 - 6 amps
as a power source for their glider? (I have been looking at the
duralite site ... I'm sure there are others.)
http://www.duralitebatteries.com/batteries.html

Given the cost and careful charging requirements, I'm guessing the
interest in these is to allow more amphours to be stuffed into the
glider's original battery box? Eliminating the need for adding another
box when you added a transponder/Ipaq/etc would maybe make the Li
battery cost worthwhile. For example, from the Duralite site:

The recommended
safe charging procedure for all Li-ion & Li-Poly
batteries is to charge them out of the aircraft in a fire
proof area or container. Always be present during the
charging cycle. Unplug the batteries from charger when
charging cycle is complete.

Yikes!

I don't see any other advantages for gliders over the standard sealed
lead/acid batteries, which are cheap and trouble free.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old December 19th 04, 07:09 PM
tango4

"WilLiscomb" wrote in message
voltage regulator
williscomb

Hmmmm

Build a 'better' battery so that you can dump power into a voltage
regulator. Cute.

Actually the forward biased semiconductor junction in the form of a diode is
a much easier way to do things.

Ian

Old December 19th 04, 07:41 PM
Tim Ward

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
Ken Kochanski (KK) wrote:

Although the technology is still pricy vs lead-acid batteries, the
power/weight/size vs cost equation is getting better. Anybody using
lithium model airplane packs bundeled to produce 12 - 14 v @3 - 6 amps
as a power source for their glider? (I have been looking at the
duralite site ... I'm sure there are others.)
http://www.duralitebatteries.com/batteries.html

Given the cost and careful charging requirements, I'm guessing the
interest in these is to allow more amphours to be stuffed into the
glider's original battery box? Eliminating the need for adding another
box when you added a transponder/Ipaq/etc would maybe make the Li
battery cost worthwhile. For example, from the Duralite site:

The recommended
safe charging procedure for all Li-ion & Li-Poly
batteries is to charge them out of the aircraft in a ?re
proof area or container. Always be present during the
charging cycle. Unplug the batteries from charger when
charging cycle is complete.

Yikes!

I don't see any other advantages for gliders over the standard sealed
lead/acid batteries, which are cheap and trouble free.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Well, Li chemistry batteries have much better performance when it's cold
than either lead, NiCd or NiMH. So that might be a consideration for those
flying wave a lot.

Tim Ward

Old December 19th 04, 07:44 PM
Tim Ward

"tango4" wrote in message

"WilLiscomb" wrote in message
voltage regulator
williscomb

Hmmmm

Build a 'better' battery so that you can dump power into a voltage
regulator. Cute.

Actually the forward biased semiconductor junction in the form of a diode

is
a much easier way to do things.

Ian

You could use a step-up switching regulator. This would, of course, have
the minor drawback of eliminating the annual "6 or 7 cell" argument on RAS.

Tim Ward

Old December 19th 04, 07:50 PM
Eric Greenwell

Tim Ward wrote:

Yikes!

I don't see any other advantages for gliders over the standard
sealed lead/acid batteries, which are cheap and trouble free.

Well, Li chemistry batteries have much better performance when it's
cold than either lead, NiCd or NiMH. So that might be a consideration
for those flying wave a lot.

I wondered about that, but didn't happen across any temperature specs.
Do you have a link to one for these types of batteries?

This pilot's performance when he's cold tends to drop off faster than
his battery's performance, unfortunately! Maybe Li batteries would be a
better way to supply power to heated socks and gloves than the usual
alkaline or NiCd.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old December 19th 04, 07:58 PM
Atacdad

I looked at these guys earlier this year. Unfortuneately, they did not have
an "off the shelf" solution. Lithium without the fire hazard....

http://www.valence.com

AT