Multiple varios

Old December 15th 17, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

Default Multiple varios

or.....
I seldom look at a vario but rely on its audio tuned and honed to my brain. I've become so wired to the nuance of the Borgelt pitch, that when the speaker quit during a race, I turned on my 'back-up' CAI 302 audio only to discover it had a totally different pitch. WTF shot thru my brain and took more than a few thermals to get into some form of race mode. I had Tim jet me a new Borgelt overnight just for the audio.
Lucky (very) for me, progression into the CN xc as my back-up data logger, navigation, vario happens to have an audio pitch that matches my Borgelt.
The Borgelt also has, as others varios do, a AA battery back-up to come home on should an electrical issue arise.
After 14 years, 49 races, 3000+ hours of thermaling listening to the same audio, I know within 50'am the strength of the thermal, or sink.
The audio is critical to maintaining the highest level of safety towards aircraft separation and collision avoidance as well as information intake by......
keeping the eyes outside. Gliders, birds, gliders, clouds, gliders.....pig farm, walmart (got low), gliders, clouds.
I want two audios in my cockpit.
14 years? 3000 hours? gheez....boy do I suck at racing.

Old December 15th 17, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

"More is always better"? Hardware solution to a software (lack of skill) problem"

More seriously, systems failures a Long Way From Home over Moonscape and/or not wanting to abort a great flight are good reasons for an independent backup vario. Survival XC soaring using seat of the pants plus altimeter is not fun.

Or just to enjoy the beauty, precision, and sensitivity of the Sage/Schuemann mechanical vario. A stunning device.l
Old December 15th 17, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Friday, 15 December 2017 00:00:23 UTC+2, John Foster wrote:
Why do so many gliders seem to have multiple varios? Is it that critical to have a back-up for this instrument? Do they often fail and leave you in "
the lurch"?

I removed my mechanical backup vario when I upgraded my electronic vario.
My backup vario is XCSoar on an Android phone in my pocket. Sure, it's uncompensated but I've flown with uncompensated varios in the past and it's not that hard if you maintain a constant speed while thermalling.
If both fail and I can't stay aloft then I'll park my glider in a farmers field.
The same argument applies to relying solely on GPS vs using a compass and map as a backup. Where I fly if I get lost I'll just land out. No sweat.

I can understand people having backup instruments if they fly over hostile terrain with few out-landing opportunities.
Old December 15th 17, 08:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The mechanical vario is mandatory as per EASA glider certification (as mech. anemometer, mech. altimeter and mech. compass). The electronic vario is usually linked to the computer with many other features (final glide, etc...).
The concept behind that is: if you have a battery failure you still come back home with the 4 essential instruments.
Old December 15th 17, 09:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le vendredi 15 décembre 2017 07:17:22 UTC+1, Surge a écritÂ*:
I removed my mechanical backup vario when I upgraded my electronic vario.
My backup vario is XCSoar on an Android phone in my pocket. Sure, it's uncompensated but I've flown with uncompensated varios in the past and it's not that hard if you maintain a constant speed while thermalling.
If both fail and I can't stay aloft then I'll park my glider in a farmers

Try that in high wind conditions and rotors in the mountains, with landing sites 20 miles apart.
Been there, done that, no fun.
Old December 15th 17, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alex[_6_]

The mechanical vario is mandatory as per EASA glider certification (as mech. anemometer, mech. altimeter and mech. compass). The electronic vario is usually linked to the computer with many other features (final glide, etc...).

For my LS8 the vario is not listed as minimum equiptment. I have the new Air Avionics electronic altimeter which is ETSO certified and complies with the requirements stated in the LS8 maintenance manual.

I was not able to find any regulations prohibiting electric minimum instrumentation in EU or German national law. Do you have any reference to support your statement?
Old December 15th 17, 11:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Friday, 15 December 2017 10:07:15 UTC+2, wrote:
The mechanical vario is mandatory as per EASA glider certification (as mech. anemometer, mech. altimeter and mech. compass). The electronic vario is usually linked to the computer with many other features (final glide, etc...).
The concept behind that is: if you have a battery failure you still come back home with the 4 essential instruments.

You confuse airspeed indicator (which is mandatory) with variometer.
Old December 15th 17, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flgliderpilot[_2_]

Often there is just a mechanical vario and an electronic vario. One needs no power
Old December 15th 17, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

I have yet to fly a glider which has electrical and mechanical variometer that display identical signal all the time. Until then i feel that both mechanical and electrical variometers give more information about the airmass than single one.
Old December 15th 17, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Friday, December 15, 2017 at 10:12:52 AM UTC-5, krasw wrote:
I have yet to fly a glider which has electrical and mechanical variometer that display identical signal all the time. Until then i feel that both mechanical and electrical variometers give more information about the airmass than single one.

Mechanical plays hell with modern (pressure transducer type) electric on same TE circuit. In that event, the mechanical may well be giving the better information.

Results vary depending upon pneumatic impedance of your TE probe and other things...

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8

Varios For Sale [email protected] Soaring 1 December 14th 13 05:04 PM
Talking Varios glider[_2_] Soaring 10 May 19th 10 05:35 PM
Varios [email protected] Soaring 9 January 5th 09 08:51 PM
Opinions on Varios Bruce Soaring 8 March 1st 05 03:57 PM
Super Varios John Scott Soaring 1 February 25th 05 02:14 AM