O2, Question for medics.

Old March 21st 20, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default O2, Question for medics.

Excellent advice, Cindy.

And, whereas I have an absolutely zero propensity for panic, I will
bring my oximeter home today.* Heck, I might even remove the bottle and
dual MH system while I'm at it.* I'll even recharge it from my big bottle.

I'm very fortunate to live in sparsely populated mountainous country,
have an open interstate drive to Moriarty, and a Stemme!

On 3/20/2020 11:35 PM, wrote:
I was sick last October, achy, fever, congested. Five or six days later I woke at night and could hear chest rattle high in my lungs.
Brain finally kicked on, I said 'I'm hypoxic'. Dug out my oximeter and saw variable 80's. Sent hubby out to dig out a bottle from a glider in a trailer. Rest of the night I ran the mask on a low flow. Headache was finally gone.

Next morning the urgent care sent me to hospital. All I wanted was a prescription for the right antibiotics. Xray, five different folks listening to me take deep breaths with cold stethoscopes (hyperventilation anyone?).

Gave me IV dose of some -cillin, wrote a script, said go home and rest. $4500.
Two hours.
I knew what I needed before I drove in.

I borrowed a MH regulator, filled a fat big bottle. Wore the oximeter and snuffed oxy for five more days, whenever I dropped under 90. Took three weeks to rebound. Three more to mostly normal. I am a seriously healthy human before this event.

I now believe the rate of pneumonia deaths in elderly isn't the lung congestion, it's the crappy decisions while in severe hypoxia.

Should we think to use a glider oxy system to assist in emergency support? Absolutely. Pushing oxygen saturation back up to support not killing brain cells IS important. The typical pulsedemand or constant flow systems only support normal across tissue transfers by increasing the percentage of oxy available to absorb.

Will using oxygen help a severe covid19 case? Not likely. Oxygen won't drain fluid from lungs. Most folks don't have a pressure breathing system, like an old A-14 regulator.

How low will you go in O2 sats before going to the hospital? Anything under 90 should take corrective action.

Cindyb

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 21st 20, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

On Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 11:03:45 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Dan, 5J

I too live where we might not see a neighbor for weeks. However, Amazon will gladly deliver your own coronavirus to your door within or less than 24hrs. In spite of the article's headline, read down: the virus can stick to surfaces and last for that time period (though rather poorly). Delivery companies have largely suspended the signature requirement, but assume he/she has handled the package quite recently. Sometimes you just can't hide from trouble!

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/2862947001
Old March 21st 20, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Hey, maybe the porch pirates will take a vacation.* Or get a dose.

Thanks for the reminder, I'll leave packages on the porch for a couple
of days.* I can count the times my door bell has rung during the past 10
years on both hands.

Old March 21st 20, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dan ur waiting for a “big package” from overseas, what did u order another bird?
Old March 22nd 20, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobWa43

On Friday, March 20, 2020 at 12:02:00 AM UTC-4, FZ wrote:
There are a few hundred oxygen masks and O2 tanks in a gliding community. Are those of any potential use in a CronaVirus emergency?

The short answer is no. Oxygen delivery to the tissues is a result of a complex interaction of the circulatory and respiratory systems. In the case of the Corona virus, the problem is pneumonia which leads to abnormalities in the perfusion/ventilation ratio which no amount of oxygen can correct. Mechanical ventilation and other supportive measures are required.
As aside, I would also note that pulse oximeters are great but they are not infallible. There are many reasons why you might get an incorrect reading, especially in the less expensive models.
Old March 23rd 20, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Monday, March 23, 2020 at 7:19:53 AM UTC+13, BobWa43 wrote:

As aside, I would also note that pulse oximeters are great but they are not infallible. There are many reasons why you might get an incorrect reading, especially in the less expensive models.

Dr. Dan pointed out in his SoarRX article a few years ago that pulse oximeters are designed to be used sitting quietly in a chair, indoors and on the ground. Sitting in a glider in turbulence, a bit cold, and in bright sunshine is a rather different challenge for a device that relies on light transmission through the finger.
Old March 23rd 20, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

A pulse oximeter is quite reliable at cold altitudes in turbulence. It does not measure oxygen or hypoxia, but rather some molecule bound to hemoglobin that changes light absorption from 2 different LEDs (one IR, one red). Many units can't differentiate between wavelength absorp of bound carbon monoxide or oxygen, so you could get a reading of 98% but still have carbon monoxide poisoning (there are CO oximeters available) or hypoxemia. In any case, we've gotten off message. If you have a pulse oximeter, you can use it to assist your physician in determining if you should get tested for coronavirus or be hospitalized. When you have real data (temperature, low PO reading) rather than subjectively (under)-reported symptoms, that will almost surely get their attention....it's evidence. If you have minimal training, buy/borrow a cheap stethoscope or amped microphone and have someone listen for "crackling" sounds over both lungs from the back. Fluid buildup sounds like when you scratch your scalp on the hair line. I'll make you a deal; if you can't afford a basic PO ($8-$30), are 70 yrs old or care for such, I will commit to deliver at least 5 units (1/ea) to those making a request. That includes outside North America if AmazonGlobe-worthy. PM me

Someone in respiratory distress usually has impaired breathing, so a nose cannula might not be as helpful as a face mask to get them more oxygen. What might be more helpful is to loan your pulse oximeter to those at higher risk. This would help them decide if they should seek medical treatment, e.g., when ox sat falls below 90% (a common threshold to receive resp support is 88%). The catch is (no pun intended) a hospital is a good place to get pneumonia if you don't already have it.
Duster

Old March 23rd 20, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

You, Sir, are a hero!

I have both a pulse oximeter and a stethoscope and almost 72 years old,
but thanks for the offer!

Old April 7th 20, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This link
Old April 9th 20, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

For COVID-19 victims with poor O2 sat or high flyers, has anyone looked into a portable oxygen generating system to use at least as an adjunct to compressed O2? I've seen some that are battery powered and fairly light with several models claiming they work at 10,000ft - 13,000ft or more.