Free Checkrides at Marfa, Texas

Old February 13th 14, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Gonthier

Default Free Checkrides at Marfa, Texas

I took advantage of Burt's offer and completed my Commercial Glider Pilot addon in Dec. 2013 at Marfa, Texas. Burt runs a first class operation with an emphasis on safety. I had completed all my solo flights in a SGS 2-33 and 1-26 at my home glider port Cedar Valley Airport, Eagle Mountain, UT before heading to Marfa. I struggled a little to get comfortable with the higher performance ASK 21 but Burt worked to relax and ease my tensions. Burt has a well trained crew (tow pilot, and wing runner) which made the made the training flights run very smoothly gave me additional insight and safety concerns in the running of a glider operation (I fly the tow plane at Cedar Valley and my goal is eventually get the CFI-G and run a glider operation). The oral and checkride were thorough, complete and fair following the PTS.
This was my first visit to Marfa and West Texas which is spectacular scenery and very mild Dec. tempertures. We even did a little thermalling! The accomadations while not necessarily high end they were very clean and comfortable and best of all they were FREE! Thanks Burt (helped with the descision to go to Marfa as money is always a concren). Marfa is funky little town where cowboys and ranchers meet artists and hipsters. Lots of art galleries, shops, hotels, good restuarants and people watching. I hope to get back down to Marfa again.
For those people who are close to finishing their glider rating I highly recommend taking Burt up on his offer.