Exporting Glider to Australia from US

Old June 29th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bubba

Default Exporting Glider to Australia from US

Has anyone recently exported a glider from the US to Australia?
I haven't done this and want everything to go as smooth as possible.
I am looking to talk to someone that may be able to give me pointers
etc. If you can help, my email address is:

please remove numbers from email address to correct.

Thanks,
Wells
Old June 30th 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernie[_4_]

Hi Wells,
haven't done so myself, but the following link to a thread on the Aus-
Soaring mail list archive may help (issues as seen from our
end)...............

http://www.mail-archive.com/aus-soar.../msg12795.html

Regards, Bernie.

Old June 30th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernie[_4_]

On Jun 30, 10:20 am, Bernie wrote:
Hi Wells,
haven't done so myself, but the following link to a thread on the Aus-
Soaring mail list archive may help (issues as seen from our
end)...............

http://www.mail-archive.com/aus-soar.../msg12795.html

Regards, Bernie.

or

http://www.wikiglide.com/wiki/index....rting_a_glider

Old July 2nd 07, 10:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Wells:
I hit "reply to author", which is a different address. Couldn't see
enough of the one you added numbers to. Haven't heard back.
Sent a glider and trailer from California to New South Wales a couple
of years ago. The most important things a

Clean the glider and trailer so there is not a speck of dirt on them.
You must de-register the aircraft in the USA, and likely the trailer
in the state it's registered.
Get approval for the importation of the trailer from DOTARS prior to
shipping.
Apply for Australian registration for the glider prior to arrival.
Be certain not to use any wood with bark on it to chock the trailer in
the container.
Remember that containers get thrown around and dropped. Pack
accordingly.
Hire a good shipping agent.
If you are not an Australian resident, you will need to have a
"registered operator" in Australia.
Make a support for the tongue of the trailer so it doesn't sit on the
dolly wheel for the trip.
Make an electrical adapter to be able to connect to an Australian car
and drive away.
Use three ratchet straps (tongue, axle, tail) to hold the trailer
down. Nail wooden chocks into the container floor.
Before closing the container, check again for dirt. (I stress this as
Quarantine is a problem)

I'm easiest to contact via e-mail at the moment, am working in Europe.
Jim