New Zealand soaring movie

Old September 4th 16, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New Zealand soaring movie

One of the things we discovered during the filming of "Cloudstreet" is that continuity between scenes is difficult to manage. In one of the takeoff scenes, I climb into the cockpit wearing a dark blue shirt and somehow change into a white T-shirt for the launch. Embarrassing to professional filmmakers, but we just had to go with it due to the limited production budget (which was still astronomical to us).

And yes, shooting many flights and cutting together various scenes so that it appears to be one flight is a necessary tool. It can't be helped, especially with limited cameras and time aloft.

But that made it more fun.
Old September 4th 16, 09:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

=
it appears to be one flight is a necessary tool. It can't be helped,
especi=
ally with limited cameras and time aloft.

But that made it more fun.

Talking of films, I've never seen an explanation of why the Duo canopy
opened the wrong way after the flight in "The Thomas Crown Affair".
Dave

They modified the canopy opening side for continuity after the glider was seen flying left to right in virtually every shot (except where a chase plane crossed from one side to the other). You don't want the actors hidden by the opening canopy, and you absolutely don't want the glider suddenly and jarringly facing the opposite direction.
Old September 4th 16, 11:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sat, 03 Sep 2016 16:34:56 -0700, Bruce Hoult wrote:

I think it was shot all over the place! Many of the early gliding scenes
look to be along the side of the Remarkables, with Lake Wakatipu in the
background and even one or two glimpses of Queenstown.

Other scenes are obviously shot at Omarama, including the interview with
Ray Lynskey with the Buscott ridge and Mt Benmore in the background.

I thought some hills looked vaguely familiar.

I asked because I was trying to work out where the flight to Milford
Sound was supposed to have started.

I've never flown there, but the aerotow practice and first solo look to
me like Te Anau. I'm not entirely sure what strip they're using, but I
think quite possibly a now defunct one he

OK - at the start I was also looking to see if any of the historic clips
were taken on the original club strip at Omarama but didn't see any.

I believe the changes of clothing and hats are intended to artistically
indicate the passing of the months :-)

Fair enough, and I did notice one or two faces got older in the course of
the film.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 4th 16, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"They modified the canopy opening side for continuity after the glider was seen flying left to right in virtually every shot (except where a chase plane crossed from one side to the other)"

A reasonable assumption Bruce, but not quite. They were contractually obliged to shoot René Russo from her "good side", flipping the canopy to make it happen.

There are also interesting stories behind the producers wanting to cut the wings off the Duo to get the camera dolly closer, a replica that was made in the space of days and some amazing flying that never made it into the final cut.

Source: Tom Knauff, the pilot responsible
Old September 4th 16, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster

On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 11:57:59 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Long time ago I saw a neat movie about a father and daughter(?) learning to soar in New Zealand. Great scenery. Remind me the name of the movie?

Also, if my 14 YO son gets instruction and solos in New Zealand does the flight time and solo endorsement from a Kiwi certified flight instructor count directly towards a US Private Pilot-Glider certificate when he turns 16?

Mr. Harris,
I am not an authority on this by any means, but a review of the US FAR's (which are available online) would suggest the answer to your question is "Yes". Below are links that may assist in how this is done, but I suggest either waiting for an expert to reply on this matter or just contact an FAA examiner. The last link defines how and what flying experience is documented in FAA terms; helpful when you go over the logbook with the instructor/examiner. Who knows but it may be simpler than you think.

Michael

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi..._verification/

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-sa...-certification

http://www.flightsimaviation.com/dat...art_61-75.html

http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part61-51-FAR.shtml
Old September 5th 16, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Le dimanche 4 septembre 2016 16:56:29 UTC+2, a écritÂ*:
"They modified the canopy opening side for continuity after the glider was seen flying left to right in virtually every shot (except where a chase plane crossed from one side to the other)"

A reasonable assumption Bruce, but not quite. They were contractually obliged to shoot René Russo from her "good side", flipping the canopy to make it happen.

There are also interesting stories behind the producers wanting to cut the wings off the Duo to get the camera dolly closer, a replica that was made in the space of days and some amazing flying that never made it into the final cut.

Source: Tom Knauff, the pilot responsible

I heard another version still: it would have been to emulate the original movie with Steve McQueen, where the canopy opened to the right instead of the standard (for the 1-23) left...
Old September 6th 16, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I love that film. I sell it in the USA he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/video...born-Champions

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old September 20th 16, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom (TK)

I gave that movie to my Mom as a gift and from that point on flying with that "good looking man in New Zealand" was on here bucket list. She passed away before she could do it but I told Gavin the story when I flew in Omarama last year.
Old September 21st 16, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

After the initial success of the film, we adapted it as a promotion for gliding. We edited it down to 15 minutes and made it available to national gliding organisations to put their own commentary (own language) and it was produced in German, French, Italian and several other languages. They idea was to make it a giveaway promotion and the idea was to keep the price below $4. The idea worked and we produced over 60,000 copies. JOHN ROAKE