EFB - Kindle/iPad

Old December 14th 10, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
VOR-DME[_4_]

Default EFB - Kindle/iPad

Well JEPP has released a free app for JeppView on the iPad (free if you
already have a subscription, of course). There are plenty of reviews out
there for different tablets serving as EFB's, but from what I've seen
the reviews focus on functions and navigation ease. I have not seen any
serious discussion as to which type of display really works in the
cockpit.

The bi-stable or "e-print" type of display, as in the Kindle, is like a
book. It is not backlit, and is great in full sunlight. The iPad is of
course backlit, and is useable at night, but may be hard to read in
bright daylight. In the cockpit, of course, we do both. We fly in bright
light and we fly at night. Statistically, we do more bright daylight
flying, even IFR, than night. I've never used a Kindle, but I'm guessing
at night you need to shine a light on it, just like a paper chart. My
cockpit is set up to be able to light charts at night. I have used
plenty of computers etc in the day, and it's true in bright daylight
they can be hard to see.

Anyone have opinions or experience to suggest where we're going with
this?

Old December 15th 10, 12:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
tscottme

"VOR-DME" wrote in message
[...]

I haven't used the Jepp product but I've had my Kindle for about a year.
It's awesome for books and free internet surfing at no additional charge.
The display is very comfortable to stare at for long periods. You are right
you would need a light to read the Kindle at night. The most widely used
accessory light for Kindles are the Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 clip-on light.
It runs on 3 AAA batteries for approximately forever. This version, versus
the Mighty Bright Flex, has 2 bright LEDs and the ability to shine one, two,
or no light. I typically always use the high setting. The Kindle does
better the more light you throw on it, like paper. And if the old eye elves
visit you you'll really appreciate the extra light. I tried using some of
my collection of cockpit flexible neck flashlights and the Mighty Bright2 is
much better suited for the Kindle. Virtually everyone, including me,
underestimates the readability and comfort of the screen until they use one.
It's far more comfortable to look at for long duration than a laptop since
it reflects light and doesn't project light. I have the Kindle2, prior to
this current version, and the current model's screen is widely reviewed as
being a bit better in contrast and clarity by a small amount versus my model

If anyone else is considering a Kindle, I'd highly recommend the wi-fi/3G
model unless you are absolutely 100% sure you will never be out of wi-fi
range. The $139 wi-fi only model is being bought in larger numbers than the
wi-fi/3G version and new users are being surprised that it only downloads
books and surfs the web near a wi-fi hotspot. This is the first year a
Kindle version is available that doesn't include the cellphone connection so
older users are raving about their Kindle and neophytes are buying the
cheapest version and getting surprised. BTW, it connects to the Sprint data
network. I surf the web about 2 hours per day on mine including places
where there are more cows than cellphones and data is easy to come by. Did
I mention no monthly fee or data charge? It is awesome to get a new book in
about a second after you press "buy." You can carry the FAR/AIM plus any
text files you want to download. If you have a aviation weather site you
prefer tell me and I'll give you my impression of what the radar map looks
like on the Kindle screen. Kindle is only greyscale and some of the weather
radar maps show up essentially as monochrome, some others have sufficent
color gradient to work on the Kindle.

It is about as heavy, minus the light, as one or two of the old TV Guide
magazines. It's is about as think as a yellow legal pad. Battery life with
"wireless" turned off is a week or two. The one thing I'd want to change is
the labels on the keyboard keys are small. In turbulence I'd expect I'd
have some difficulty, with my old prescription glasses, seeing the qwerty
keyboard as readily as I'd like. I suspect the new model is a bit better in
this regard since it has a graphite grey case with white letters while my
model is off-white with grey letters.

--

Scott

What's the difference between California voters and the passengers on the
Titanic?
- The passengers on the Titanic didn't vote to hit the iceberg. (Dennis
Prager)

Old December 16th 10, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Gulfside

I've been using the iPad 3g with Foreflight for the last six months.
Check out the Foreflight web site for features.
Tried many "PFD's" over the years, The iPad/Foreflight is miraculous.
Annnndddd, for only $75.00 per year for Foreflight subscription, my Jepp
days are finally over! My charts / plates now update automatically rather
than hunt and tear; that alone is priceless. The other features are simply
too numerous to list. The cost of iPad and Foreflight subscription is
considerably less than annual Jepp subscription. Charts are finally becoming
a commodity.

Old January 21st 11, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
tscottme

"Peter" wrote in message
As far as I can see, the Kindle has no directory (folder) support, so
it is no good for organising any data.

If one could connect it to a PC (using wifi perhaps) and drag/drop a
directory structure onto it, it would have a lot of uses.

As it stands, it is useful only with dedicated apps, or with data
organised as indexed PDFs and not too many of them...

It has folders, they are called "collections". You create, delete, and
access them through the Home page, just as you would pick a book to read.

You can also make AZW files that link to other locations and files and
transfer the AZW file to the Kindle.

--

Scott

The big surprise with the current president is not so much that he is
incompetent, inexperienced and divisive, but the extent to which he is all
of those things, and the extent to which anyone is surprised. It's not like
there weren't enough warning signs on the way in, all of which were
summarily dismissed. - Jules Crittenden