ultralight video

Old November 30th 05, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default ultralight video

I rarely post here, but when I saw this video I knew I had to share it.
I used to think I wanted an ultralight, but now I know better.

http://ehowa.com/showmovie.shtml?mov...lightcrash.wmv

Dave

Old November 30th 05, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote:
I rarely post here, but when I saw this video I knew I had to share it.
I used to think I wanted an ultralight, but now I know better.

http://ehowa.com/showmovie.shtml?mov...lightcrash.wmv

Dave

A movie entitled _Ernie's House of Whoop Ass_ is about ultralight
aircraft?

Old December 1st 05, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Thats what I found. Flying 2 strokes 5 mph above stall in a draggy UL
doesn't leave much room for error.
==================
Leon McAtee
Been there done that :-(

Old December 1st 05, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote:
I rarely post here, but when I saw this video I knew I had to share it.
I used to think I wanted an ultralight, but now I know better.

http://ehowa.com/showmovie.shtml?mov...lightcrash.wmv

That video ends shortly after the engine cuts off and
right after the craft seems to start shaking. At that point it
is still up in the air and it is not really clear if it is gliding
or stalled. The video does not continue to the crash. Is that
all there is?

Do you suppose the vibration caused the camera to shut off
while still in the air?

--

FF

Old December 1st 05, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

When I watched it the ultralight fell into the trees and made it about
halfway down before the camera cut out. Then the list of injuries
began scrolling up the screen.

Dave

Old December 1st 05, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

When I watched it the ultralight fell into the trees and made it about
halfway down before the camera cut out.

Yes, and you can also see that, before the shutdown of the engine, the
guy is pulling the yoke quite a bit to gain altitude.
Looks to me that he was pushing the plane over the limits, and the
engine shutdown resulted in a catastrophic failure. Had the rate of
climb been less steep, he probably would have made it back to earth in
a quieer way. As far as I can tell, there were many places where to
land safely, around there.

Anyway, an ultralight is as dangerous as any other plane, IF NOT WELL
MAINTAINED.

Piero

Old December 2nd 05, 12:04 PM
Chris Wells Chris Wells is offline
Senior Member

There's nothing in this video that indicates ultralights are dangerous. Pilot error takes out all kinds of aircraft and their passengers. If that guy had been paying attention and not "flying the engine" he would have been fine. I'd rather be in a well-designed ultralight than a larger single-engine aircraft anyday, if the engine went out.

(and yes, I realize the chances of an engine-out are much, much higher in an ultralight. I can survive after landing a Moyes Dragonfly in a suburban backyard, probably uninjured. I don't think I'd fare as well in a Cessna.)
Old December 2nd 05, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

http://ehowa.com/showmovie.shtml?mov...lightcrash.wmv

A movie entitled _Ernie's House of Whoop Ass_ is about ultralight
aircraft?

The major part of what I saw was popups.

Old December 5th 05, 10:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I can survive after landing a Moyes Dragonfly
in a suburban backyard, probably uninjured.

Sure, but only if you don't flatten the tulips.
If you do you have to survive the broom attack of the realy-really mad,
red-haired, teeth grinding, screamig housewife, owner of the "Landing
strip" that will chase you through the neighborhood trying to break a
broom handle over your back.

I'd rather fly in a thunderstorm with a hang glider... :-)))

Piero