Getting the bug for a new plane

Old August 7th 03, 04:10 PM
Jay Honeck

Well, fortunately, my exerience with my new 172 over the last
20 months of ownership has been much more positive. Only two
squawks, really. After only one month, the transponder failed
and was down for three weeks as I waited for Honeywell to get
me a new one.

What could possibly take 3 weeks to get a transponder?

Unless there was more to it than just a bad unit, we're talking about a five
minute replacement job.

Or do the new Cessnas come with some weird, unusual transponder that no one
else stocks?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 7th 03, 05:24 PM
Gerry Preston

Jay Honeck wrote:

What could possibly take 3 weeks to get a transponder?

Good question. When I complained to Cessna, they sent me to a
large avionics sales and service dealership 50 miles away.
This dealer had a replacement on the shelf and just swapped it
for the bad one. Never really knew why the first shop took so
long; they kept telling me they had sent the old unit to
Honeywell, and Honeywell was telling them they were
temporarily out of stock, awaiting a shipment from the
off-shore manufacturing facility.

Old August 7th 03, 06:16 PM
john smith

Jim Fisher wrote:
If you pack lightly, stay in hotels, then speed and the Cirrus may be
better.
But if you don't have the experience, take your time and work up to it.
You will live longer.

The statistics would appear to not support that statement. What's your beef
with Cirrus?

Which statement?
The one about packing lightly?
I don't think the Cirrus has the cabin volume or center of gravity range
in the baggage area due to the pinched empenage.

Or building time and experience?
You mean Thurmond Munson syndrome? Having the money to buy the aircraft
but not the experience to fly it.
Accident statistics bear this out. That's why insurance costs less as
you build time and experience.
Old August 7th 03, 10:43 PM
Tom S.

"john smith" wrote in message
You mean Thurmond Munson syndrome? Having the money to buy the aircraft
but not the experience to fly it.

???

IIRC, Munson had two instructors in the plane with him when he crashed.

Old August 8th 03, 04:27 PM
Maule Driver

"Tom S." wrote in message
"john smith" wrote in message
You mean Thurmond Munson syndrome? Having the money to buy the aircraft
but not the experience to fly it.

???

IIRC, Munson had two instructors in the plane with him when he crashed.

Thank goodness he wasn't a doctor...

It's funny how we file events like that away in our heads.

Old August 10th 03, 11:47 PM
john smith

"Tom S." wrote:
IIRC, Munson had two instructors in the plane with him when he crashed.

Right. And where were they sitting?
Not in the right seat.
Not in the left seat.

Old August 11th 03, 01:48 AM
Tom S.

"john smith" wrote in message
"Tom S." wrote:
IIRC, Munson had two instructors in the plane with him when he crashed.

Right. And where were they sitting?
Not in the right seat.
Not in the left seat.

The porta potty?

IIRC, one instructor was in the left seat and one in the "jump seat".
(Memory dims after 25 years).