ECI vs. Millenium vs. Continental cylinders

Old August 9th 03, 03:08 AM
Cooper Randy

Default ECI vs. Millenium vs. Continental cylinders

I've read through the archives.... but would still like to hear a few more
real world experiences before I spend $7-8K on a set of IO-520 cylinders.

Anybody out there have enough hours on an overhaul using new ECI Cermi-Nil
cylinders to write home about? How about Milleniums? I'm especially
interested in hearing how the IO-520 size ECI's are holding up.

Also... anybody else out there with IO-520/O-520 conversion had problems
with the stock 182 motor mount coming apart? How about stock O-470 with a 3
blade Hartzel Scimitar? Seen any motor mount problems?

-randy cooper

Old August 9th 03, 04:39 AM
Newps

As for the cylinders get either new ECI's or first run Milleniums.
Those would be Milleniums with about 1000 hours on them and then all new
innards. That way you know you've got good ones that won't crack. The
Pponk 520 engine for the 180/182 doesn't have any problems with the
stock engine mount. Get the 3 blade if you want better acceleration but
slower cruise.

Old August 9th 03, 07:53 AM
Ben Jackson

In article k.net,
Cooper Randy wrote:
Anybody out there have enough hours on an overhaul using new ECI Cermi-Nil
cylinders to write home about?

I nearly bought a Comanche with an O-540 with 300 hours since a field
overhaul to new limits with Cermi-Nil in 1996. It had flown about
50 hours each of the first 6 years and then sat for a year and a
half. The last annual after the 50h/yr period had one cylinder down
to 65/80 and the rest in the low-mid 70s. The "fresh annual" done
after it had gone on sale, and after having flown only about 6 hours
in 14 months had better compressions on all jugs (for whatever that's
worth), but after it flew for about 3 more hours and I had my prebuy
done the worst was down to 63/80 and low 70s. Most of that sitting
around was done on clean oil, since the idle period started with an
annual. The oil still looked brand new when I did my test flight.
Obviously it didn't fly enough at the end to say anything meaninful
about oil consumption.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/