182RG question

Old May 12th 05, 02:30 AM
Paul Anton

Default 182RG question

I am hoping to tap some of the expertise here to solve a problem I have run
into.

I am a retired guy who was called by a local Part 141 school to fill in as
their flightline mechanic until they could find a permanent A&P. They have
an early 182RG (serial 141) that has an ongoing electrical problem.

My first question concerns the ammeter. I have definitely confirmed that the
ammeter is defective. It appears like the ENTIRE gage cluster will have to
be replaced. The parts manual shows that the original gage is not available.
A supersession was listed which also consisted of a single gage. However
when this was pursued it was not available as a single replacement.

So my question is has anyone come up with a solution for a single defective
gage in this cluster that does not involve replacing the entire thing? How
about an instrument shop that would rebuild the ammeter? I have been unable
to find an instrument shop that would bother with an ammeter.

Here's my second question. I think the reason the ammeter broke is that it
simply wore out. The voltage and hence the current is constantly varying.
The original ammeter needle was oscillating so much that you couldn't tell
if the system was charging or not. I put a test ammeter in series and the
although the ammeter could be read, it was still oscillating. A check with
an analog meter showed fluctuations that increased in frequency as the RPM
was increased. Ditto for increasing the load. A scope shows about 900 mv
peak.

Persons before me have replaced the alternator and regulator. (a note here,
the regulator is the simple 3 wire unit)
All grounds were cleaned and remade.

Any hints of where I should begin my search would be greatly appreciated. I
have to pull this beast out of the hanger to run it up. With out Northwest
weather I haven't had two clear days to work on it outside and I'm too old
and stiff to do a lot under the panel. So any hints or experience of a
similar trouble would really be appreciated.

I'm going to jumper the alternator field portion of the dual master switch
to start with but beyond that ----------------

Thanks in advance

Paul Anton

Old May 12th 05, 02:47 AM
Kobra

Have you tried posting to a type club for the Cessna 182 line? They are
full of great ideas such as you are asking.

I know there is a general Cessna club for such things.

Kobra

Old May 12th 05, 02:58 AM
john smith

Any digital options?
Old May 12th 05, 03:07 AM
omk

Any hints of where I should begin my search would be greatly

appreciated. I
have to pull this beast out of the hanger to run it up. With out

Northwest
weather I haven't had two clear days to work on it outside and I'm

too old
and stiff to do a lot under the panel. So any hints or experience of

similar trouble would really be appreciated.

I'm going to jumper the alternator field portion of the dual master

switch
to start with but beyond that ----------------

Thanks in advance

Paul Anton

May want to check with Paul Malkasian up in Sequim, (360)683-6245, he
has a very good reputation for rebuilding all kinds of OEM Cessna
gauges. Also, before further experimentation, verify you do not have an
automotive regulator - VERY bad deal on airplanes. Unlike aircraft
units, turning off power to the S pin (turning off half of a split
master) does not cut field to the alternator, but shuts off the
regulator itself, resulting in easy 90-100V out of a healthy alternator
at high RPM.

Old May 12th 05, 04:38 PM
Paul kgyy

Don't overlook something as simple as a slipping belt.

Old May 12th 05, 09:55 PM
Ross Richardson

Paul Anton wrote:

[...]

I have a Cessan-172 that had a serious ammeter swinging problem. Mine is
the '65 model with the push-pull switches for the master. My A&P
installed a mil grade DPST toggle switch. No reoccuring problems. The
Cessna switch had enough resistance in the alternator side of the switch
(this model does not have the split switch) to disrupt the regulator. If
you ever take one apart, you will see how cheaply they are made.

--
Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old May 16th 05, 02:50 AM
Chuck

I'm not an A&P, but have some electronics/electricals background.
Normally when you see that much oscillation in a ammeter, its either
the diodes in the alternator or the voltage regulator.

A local school was having the same problem with a recently acquired
Cherokee -- the neddle swung back and forth a good 10-15 amps varying
as the load changed. Got to checking and found an unmarked voltage
regulator in it. Checked with the owner who says "Oh yea, its from a
Saab! Works good, doesn't it?"

So, don't discount a wrong part in it. Just because its "worked"
doesn't mean its the right part.

Chuck

Old May 16th 05, 06:21 AM
Juan Jimenez

wrote:

My first question concerns the ammeter. I have definitely confirmed that
the
ammeter is defective. It appears like the ENTIRE gage cluster will have to
be replaced.

Here's my second question. I think the reason the ammeter broke is that it
simply wore out.

Paul, I've started working in avionics and aircraft electrical systems in
1979. I've never seen an ammeter "wear out".

The voltage and hence the current is constantly varying.
The original ammeter needle was oscillating so much that you couldn't tell
if the system was charging or not.

Seems to me that if you verified that the current was oscillating, the
ammeter is not broken. I would suggest that you pull circuit breakers and
see if you can isolate what system is making the ammeter oscillate like
that. If your alternator and regulator have been recently replaced and they
check out OK, there aren't that many systems in a 182RG that can make the
ammeter behave that way.

Old May 16th 05, 05:55 PM
Ross Richardson

wrote:

[...]

Check the master switch. On my Cessna I had a world of problems with
their switch producing the same ammeter oscillations. On this model it
is a single throw/double pole switch. The VR does not like high
resistance and that is what it was getting with the cheap Cessna switch.
One could use a good military grade switch with much better results.

--
Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old May 16th 05, 05:58 PM
Ross Richardson

wrote:

[...]

A Cessna master switch can cause the problem. See earlier post.

--
Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP