Actual Time in Sacramento

Old December 16th 05, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Actual Time in Sacramento

On 15 Dec 2005 22:35:35 -0800, Robert M. Gary wrote:

Sometimes it can be distracting. My first IFR approach was into MRY
with ceilings at 800. I broke out, started looking for the airport and
flew right through the LOC looking for the airport. Lesson, learned.
Keep flying the ILS until you see the runway.

What happened to me, was that I had to apply a 40 degree correction to the
right account for 40 knot winds quartering headwinds, and I broke out
looking for the airport and found it 40 degrees off my nose to the left,
Totally confused me at first as first instinct when breaking out is to see
it off the nose.

Luckily, I kept flying the ILS as you advised above til I got myself
visually oriented.

Strange sensation to put all our faith into the instruments, and break out
and no airport off the nose of the plane..... It was at my 10:00.

Allen
Old December 16th 05, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

three-eight-hotel wrote On 12/16/05 06:51,:
So... having no actual time, under my belt, how would you typically go
out and practice your approaches? Would you file an IFR flight plan to
SAC or MHR and request multiple approaches in the air, or would you
popup out of O61 and contact NORCAL requesting "practice?" approaches
into MHR/SAC?

My 2 cents.

Although I flew actual with the instructor, I was wary of flying actual
on my own. So pretty much by default, I waited until I needed to do a
departure with a now closed in airport. It was fine, but I think now
unecessary. The valley is ideal for actual training. File from the bay area
in the clear, IFR all the way. Then, you will be on system, get a nice
letdown into the clouds over the valley, and some nice approaches, then
back into the clear and home. Hell, if you get nervous or tired,
you could even just ask to up and out of it for a while.

I've done most of my actual in the valley, usually into Stockton south
of there. I also discovered a nice trick from my instructor, to request
"delaying vector". If you find you are tired, falling behind or need
to get reorganized, you ask for that, and relax and get prepared again.
After an hour of actual approaches, you can get pretty tired.

Old December 16th 05, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

A Lieberman wrote On 12/16/05 12:02,:
[...]

And here I will **** everyone off:

That's why you need the GPS. Much better situational awareness.

Old December 17th 05, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Scott Moore wrote:

Strange sensation to put all our faith into the instruments, and
break out and no airport off the nose of the plane..... It was at my
10:00.

Allen

And here I will **** everyone off:

That's why you need the GPS. Much better situational awareness.

How would that help? Unless the GPS knows your heading (and most don't), the map display will be
ground track up, and will show the airport straight ahead. This could just confuse the situation even
further.

Mike
Old December 17th 05, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On 12/16/2005 4:20 PM, Mike Adams wrote:
Scott Moore wrote:

Strange sensation to put all our faith into the instruments, and
break out and no airport off the nose of the plane..... It was at my
10:00.

Allen

And here I will **** everyone off:

That's why you need the GPS. Much better situational awareness.

How would that help? Unless the GPS knows your heading (and most don't), the map display will be
ground track up, and will show the airport straight ahead. This could just confuse the situation even
further.

Mike

Right. I was taught to be aware of my wind correction angle, and
the direction I will need to look for the airport when I finally
break out.

Sacramento, CA
Old December 17th 05, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

No, you need to hear "cleared to...".

Got it!!!

Old December 17th 05, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Got it!!! ;-)

Old December 17th 05, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

I also discovered a nice trick from my instructor, to request
"delaying vector". If you find you are tired, falling behind or need
to get reorganized, you ask for that, and relax and get prepared again.
After an hour of actual approaches, you can get pretty tired.

I haven't heard of doing that, but it sounds like a great thing to
remember! I recall being vectored waayyyyy out on occaision, for some
unknown reason. It was always a great chance to relax, reorganize and
prepare for the next approach. Thanks for the tip!

Old December 19th 05, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Strangly in some cases they don't provide that service for VFR
instrument approaches. For some reason when you get practice approaches
into Lincoln, CA you are always told "no seperation services provided".
Not sure what is so special about that airport because I've never been
told that anywhere else.

-Robert

Old December 19th 05, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Call the TRACON and ask them, it is probably in their
"letter of agreement" and VFR is always responsible for
separation, even if the radar says they are giving you
traffic.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

Merry Christmas
Have a Safe and Happy New Year
Live Long and Prosper
Jim Macklin
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
| Strangly in some cases they don't provide that service for
VFR
| instrument approaches. For some reason when you get
practice approaches
| into Lincoln, CA you are always told "no seperation
services provided".
| Not sure what is so special about that airport because
I've never been
| told that anywhere else.
|
| -Robert

I want to build the most EVIL plane EVER !!! Eliot Coweye Home Built 237 February 13th 06 04:55 AM
Good Instructors... doc Piloting 52 December 5th 04 10:20 PM
First Solo In Actual Conditions David B. Cole Piloting 22 September 3rd 04 11:40 PM
First Time Buyer - High Time Turbo Arrow [email protected] Owning 21 July 6th 04 07:30 PM
Why was the Fokker D VII A Good Plane? Matthew G. Saroff Military Aviation 111 May 4th 04 05:34 PM